Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well

12-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #331
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm going to also avoid garlic/ spices on this diet. I'll continue to avoid dairy and beef too.

The reason is simply I've noticed I appear less healthy when eating garlic/ spicy foods. I also have noticed that I often develop an upset stomach after eating garlic rich food. I've blamed the fiber for the stomach issues but realize it could just as easy be garlic.

I don't believe I'll add anymore foods to avoid while on this long term avoidance diet. It will become to restrictive if I do, which will frustrate me.
12-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #332
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good energy day today. Felt I appear healthier also after avoiding garlic/spices along with beef and dairy products. Worth mentioning and forgot earlier, I've gotten myself well while eating cheese. I never felt I was recovered, had good energy, but the stomach was entirely tell. I do not believe I've ever been well while garlic was in the diet.
12-10-2017, 04:56 AM   #333
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Since avoiding spices I've been needing to pee a considerable amount. Not sure why that is, other than I've had times were my weight fluctuated greatly without known cause. I'll have to keep an eye on my weight over the next week.

With avoiding spices I often mention garlic. I should mention black pepper also. If a spice is a problem maker black pepper is just as likely of a candidate as garlic and onions.
12-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #334
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It was a really good day. I had good energy, worked out hard on the legs lifting weights. Appear good and healthy. I like it! It was a good move to continue avoiding beef and dairy products along with now avoiding spices.
12-11-2017, 04:47 AM   #335
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This morning is starting out very well. I have lots of energy as I wake up. That shouldn't be the case. I should be tired. I should be tired because yesterday I worked out harder than normal. Additionally it is cold here with record low temperatures for this time of year I read.

Maybe avoiding milk/dairy and avoiding spices is the right combination. Possibly dairy isn't so much an allergy problem for me. It might be an energy sapping issue with dairy. I can think of a few theories for why that cuold be the case. For spices that might be an allergy/ stomach trouble maker.

Well, one morning of feeling good doesn't prove a solution. This week will be telling. Hoping the good energy remains all week long. If that happens then once and for all I might have my answer.

I should add, once I removed spices from the diet my stomach did improve. It's short during though so time will tell.
12-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #336
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've had very good energy levels today. I've also handled the cold weather quite well. For the entire day I've even been wearing shorts which for me is remarkable for 50F weather. I'm still slightly cold but not as bad as typical. The stomach typically effects how hot and cold I feel.

Something else is I have not felt hungry today. That's a typical feeling for when I have good energy.
12-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #337
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Interesting I'm 182lbs and 14% body fat this moring. I've gained 3 lbs since avoiding spices the other day. My energy levels have been very good the last few days. I've been exercising more than before as a result. All positive signs.
12-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #338
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It was another good energy day for most of the day. I'm a little tired now after all the exercising and running around done. Avoiding spices along with dairy and beef has done me good for the last few days. I've known for a long while that garlic and onions can cause bleeding issues. I've read also many times mentions on how dairy products can potentially bring about bleeding issues leading to anemia. Naturally it has me wondering if the two garlic and dairy was causing me a slight loss of blood leading to fatigue issues. That's my leading theory! All subject to change. Happy to be feeling good for what ever reason and hope I feel better even further in the near future.
12-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #339
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I drink almond milk. I am anemic. I don't know if the two are related.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
12-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #340
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hope you feel better Ron! I haven't read anything good or bad about almond milk.
12-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #341
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hope you feel better Ron! I haven't read anything good or bad about almond milk.
Thanks

12-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #342
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm 185lbs this morning with the scale saying 15% body fat! I've put on 6lbs in a couple days. This large weight gain is since I began avoiding spices. Will be interesting to see how much weight I gain in the coming week.

My energy levels feel good this morning. I'm planning on doing something about that. I'll be lifting some weights in a few.
12-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #343
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good energy again today. I had another hard weight lifting workout also. One of the more interesting, to me, changes of late how to do with how I've handled the cold. Temps have been cooler with highs in the 50s and 60s. I've been able to wear shorts during this time without feeling chilled. In the recent past, if the temperatures were in the 70s I'd be wearing pants and possibly warmers under the pants.
12-14-2017, 05:40 AM   #344
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's another good energetic morning. I'm predicting that in around 4 months I'll be decently healthy to the gut. i'll be far from recovered but I should be operating somewhat decently by then though. Avoiding garlic/onions and dairy products seems to be the right combination for the gut and having more energy. At least I hope so about my prediction. Time of course will have the final say.
12-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #345
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The dreaded bloated belly is back. I noticed it yesterday but it is back even more today. I'm back to how I was from before. It's not horrible but wish it was gone. Should be interesting to see if this issue resolves in a few months. Hoping it will. Overall though doing well since I began avoiding garlic and onions.
12-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #346
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
No tongue sores to report this morning. I haven't seen those lines in awhile. Energy levels are decent this morning.
12-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #347
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
182lbs and 14% body fat. My weight is bouncing around a good amount of late.

Worked our hard yesterday. My muscles are not sore. That seems to be the norm when avoiding dairy problems. For what ever reason it takes a large effect to produce lactic acid type muscle pain when avoiding dairy and possibly beef.

I'm going to stop taking imodium for awhile and see what happens.
12-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #348
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Since avoiding garlic/spices I've noticed that I'm not as hungry as before. I can easily go 16hours or so without eating and not feeling hungry. Typically I've been eating breakfast and lunch skipping dinner. I would eat snacks for dinner though. Now, since avoiding spices, I have little desire to snack.
12-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #349
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is something new I've noticed.

I've noticed that ever since I began avoiding garlic/spices a sinus runny nose problem has become less and less of a problem. The last two days the sinus issue has been gone. Will keep track of to see if this remains the case going forward.
12-18-2017, 06:07 AM   #350
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This morning my sinus problem remains largely gone. I can breath easily. I'm not needing to blow my nose.

I've also thought the runny nose came from two possibilities. The first I've written about earlier, having to do with gut health. When the stomach is grumpy, the worse the sinus issue. A happy stomach often meant no sinus problems. The second idea had to do with red tide, which is a problem around here in Florida. I figured when red tide was in the area, then something was in the air bothering me.

Now, at the moment, I'm guessing it is spices that cause the runny nose/sinus problem. Hope I have an answer.

The stomach has been grumpy the last 24 hours. I ate more fiber rich foods than normal, and also went for a 2 hour bike ride. That likely explains the grumpy stomach.
12-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #351
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Today was a tiring day. Hard to say for certain what brought that about, but I have been slightly ill to the stomach plus I have exercised more than typical lately. I also stopped taking the Imodium the other day. That might have been bad timing on my part. I've gone ahead to began taking Imodium again.
12-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #352
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This morning my sinus problem remains largely gone. I can breath easily. I'm not needing to blow my nose.

I've also thought the runny nose came from two possibilities. The first I've written about earlier, having to do with gut health. When the stomach is grumpy, the worse the sinus issue. A happy stomach often meant no sinus problems. The second idea had to do with red tide, which is a problem around here in Florida. I figured when red tide was in the area, then something was in the air bothering me.

Now, at the moment, I'm guessing it is spices that cause the runny nose/sinus problem. Hope I have an answer.

The stomach has been grumpy the last 24 hours. I ate more fiber rich foods than normal, and also went for a 2 hour bike ride. That likely explains the grumpy stomach.
Glad your sinus problem is gone

12-19-2017, 04:54 AM   #353
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Ron. I guess to add the sinus issue isn't entirely gone. Sometimes it comes back randomly. It is though much much better. It will come back for a few minutes and then go away. At this rate I suspect it will be gone within a few weeks. At least I hope so. Avoiding spices is worth it if the sinus issue goes away regardless of how the stomach does.

I'm still a little beat up and worn down this morning. Typically I would lift some weights on a Tuesday morning but I'm planning on passing today. I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow.
12-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #354
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It was an alright day. The stomach was a little sore, and I'm a little cautions with where I've been driving of late. Don't want to be far from a rest room. Reminds me of the bad old days. It hasn't been that bad of late though. To much exercise and to much fiber rich food is the cause. I'm decently certain. And I'm not all that sick to the stomach. THing overall have been going well.

I did make another dietary change. I added candy corn to the diet. I also added beef to the diet. I'll remain avoiding dairy products for a long time. That I notice a positive difference even if it isn't an allergen. I continue to avoid spices/garlic. The sinus issue is much better overall. I rarely sneeze. I rarely needed to blow my nose today. All good.
12-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #355
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thinking further on my sinus problem, it isn't that big of a problem for me historically. if anything it is relatively new. Then again I'm not a big spice eater. Even as a kid I was typically looking to eat plain foods. I was the plain hamburger eater at parties. That has remained the case as an adult.

I have a nephew who has had severe sinus allergy issues. He's right about the same age as I was when i began to develop my stomach problems. I've always greatly worried for my nephews stomach health. I didn't want them to develop the condition I have had to deal with. So, if spices end up being the cause of my GI health issues, it will be good for me to pass this information onto my nephews, just in case any of them begin to develop severe stomach issues.
12-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #356
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
A little bit tired today. I had a similar feeling the last few days. I'm guessing it is the walnut I've been eating over this holiday season. I'll stop eating the nuts. Imagine I'll be more energetic once again after doing that. The gut was good today.
12-21-2017, 05:09 AM   #357
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
179lbs this morning.

My digital body fat scale appears to have broken. I've gone back to using my older manual weight scale. No body fat reading with it, but that is OK. Body fat readings are interesting but I've come to find out that they are not very accurate I believe.

My sinus issues remains greatly improved since avoiding spices. I wish in the past I had noticed this improvement when avoiding spices. Getting well to the stomach will take a long long time. The spices and improvement with the sinus issues is a more timely cause and effect change to have happen. I hope spices is my answer for the stomach issue and now suspect it is due to the improvements seen with my mild sinus issue. So long as the sinus problem stays away, I'll have good incentive to remain avoiding spices.
12-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #358
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is an oddity I've known about for awhile. I'm experiencing it now. When avoiding dairy products one begins to look different. Dairy/milk will cause ones checks to appear sucked in, in general it is often mentioned. What I'm now experiencing, oddly, is that while I weight the same, my cloths fit tighter.

Decent day overall. Energy levels good, tongue looks good, sinus issue improved.
12-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #359
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
178lbs this morning.

Feeling decently well this morning. Imagine it to be a good day. Can't think of anything new to report other than that at the moment.
12-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #360
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
NO sinus issues to report. It has been great! Over the last week the sinus problem has only made an appearance in the morning for short periods of time. The last couple of days it's been more or less gone. The trend has been greatly improvement basically. I'll keep on avoiding spices.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well