Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well

11-25-2017, 05:24 AM   #301
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That is something I've wondered about, would other nuts cause similar problems as cashews. I might have to try other nuts in the future. I'm not a fan of soy milk. Almond milk and rice milk are OK though. It would be worth an experiment to try them.

This morning my tongue is messed up in appearance. That is undoubtably caused by the cashews. On the positive side, the swollen gums are much better. The tooth that hurts no longer hurts. Cashews give me energy. I'm certain of that. I've speculated that the energy comes from the higher mineral content found in the nut/fruit. Magnesium is one mineral cashews are high in. Magnesium is also commonly used to basically upset a stomach. It might not be that simple but I've thought that is probably why cashews cause me issues, the high magnesium content negatively effecting my digestive health, yet provides me with extra energy when in small quantities. Just a guess.
11-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #302
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ate pork again for breakfast and lunch. This is store bought pork, free of preservatives. I bought these at Target. No itching noticed once again. I believe that mystery solved. It is always possible that there is some other cause overlooked. The place where I ordered pork chops and had them mailed to me must be adding preservatives to their pork in order for this theory to work.

Will continue to monitor but less closely.
11-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #303
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've been sick to the stomach a good amount today. It is the nuts that caused this. I'm pretty sure of that. There is good news from this. While not good that I'm using the bathroom a considerable amount today, I'm not tired out. When I was eating beef and cheese when sick to the stomach I would feel overly tired and generally miserable all over. It could take days to fully recover.

In light of the problems with the cashew nuts I'm going to remove them from my diet once again. I like the extra energy cashews provide me. My stomach remains to tender it appears to be able to handle cashews though. I'll try adding cashews to the diet once again in a month or two and see how i do.
11-26-2017, 05:22 AM   #304
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
179lbs, 14% body fat. I was decently sick yesterday and last night to the stomach. I'm doing fine this morning. Imagine later today it will likely hit me and I'll feel tired out though, but that is just a guess. In the past when I avoided dairy products I recall being ill but typically having good energy despite it.
11-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #305
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
So far it has been a good day. My energy levels are decent, and the stomach doing well. With energy and dairy products there could be two reasons why I'm doing well today. At least two reasons I'm aware of there. There could be more possibilities.

Dairy could be an allergy for me and with avoiding it I'm doing better. There is the other possibility frequently written about with milk and dairy products. it is frequently written that dairy consumption can lead to anemia and as a result poor energy levels in some people. hard to say once again what is happen with me.
11-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #306
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Woke up a little later than typical. Woke up tired and feeling terrible to the stomach. I wasn't sick though, just lingering effect from the previous days illness. Doing better this afternoon. The tongue is healing up nicely. The sores are nearly gone.
11-28-2017, 06:34 AM   #307
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Feeling better this morning. The stomach is not hurting, and it appears doing well. The tongue looks healed up nicely. That happened quicker than typical.

Yesterday I was thinking at how different my personality has become. I've changed a bit over the last few weeks. It's not a big change but it's something I noticed. Some of the old activities I participated in are not as engaging as they used to. I'm also more upbeat. I suspect the change is due to absorbing food better. I mention that as with the few days that I was sick to the stomach I felt I reverted back to my older previous way of feeling mentally.

Im not new with mentioning personality changes when avoiding milk/dairy and beef. I've seen that mention many times in books on the topic of avoiding milk products.
11-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #308
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Today was a good day. It felt as if I had gotten back on my feet after the brief stomach issues experienced. Most likely eating to many cashew nuts caused that stomach episode.

I've had a stuffy nose of late. I suspect that is due to a red tide being near by. It's hard to say though as I've noticed similar happens when the stomach has been irritated.
11-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #309
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Doing well this morning. The stomach remains slightly tender but nothing terrible or that can't be handled. Probably in the near future I'll pick up some chicken and begin eating it, see how the stomach does. Fingers crossed I handle the chicken well. It would be nice to have an additional meat in the diet.

Appearance, shaggy. That is due to my hair growing quicker than typical! Shagginess to be taken care of with haircut today.
11-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #310
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good day but a typical ate to much fiber day. It was feeling slightly low in energy. My concentration wasn't the best. Overall though little to complain about it. With a little luck in the next month I'll be able to comfortably eat more fiber than currently.
11-30-2017, 06:00 AM   #311
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is a frustrating time with the diet. I always run into this issue at some point. I'm nearly two months it to it, why am I not healthier. Is it the right diet?! Etc etc etc. With the experience I have though I should stay the course. Only two more months to go till I tie the last time I tried this diet. Hopfully after that I'll have a better idea of how things are progressing.

Hair looking good. It's hard to say if new growth is happening but I can only hope. I have not seen the blue in my eyes for a few days. The being ill after eating the cashews might have caused the blue eyes to disappear for awhile.
11-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #312
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Something new I've noticed. it is something I've noticed also in the past when avoiding milk/dairy products. Now, when I exercise for a longer period of time my muscles do not become fatigued. As an example, today I swam for 30 minutes without a break. my muscles didn't hurt or fatigue. Typically in the recent past my muscles would have felt a burning feeling eventually.

I'm sure I can fatigue the muscles if I pushed them harder. Now though, on current diet, fatigueing the muscles has become difficult.

With this said, I remain tired most of the time.
12-01-2017, 05:07 AM   #313
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
THis is interesting. Last night I ate dinner. Typically I pass on eating dinner but last night was different as I had exerted myself more than typical during the day and as a result was hungry in the evening. Well, for dinner I ate pork with eggs making it was the second time I eaten pork in the day. Earlier I had eaten tuna. Last night, all night I was itching, the itching was similar to what I had experienced when eating Canadian bacon with the preservatives.
12-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #314
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
179lbs 14% body fat. Forgot to mention some good news. It's been a long time since I last experienced stomach pulsing, or I'm assuming inflamed feeling in the intestine area. Hopefully that is a sight of healing.
12-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #315
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Stomach was a little bit sour today after a bike ride. I'm going on another Christmas bike ride this evening which shouldn't be a problem. Overall good day, with good energy, just slightly ill to the stomach.
12-02-2017, 05:37 AM   #316
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm beat up this morning. last night for a Christmas event I walked for around 90 minutes. I'll be taking an easy this morning as a result. Slept poorly also.
12-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #317
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It was a slow day being tired out from yesterdays activities, but found out something exciting. I went to clean up my cloth closet and while doing so found some shorts that were on the small side. I tried a few of the smaller shorts on and they fit! These shorts would not have fit a few weeks ago, before I was avoiding milk/dairy and beef. It has me upbeat as it highlights how my inflamed bloated intestines have become less inflamed and bloated.

I still have some fat on me. I do poorly on what I want to see with the giggle test. Overall though, I'm pleased about the shorts being wearable now.
12-03-2017, 06:37 AM   #318
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It is quite remarkable in that I'm able to fit into size 30 shorts this morning. No way could I have worn these a few weeks ago. The shorts are tight and not all that comfortable but I can wear them. Will be interesting to see if over the coming month if the shorts become more and more wearable. Shuold be a good monitoring test.

Last night I noticed something of interest. Well, I've known it for awhile but it was overly evident last night. When people talk overly fast, in person or in movies I can have a difficult time understanding. I mark that down to the fatigue and tiredness issues I experience. Whne I'm tired my brain is working in slow motion. Last night while watching an older movie, where people typically talked quickly, I had no issues understanding all of what was said. I've noticed this change for awhile. it has me watching older movies more and more frequently of late out of curiosity.
12-04-2017, 05:58 AM   #319
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
179lbs and 14% body fat.

I'm feeling good this morning. That isn't what I expected as yesterday i worked out longer than I expected and with that thought I'd wake up tired and sore. Hope the good feeling continues into the day.
12-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #320
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It has been a good day. I expected to be more worn down that I am this afternoon. This morning I had one of my harder weight lifting workouts on my legs. My legs are sore! They hurt but I'm not terrible fatigued. That's a great sign.

On the slightly negative side the stomach was a little bit grumpy after lunch. Most likely is was the fiber rich foods eaten the other day that was the trouble maker.

I've thought about limiting how much I eat in order to loose some body fat. I''ve decided to hold off on that till I'm more energetic. I figure no reason to mess with what I have going now. I seem to be making positive strides with my health. WIsh the stomach was better, but with a little luck over time that will happen.
12-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #321
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It appears I over did exercises yesterday. I'm feeling beat up and tired this morning. Most likely I'll be feeling better by this evening. Stomach is OK. The stomach could be better, it hurts some, but it could be worse.
12-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #322
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Today was a good say not only for the stomach but also mentally. I was feeling quite upbeat. That has become more common for me, feeling more positive and upbeat ever since I began avoiding milk and dairy products along with beef. Some items still upset me, as to be expected. Overall though I'm notcing a further change in my personality since avoiding milk and beef.
12-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #323
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Doing well today. A bit tired this morning but nothing out of the normal range. Friday it is being reported that a cold front will be moving over the area. S. Florida should be colder by about 20 degrees as a result. Will be interesting to see how I handle the cold. Most of the time I struggle with quick temperature changes, more so that most people I suspect. On the current diet I'm on of avoiding milk/beef it will not surprise me if the cold air does not effect me as negatively. Well see though!
12-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #324
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Had a nice conversation today with someone I just met. As mentioned earlier talking with people is not always easy for me. In particular new people that I don't know having a conversation can be chore. I mark the communication difficulties down to my illness and the fatigue that goes with it. So it was nice, the conversation reminded me of how I was years ago, before the big stomach attacks began around 15 years ago. I was sick long before 15 years ago, but around 2003 I seriously began to experience horrible stomach attacks that I never recovered from. It's good. Hope the talking well continues to improve. Hope the topic talked about is brighter also! He wanted to talk about his former boss and friend that had been shot dead a few months ago!
12-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #325
cmack

My Support Groups:
Very real problems. People who are/were friends of mine have been murdered. Hard stuff to handle at any rate.
12-07-2017, 04:53 AM   #326
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm very sorry to hear that Chris! I wouldn't have thought that would be so much in issue in Canada. At least here in America it is often mentioned at how much lower the murder rate is in our neighbor to the north.

Yeah, it is sad about the local guy that was killed. I'll tell a little about his story. It also highlights a problem in America that gets little attention from what I've been told. The story has some racial overtones but that isn't the point of the story.

The guy murdered was named Roger. He was an immigrant from Brazil. Like many immigrants he wanted to create companies in America. Roger was successful at what he did. He began several companies. The one I knew him best was his painting firm. Roger would come into our neighborhood and talk to everyone about painting needs. Roger was unique in that he was not only a great friendly salesman, he also did good work, his prices reasonable, he was on time! a rarity with Florida contractors and Roger's workers liked him. Roger treated his painters well, as I was being told yesterday by his former worker and friend.

What led to Roger being murdered was an incident at a bar. Roger went with some friends to a bar after work. When he came out of the bar later he discovered his car had been blocked him. He was unable to leave. Roger found the guys that had blocked him in. They were black guys. He Asked that their car be moved. Their response was to shoot him in the stomach. Roger died on the way to the hospital. The friend or Roger I was talking with yesterday added he thought Roger might have drunk to much alcohol that night but wasn't for sure. To me it sounded like everyone could have drunk to much that night.

Later I was told by a black friend that Roger's killing likely had to do with tensions between the black community and the hispanic community. The two sides apparently do not get along well - at least that is what I was told. Some of it has to do with jobs. Regardless, a senseless killing of a well liked successful guy. Roger left behind a young son in his native Brazil.

Well, lets see, with me I'm slightly tired this morning with an upset stomach. It woke me up very early this morning. I should be fine as the day goes along. It's typical stuff that I deal with from time to time. Imagine my energy levels will be lower today.
12-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #327
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It was a slow day, but not a bad day. The stomach was grumpy in the morning but more calm later. I'm guessing though that tomorrow will be a ruff day for the stomach then it will calm down once and for all, for awhile at least.

Noticed the tongue looks great. I haven't seen any sign of a tongue sore/lines in quite some time. Very good sign for me I believe.
12-08-2017, 06:33 AM   #328
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This morning I have some mild throbbing in the stomach area. I expected that to happen. Don't know why it happens but the timing is consistent. The throbbing is much milder than typically experienced in the past. It will tired me out some today though. The two go together, stomach throbbing and being tired. Overall though I expect it to be a good day.... well other than I'm taking my car in to be worked on. That's a whole other area of trouble though.
12-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #329
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's been a decent day. Noticed that my hair is growing quicker than before. Also notes that there remains less hair showing up in the shower drain. All good signs of better health I suspect.
12-09-2017, 04:22 AM   #330
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did an experiment yesterday. In the evening I ate more fiber than typical with the idea I would see how that effected how I talked. As expected, not long afterwards I spoke to others more difficultly. Basically the fiber tired me out. The stomach on the other hand has done well. I expected that. I expected the stomach would handle the extra fiber decently.

Of late I've been staying up later than typical. I'm also waking up earlier than typical. I need less sleep apparently on this diet.

Overall, i'm 2 months and 2 weeks into this diet. I have another 6 weeks to go till tying my previous time I had experimented with avoiding dairy producs and beef. I've seen several positive changes while being on this diet. The disappointment has been that my stomach isn't doing better. Hope I'm on the right track and the stomach eventually performs better.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well