Share Facebook

08-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
healingman

My Support Groups:
Dark Green Poop

Anyone have any ideas of things I can try? My GI doc and I are stumped. I've had dark green poop sticky poop for about five weeks. I'm on a protein powder diet because whenever I eat real food I almost invariably have an accident - but the poop color and consistency are the same with either diet. Thanks!

Last edited by healingman; 08-14-2017 at 09:49 PM.
08-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
cmack

My Support Groups:
Have you had a stool sample taken?
08-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
healingman

My Support Groups:
Yes, I have had a stool sample. Everything was normal / negative except that there was evidence of inflammation.
08-15-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is a thought only - not completely sure. I had this a few times when my crohn's was really active. I was told it was due to a failure to re-absorb bile. I can see this as being possible due to that wonderful green colour that shows up with good puking sessions.

If this is correct, it could narrow down some of the inflammation to your colon as I believe that is where bile is supposed to be absorbed.
08-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Scipio

My Support Groups:
Are you taking iron tablets? Those often produce a dark green color for me.
08-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
healingman

My Support Groups:
Thanks Shamrock and Scipio.

I looked up bile malabsorption and found out that I don't have any of the symptoms it causes except for green poop. So I don't think that's the cause.

I was taking iron pills until a few days ago. So far no change. If they are a contributing factor, they're not the only one, because I've been taking the iron for many months, but have only had dark green poop for about five weeks.

Last edited by healingman; 08-15-2017 at 02:36 PM.
08-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
cmack

My Support Groups:
I agree that it could be due to bile. I think if it were me I would ask the doctor about that. Also(this one is kind of obvious) I wonder do you eat a lot of spinach or other greens?
08-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
healingman

My Support Groups:
Thanks Cmack. I will ask my doctor about the bile the next time I see him, which will be soon.

Another symptom I've had is having accidents (fortunately they've almost all been at home) when I eat regular food. So for the last couple of weeks, I've been on a protein powder diet (it's a brand that is specifically for people with IBD and IBS).
08-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
cmack

My Support Groups:
Good luck. Let me know what you find out.
08-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
Jabee

My Support Groups:
Is your doctor going to look for the source of the inflammation? Accidents would mandate a colonoscopy, I would think, as well as a stool sample that showed inflammation. You are having dark green poop and incontinence (which suggests urgency). If the latter part of your ileum isn't working properly it could cause these problems. You could try taking a bile acid sequestrant like cholestyramine or colestipol (your doctor could prescribe it) just to see if it helps. Iron can turn poop rather dark green, but if I miss a day my poop reverts to a pale color again. Good luck.