Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Newly diagnosed and considering surgery

08-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
sloshywalnut

Newly diagnosed and considering surgery

34 years old, never had issues until 4 months ago started seeing blood in stool. Then mucus. Colonoscopy and MRI showed inflammation. GI doc put me on antibiotics. Afterwards still see bleeding. Intermittently. I really dont have any other symptoms.

I got feedback that if I see a surgeon that he will want to cut now that its early before scarring.

How long did anyone else try to heal themselves before going straight to surgery?
08-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
hedge

My Support Groups:
Jumping right into surgery after a diagnosis seems rushed. Get a doctor you trust and try to "treat" the symptoms
08-17-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
produff26

So many therapeutic options available that I would exhaust those before opting for surgery.

Also, make sure the diagnosis is correct. Colitis and diverticulitis are treated differently than Crohns.

Always get a second and even third opinion to be sure of a correct diagnosis.
08-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Bufford

My Support Groups:
Don't rush it. Now is the time to do research and it would be good to get a second opinion. There are a lot of drug therapies, and natural remedies including diet and lifestyle changes to consider first. Surgery should be a last resort.
08-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I agree. Don't jump into surgery.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
09-30-2017, 03:41 AM   #6
PonchoRider1389

34 years old, never had issues until 4 months ago started seeing blood in stool. Then mucus. Colonoscopy and MRI showed inflammation. GI doc put me on antibiotics. Afterwards still see bleeding. Intermittently. I really dont have any other symptoms.

I got feedback that if I see a surgeon that he will want to cut now that its early before scarring.

How long did anyone else try to heal themselves before going straight to surgery?
Hey pal. 15 year vet here. What was you diagnosed with? Crohn's? Colitis? Hemroids? Diverticulitis? And let me guess flagyl? And as far as surgery. Find out for sure first. The only reason you would need surgery now is if you have an obstruction, bad perforation or twisted bowel. The new meds to treat these IBD's are really good and effectived. Never trust a surgeon who's first response is CUT. That's just an arrogant asshole wanting a big pay check from your insurance. Find someone who treats you like a person and wants to answer all your questions. Make sure you research and ask 100 question if need be.
10-01-2017, 01:20 AM   #7
LemSat87

My Support Groups:
As everyone above has stated please do not rush it! Absolutely make sure it is what it is and perhaps seek a second opinion. Surgery should really be considered later in the treatment plan if drug therapies and diet changes do not help. After my diagnosis with Crohns Disease I was placed on Humira and was on that drug for about a year before a perforation in the colon forced an emergency surgery.

Absolutely do some more research, and good luck to ya!

Colon Perforated March 2013, total of 3 feet of intestine removed and temp ileostomy placed.
ileostomy take down March 2014
Hernia repair June 2015 in surgical area from 2 prior surgeries
Perianal abscess found Feb 2017 with subsequent fistula discovery & seton placement March 2017 w/2 additional seton drains placed May 2017
Have surgery pending to remove gallbladder & repair hernia along a prior surgical site.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Newly diagnosed and considering surgery