Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well

08-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #31
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It has been a really good day today! Typically after a tough night I'd be hurting all the next day. Today, no big complaints to mention. My energy levels have been tolerable. Aches and pains are minimal. I have a little bit of brain fog I guess to complain about but it hasn't been all that bad.

I'm still far from being recovered but like the direction I'm going. I'm becoming more reliable and confident.

One of the tougher items for me to deal with is the constant ups and downs with the stomach condition. As an example, I can begin a hobby. Do well for a few days with the hobby. Then I run into a ruff patch with the stomach. As a result I stop learning the new hobby for a few days. It is the ups and down that makes being consistent overly tough and nearly impossible in many areas for me.

So hopefully, and it appears that I am, creating a solid dietary base allowing me to be healthy. From that I can grow & be more consistent.
08-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #32
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hope it continues.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
08-31-2017, 06:17 AM   #33
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Looking at my notes this morning I'm around 2 weeks in on this specific diet. Before I had been hitting all around to a diet similar to this. With this grass fed diet I feel I've hit the mark. Fingers crossed that is the case! A few more days and if all goes well I'll wrap this up and move forward. My confidence levels are high with how everything is going of late.

Weighing myself this morning I saw i was at 171 to 170lbs. I'm down a few more pounds since last week. I'm loosing water weight is my guess and consider that positive. Once the weight loss has leveled off, I might join a gym to put some weight back on that way. I've learned how to increase weight in the past by going the gym. It's fairly straight forward: lift weights till muscles fail, rest for days afterwards, eat lots of quality foods, and obtain some sensible sun exposure.
08-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #34
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Today has been another good day. I'm a little bit sore and tired, more so than yesterday. I expected that as that is the common response after lifting some weights. For some reason the 2nd day afterwards is felt more. Tomorrow I'll be full of energy.

Overall confidence is high. I'm not recovered well, that will take awhile longer, I keep telling myself but have much to be positive about with the way the stomach is going. The diet and the way I'm reacting has me excited! I'm gaining new freedoms essentially. I naturally have some hesitations but am looking forward to having fun trying new foods & activities in the near future.
08-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #35
cmack

My Support Groups:
Best of luck to you Beach!
09-01-2017, 06:03 AM   #36
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks cmack,

An analogy that has been running in my head for awhile ironically has to do with cars. I've gotten the low rider car out of first gear and now into second gear. it would be much nicer and practical to be in a higher gear. For the time being 2nd gear should get me around town though.
09-03-2017, 05:14 AM   #37
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Quick update, today marks the 7ths consecutive day that I've been well to the gut! Ya!!!! I can tell the stomach remains tender. It would be easy to become ill if not careful, with exercise, or eating to much fiber. So caution remains.

Energy levels remain so so

Appearance remains so so. I'm digesting better but suspect I'm not absorbing nutrients all that well, yet. This is an area that should be improving soon I suspect.

Diet still remains the same. I anxious to add new foods, liven things up, but keep patience.
09-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #38
Fenix

Well, i have to say it might actually be better!!
Yes, the environment affects our diseases it is a fact. Of course the beach will make you feel less stressed what also might help.

I have tested my Crohns on 3 different continents and i must say, even what the cow is fed affects my lactose intolerance.
Enjoy and if anything starts to flare, drink loads of water, apple cider vinegar and white diet.

....meds are the system which makes us sick in the first place...
09-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #39
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hang in there and stay safe.
09-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #40
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Fenix and Cmack,

It was a great car trip! No fatigue experienced, stomach did great. I want to joke that I want to do the 19 hour car trip again soon! That was fun.

I'm hoping my idea about grass fed being my answer is right. It is just a theory though, one that I need to play with further to verify. I was thinking on the long drive that now that I'm with family it would be good if I opened my diet up some. The original idea I was working on was basically avoiding turkey, eggs and chicken along with some other items. I think I'll go back to the first idea and see how I do. The two main items I will watch are:

If the chest rash returns I'll return to the grass fed diet.

If the fatigue come back I'll once again return to the grass fed diet.

About my only complaint off hand I can think of is I appear worn down and terrible. I'm guessing that remains a sign of poor absorption. Hopefully that area will improve soon. It might take months for that to happen I suppose.
09-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #41
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Worth noting - Cold weather has always bothered me. I've suspected that this was due to my stomach condition. My theory is, I retain extra water and that water makes me more sensitive to becoming chilled.

I'm now in Illinois where the weather has turned chilly. The morning low was in the 40s with a slight breeze.

The cold is not effecting me. I'm walking around in a tee shirt and shorts and feel comfortable.

Typically in weather like this I'd be bundled up, wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt.
09-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #42
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Worth making note of also,

My handwriting has improved. Before I had crazy doctor type writing. Now my writing appears nice.

I'm eating a lot of fiber for me. The gut is handling it well. The bad part is that it slows me down when thinking. Odd!, but something I've known for many years. This issue should resolve soon, I hope!

Tongue looks messed up, somewhat, when to much fiber is eaten too.

Boredom levels off the charts, which is good. I'm typically to tired and worn down to be bored.
09-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #43
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Might be making progress after all in the healthy appearance category. My skin is appearing healthier this morning. Despite my complaint yesterday, I've noticed that there might be improvement the last couple days in this area. This morning it is more pronounced. To early to say for sure, time will tell, but if this is the case, a very good sight for improved nutrient absorption. At least that is my theory on what is going on.
09-09-2017, 05:17 AM   #44
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is nice. I played tennis last night for an hour and a half. My knees and ankles do not hurt. They are not sore in the least.

Always after tennis play my knees and ankles are overly sore after hitting tennis balls. I'll typically limp around and need time to recover.

I can only guess this lack of soreness has something to do with the anti-inflammatory nature I'm experiencing on this diet.

I'm playing tennis again this morning for 1.5 hours.

So far my diet remains the same. There hasn't been need to experiment with eating new foods.

The only other news concerns my Florida house. Hope hurricane Irma doesn't destroy my home. It isn't looking good at the moment with the path the hurricane is on.
09-09-2017, 05:28 AM   #45
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thst is great about the tennis. I hope your house stays ok.

09-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #46
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Ron! I appreciate it.

While I'm thinking of it, to add to the notes, I breathed fantastic last night. Typically when running/ sprinting while playing tennis I can have difficulty catching my breath.

Last night I had no problem breathing. Despite lots of sprints to chase down tennis balls, I never found myself catching my breath.
09-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #47
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm a little bit in shock over not feeling sore after tennis play. I hit for two days, 3 hours in total, and my knees and ankles feel fine. No aches. No pain. I even went for a long walk in the afternoon with my parents. About my only complaint is that I'm tired! It didn't help much that a couple cats came to visit me late at night. Cute kitties that enjoy their late night snacks.
09-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #48
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey Beach,

So good to hear you are doing well and feeling it too for the most part.

I hope it continues for a very long time come. Good luck!
09-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #49
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks DustryKat,

I can certainly get used to feeling this way. There is more healing to do, which can cause frustration at times. I'm glad I'm keeping good notes though. It's the little positive changes that keeps me on track, as the stomach appears to take a long long time to heal.
09-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #50
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Yeah, when it comes to inflammation in the gut it can surely take time some time to heal, but then again it never gets much of a chance to rest. That said, knowing it doesn't lessen the frustration though!

I like to keep notes too, amazing how little time it takes to distort history, IYKWIM.
09-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #51
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Went on a 7 mile hike this morning! I'm not sore, and so far not all the tired. Simply amazing for me.
09-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #52
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Once again happy in that I don't have sore knees or sore ankles. As expected I'm a little bit tired but to be expected after all I've been doing.

Appearance is healthy this morning. I'm pleased with that. The two areas of improvements, visually and perceived ability improvements can have different lasting meaning. With perceived improvements I tend to quickly forget those happen. It isn't easy to remember how sore I felt or fatigued I could be. What I experience now is the current reality, I guess it could be said. Visual changes are easier to remember and reference back to. The slight rash is gone, which is easy to remember. My eyes are turning bluer, which is a good reminder to me of the changes happening.

One odd area that I know will improve is that I should see better spelling abilities as the stomach further improves. It has happened in the past and expect it to happen again in the near future. Several members in my family on dads side are poor spellers. None of them have stomach issues, thankfully. With improved spelling abilities in the past due to stomach improvement, it has made me wonder though if other family members have a similar issue as me, minus the stomach problems. Possibly if a similar diet as I'm following was eaten their spelling problems will go away. That's something that will never be found out most likely! But incase a similar chronic health problem happens to someone else in the family, it is something that can be mentioned that might be helpful.

Hmmm.... maybe I can write a book, how to become a better speller through diet.
09-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #53
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Went on a 90 minute bike ride over my old childhood neighborhood. It was great fun, enjoyed seeing all the older homes where friends used to live. This should be an interesting test for the stomach. Long bike rides can cause issues for the stomach.

So far so good. I'm on the overly tired side now, but so far the stomach is holding up well. Hope that continues into tomorrow.
09-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #54
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Feel good this morning after yesterdays long bike ride. No stomach problems experienced and happy about that.
09-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #55
Tony H

great that you are doing so well Beach , hope your home is ok after Irma

emazole 40mg daily
09-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #56
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Tony! I really appreciate the well wishes.

I'm quite pleased today that the long bike ride hasn't upset the stomach in the least for today. So far I have a good streak going with being well. The quick pack up and leave Florida before the hurricane came caused the stomach some problems. I wasn't sick so much but wasn't well either. After that hard Monday of quickly packing the moving items around, loading the car up, using stomach muscles, it took 5 days for the stomach to heal up. I'm only mentioning this for note purposes more than anything, but I've been considering the 5 days a nice sign. The quicker I heal after a stomach beating the better.

Heard today for the first time that my house did well! A few trees are down in the yard. They will need to be cut up and hauled away. Outside of that all sounded good I was told. Everything inside and out with the house looked great. I feel fortunate with the good news.

Power remains out for myself and most in the area. It's hard to obtain gasoline. Few grocery stores are open. And the most frightening of all, no toilets are working! The sewer system has been turned off. As a result I plan to remain away from my Florida home for a week or two. Officials believe within a week most essential items will be up and running again.
09-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #57
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Something else I was going to make note on but forgot concerned body fat. When I began this diet I was at around 14% body fat. I suspected that as I became healthier that my body fat levels would drop. That has happened. I'm now at 12% body fat. It would not come as a surprise if I dropped to around 10% body fat eventually. I seem to remember this happening in the past when I became healthier, but then didn't so much have ideas why.
09-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #58
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did an experiment yesterday, I stopped adding garlic to my food. This morning I feel wonderful. I had been feeling lower energy. I've attributed that to over exercising. I might have been wrong about that.

This experiment goes toward one of the original ideas being that I'm feeling better due to eating brown rice.

I don't know what this experiment means. It might mean something. It might not mean anything. I should know an answer by this weekend.
09-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #59
Tony H

No Garlic and Brown Rice
Thats great that its working for you
I cant have brown rice according to the hospital dietitian and was told garlic in small quantities is good for me but then again thatís the joy of having an ostomy
Great that youíre doing so well

09-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #60
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Tony,

Yes, so far so good, at least for today. I'm quite energetic this afternoon. I feel I need to workout hard the next few days, test this idea out.

I worked out hard days previously and felt worn out and tired. I was guessing it was the workout that did me in. I'm thinking today that is not the case. It could have been the garlic that was making me feel fatigued.

Also I've had some tongue sores, that come and go. I know from experience that there should be no sores when I'm well - well being to the stomach and with having good energy. Today the tongue sores are about gone. They need to remain gone, I feel.

Tonight should be a good workout test, if weather provides. I'm playing tennis for 90 minutes. The remnants of hurricane Irma are now here though! Hoping she is gone by tonight.

I guess worth mentioning, if an answer is found with avoiding garlic, it means I can eat some garlic and not be ill to the stomach. If this turns out to be the case it helps explain some confusion. Time will tell.

I'm hoping local stores restock on brown rice. I was running low so i went to the store this morning. it took shopping at 3 different grocery stores before finding brown rice!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well