Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well

12-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #361
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The sinus issue is gone this morning. I'm so happy I noticed this potential connection between spices and the mild sinus problem. My guess is avoiding sprices will lead me to a healthier sinus and stomach over time.
12-24-2017, 05:55 AM   #362
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sinus issue not an issue this morning. I want to say the problem is now gone, but wouldn't be surprised if it still pops up from time to time. Very excited though about this improvement.

Stomach doing well. Some times I'm well and other times I'm not. Improvement seen of late overall. Cramping not so bad basically.

Yesterday ate more brown rice that I expected. it tasted good, but the rice beat up the stomach a bit, tiring me out last night and somewhat being tired this morning.
12-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #363
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It has been a busy productive day. I've been doing more chores of late than typical. No sinus issue to report today. I only sneezed once I believe and that was when I was cleaning up the garage, creating a lot of dust. Oh almost forgot, i feel I'm communicating better the last few days too. Better energy will do that for me.
12-25-2017, 05:08 AM   #364
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Last night eating a Christmas Eve dinner I accidentally ate a piece of bread that had been cook with garlic spicing. I was hoping this morning that as a result I'd have some sinus issues. That is not the case. The sinus issue is good. The amount of garlic eaten was small but potent. I could taste the garlic the rest of the night.

THat is one thing, I wonder what is was in the spicing rice dish I was eating before that appears to have caused the sinus problem. Thinking back it was just this fall that I was only eating one spice in my diet and that was garlic. I believe I did have a sinus problem then when only garlic was being used to spice of the meat I cooked. Don't recall for certain though.

Anyway, feel decent this morning. More information will be discovered in the future.
12-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #365
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I might have a second item to monitor. Today marks 2 weeks of avoiding spices. During this time my sinus issue has largely gone away. For the 2 weeks I've also lost some weight. I'm not trying to loose weight though. I'm eating the same amount and not exercising more. I've lost around 4 to 5 lbs.

This after I'm weighing 179lbs at the moment. I'm not planning on eating anymore today. Most of the time I pass on dinner. As a result I'll likely be at 176lbs in the morning. That is my guess at least.

I've had periods where I go through surprise weight loss or weight gain. For what ever reason it appears avoiding spices has me loosing weight. The weight lost I'm guessing is water weight.
12-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #366
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm at 175lbs this morning. I suspect the weight loss will level off here for awhile. That is what I seem to recall happened over the fall when I was avoiding garlic/spices. I have mixed feeling about loosing weight. For many of the early years with my condiiton I greatly struggled to keep weight on. I was to sick to be able to gain weight. Now I'm slightly over weight and wouldn't mind dropping to 165lbs or about there. In my mind though that still causes some concern.
12-27-2017, 05:31 AM   #367
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm 176lbs this morning. Doing fairly well overall. Energy levels decent. Stomach decent. Thinking about it, over autumn I avoided spices for a little over a month. It wasn't that long of a period yet during this time I saw weight loss and good energy. I'm hoping for the same this go around and imagine wit the way things are going I will.

No hair loss seen in the shower sink.

Last edited by Beach; 12-27-2017 at 05:55 AM.
12-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #368
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I didn't sleep well last night at all! I'm pretty sure I know what went wrong. I ate dinner last night and sometimes when I eat dinner it keeps me up later into the night. That is what happened. I ate dinner due to all the exercising done for the day. In the morning I lifted weights. THen for the day I counted how many steps I took. For Christmas I received an Apple watch. I've been using the exercise feature quite a bit the last 2 days. I'm not exercising all that much more than typical since using the new watch but might push it a bit at times when I'm close to a reported exercise goal. Think I'll take an easy today and pay less attention to how many steps are taken. My legs are sore. They should heal.

Weight is around 175lbs this morning. I forgot to weight myself before breakfast but subtracting how much I typically weight after a meal I should be at 175lbs.
12-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #369
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've noticed it for awhile now, but appears I'm experiencing a slight personality change. With more energy I'm more upbeat. The two naturally go well together.
12-29-2017, 06:43 AM   #370
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Since receiving the Christmas Apple watch, which has a heart monitor, I've noticed my resting heart rate remains low. It's in the 50 to 60 beats per minute. This is much higher than in the past though, when I was at my very worst with an upset stomach. Back when I was always running to the bathroom, lost 50lbs or about, my resting heart rate was in the 30s and 40s on average. Imagine a more normal resting heart rate is an improvement. hard to say, and don't know, it's just something I've noticed of late.

Feel sore this morning. That's from the weight lifting a couple days ago. Energy levels are good.
12-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #371
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The news paper is reporting that a Red Tide bloom is bad off the coast of where I live. I've guessed in the past that a red tide could be the cause behind a sinus problem. Right now though I have no sinus issues that have been noticed. It is appearing more and more likely that eating garlic/ spices is the cause of my sinus problem.

I was quite tired and run down today. The caused felt to be from lifting weights hard the other day. For what ever reason the 2nd day after lifting can make me feel the worst.
12-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #372
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
With the 2017 coming to an end, in summary I'd say this has been an awful year. The stomach problem remains. Poor energy levels remain with me.

2017 is ending on a high note though. I've very encouraged by the lack of sinus issues after avoiding garlic/ spices. I'm also curious about the sudden weight loss that has happened after avoiding spices. The weight loss is not big but noticeable and has me thinking that it is water loss due to swelling doing down. Just a guess.

Overall I have a good feeling for 2018. Maybe if I'm lucky by the end of January the stomach will be acting decently and my energy levels in a more normal range.
12-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #373
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's been a good day. Did a lot of chores around town. Was afraid for awhile that I might become sick but was good. I've been eating slightly more fiber than typical and appear to be handling it alright.

In a couple days cold weather moves into the area. I'm likely to be chilled and with that have some stomach problems. Nothing serious but that is commonly how it works, the first cold upsets the stomach.
12-31-2017, 06:33 AM   #374
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Starting the morning out poorly, but hopefully the day will improve as it goes along. Cold spell coming to the area tomorrow along with rain. I'm not looking forward to that.
12-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #375
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've had a little bit of a sinus issue today. It's nothing compared to what I can experience. The effects are slight, but it's something I should monitor. I slept very poorly last night. That very well could have played a roll in the sinus issue noticed today, I'll guess.
01-01-2018, 05:53 AM   #376
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was 177lbs this morning. A body fat scale would come in handy, possibly they are not very accurate, in telling what is going on. I'm weight lifting heavier than in the past. While potentially loosing weight on the newer diet I might be gaining muscle. Hard to say.

One of my New Years resolution is to write less about the stomach condition. Bit on the downer side writing about this, even if good to keep notes on my health. So long as the current diet continues to work writing less, keeping the resolution should be doable.
01-03-2018, 04:12 AM   #377
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is encouraging. For the past couple of days I've been eating lots and lots of nuts. Typically, and recently, nuts could cause stomach pains along with an upset stomach. If I eat nuts I want to limit the amount eaten. For the last few days I've eating nuts when ever I felt and so far have not experienced any pain or upset stomach. I'm probably not out of the woods with this. I could become sick from the nuts eaten later. Up to this point though very encouraging. I'm guessing this means the stomach is healing and better able to handle foods more difficult to digest.

The weather has turned cold. Typically I do not handle cold weather well. For the last few days the chilly air has not bothered me. If anything the cold feel nice. Hope that remain so as much colder weather is predicted.
01-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #378
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It is frigid here but praying that changes.
01-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #379
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Stay warm and safe Ron! I can't believe how cold it is up north! The town I recently moved from in Illinois has had negative temperatures for about a week up to this point. It gets cold there but typically not that cold for that long.

For me cold has been a real problem in the past, to the point that I would become so chilled I could find it difficult to do tasks. I've linked the cold feeling to my stomach condition. This morning i walked in 50F misty, breezy conditions. It didn't feel bad to me at all. I'd go as far to say it felt nice and warm overall.
01-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #380
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm still amazed that I have not exploded from all the nuts eaten. Today was a decent day. I'm not well to the stomach but I'm not in agonizing pain as I would expect happen after eating these nuts. Very good sign with the way my avoiding garlic and onion/spices diet is going. I suspect the gut is healing.
01-04-2018, 06:31 AM   #381
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was planning on writing less with this year. I better make note of the changes now though. So far I've continued to eat high fiber nuts without repercussions. My energy levels have been good enough. I've noticed that at times talking well can be difficult, something high fiber can cause, but it hasn't been a big problem. Hope this continues.
01-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #382
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Burrr....it's cold this morning. The cold hasn't been effecting me as typically it does. I suspect the cold feeling this morning has to do with not weight lifting the last couple of days. Weight lifting also helps to keep me warm, for a couple days afterward.

I survived all the nuts eaten! Last night I finally began to experience cramping from the high fiber nuts. It wasn't torture but it was uncomfortable. I'll stop eating nuts for a day or two then add them back to the diet.

My weight is about the same, unchanged. I appear to have lost some body fat.

I've been walking a great amount of late. Yesterday I walked close to 13 miles. It's amazing that I have this amount of energy to handle that much movement. I'm tired this morning but imagine I'll become more energized as the day progresses. Hoping I have good energy for this morning weight lifting using th eleg muscles.
01-07-2018, 04:35 AM   #383
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I suspect that my hair has grown in some in the front since being on this diet of avoiding spices and dairy products. At least appearance wise I suspect that has happened.

Overall doing well. The cold weather is now chilling me a little bit. I'm handling it well enough. Part of the chill I feel is likely due to the high fiber nuts eaten. Along with a potential upset stomach fiber can also cause me to feel chilled.
01-08-2018, 05:03 AM   #384
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It appears more and more likely I have found an answer with avoiding spices. I've been well to the stomach frequently. Being well to the stomach has been somewhat common over the last 5 years or so though. The big problem has been a lack of energy and additionally while well, not always being comfortable. I now suspect that dairy products have been problematic with bringing about poor energy levels and being ruff on the stomach.

The next couple of weeks should be telling.

I guess going forward I still need to test out chicken. I'm sure that melons such as pumpkin, watermelon, etc are a problem.
01-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #385
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Forgot to mention and wanted to make note of, the bloated belly look has largely gone away. The stomach isn't completely flat yet, but it appears to be heading in that direction.
01-09-2018, 05:10 AM   #386
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Weight is 175 to 174lbs this morning. I still have more body fat than desired, so hopefully more weight loss will be coming eventually.

Energy levels have been good, in consideration of the fiber rich nuts eaten. Typically the fiber would tire me out, to the point where I would need to rest for a few hours in the afternoon, but with avoiding the cheese that hasn't been the case.

Stomach is doing well. It gives me greater confidence to do things when the stomach is well. Less planning needed on know where the bathrooms are located.
01-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #387
cmack

My Support Groups:
I know what you mean about the confidence. I hope this year is your best one in a long time and that things keep improving for you. Cheers Beach!
01-10-2018, 04:51 AM   #388
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Chris! Hoping for a successful 2018 and imagine it will be.

I saw too in another thread that you appear to be very close to the Canadian government recognizing and placing you on disability, finally. Congrats on that! Hope your financial situation improves. Glad to see also that your parents are being more supportive.

With confidnece there is another area that needs improvement. That's the ability to communicate better. I'm blessed or cursed, how ever it is looked at, in that I've had periods of being well and experienced how much better I am at communicating with others. For 2018 I'm hoping to gain further ability in effectively talking. Happily it appears that I'm on the ups swing with that. It is good as many guests will be visiting me in 2 months for spring break. It's to embarrassing to be around others when I'm not well t the stomach, and not communicating well.

Health wise the tongue is looking fantastic. No sores at all noticed.

The eyes can have a blue hue to them at times. The machinery is not up and running turning on yet but expect that to change in the near future.
01-11-2018, 04:31 AM   #389
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm 177lbs this morning. I've noticed the day after weight lifting I tend to weigh a pound of two more. Don't know why that is asI don't appear to eat or drink more on weight lifting days. i must be retaining fluids or foods. Tomorrow I'll likely be back to 175lbs.

It's been wonderful at how much more exercise I've been capable of performing. I'm walking on average over 20,000 steps a day or around 10 miles. I've also been weight lifting two a week. I've always been able to push through the fatigue and pain experienced with the stomach and with exercise. Now though exercise is coming easier due to having more energy. I'm still in pain and experience fatigue but those areas are not as extreme and troublesome.

Mentally, as written about yesterday with communication, remains a problem. Having a quality conversation can be difficult due to the fatigue.

There remains a knot feel in the stomach area. It has been this way for around 30 years. When the knot area hurts, talking can be a chore. When the knot releases then talking can be easy. As I've always thought, modern medicine likes to compartmentalize different areas of specialty. For me I've noticed if the stomach is hurting everything else in the body suffers.

I've found of late that I need less sleep. This is likely a good positive sign. It will take a bit to get used to, a change in routine, if this continues.
01-12-2018, 05:09 AM   #390
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've now been avoiding spices/garlic/ onions for a month. I don't remember why I'm avoiding these items, why I came to this conclusion. I could look at my notes and still wouldn't be entirely sure what lead me to believe. This is typical though I've come to find. Now I just need to keep track of how I'm feeling week by week and go from there. For now the tongue appears great, the skin looks good, no rash, and overall energy levels are nice. Energy levels could be better, and I hope they become better, but I'm not disappointed at there they are now. The stomach is so so. It's not well but not all that terribly sick most of the time.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well