Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well

09-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #61
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hear brown rice is supposed to better for people.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
09-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #62
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm quite pleased this morning. I played wonderfully at tennis last night. This morning I'm full of energy.

So far so good with the latest twist in the diet and stomach health. I might be on the right track now. Time will tell.
09-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #63
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've had a chance to exercise for two hours this morning. I feel great. My energy levels are very good. Tongue, I guess the correct term is geographic tongue, is looking fabulous. Stomach is doing very well.

So far going back to one of the original ideas, eating brown rice and avoiding garlic/oinions is looking promising.

This is how I want to feel, stomach good and energy levels high, no matter how much I exercise.
09-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #64
Tony H

im getting tired even reading about how much exercise you are doing
really great to hear success stories

emazole 40mg daily
09-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #65
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have been pushing myself!

That is one thing, over the years despite how terrible and run down I feel, I can push myself in exercise and sports. It may hurt but it's often great social contact being with friends.
09-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #66
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Another wonderful morning, since avoiding garlic and eating brown rice. My energy levels are good. The gut is feeling fine. The tongue is looking healed and very healthy. I like it.

Thinking about past comments made about different meats eaten.

I mentioned that commercial beef frightens me. This is true. I realize though that when I became seriously ill after eating commercial meat I also ate with it spicy food. So in this case garlic and onions remain in the running.

I know too that when, often when, spicing hamburger with garlic salt, I will bleed in odd places. The places being my finger nails and my gums. I commented on this earlier. It is a consistent response. Eating hamburger with just sat on it does not cause the bleeding issue.

I mentioned pork can be an inflammatory problem. No clue why this is. Pork is not an inflammatory problem when I eat it less frequently. It only becomes a problem when eating pork with every meal. That is an easy problem to overcome.

Chicken, eggs, and turkey are all the same in illness. I can have very good energy while eating chicken and soy sauce. The same goes with eating eggs (with out soy sauce) Turkey is odd in that I can be well with it if I eat cheese and eat it with beef. I used to joke about needing the right beef to turkey ratio to be healthy.

I don't know what is going on with bird and stomach illness. Energy levels can be high while eating this foods. There must be less of a reaction going on since this is the case. This makes me suspect then that over time bird will be less and less of a problem for the stomach as the stomach heals.

This will be important for me as if garlic and onions are the main culprits and need to be avoided then I'll need to be able to eat pastries and breakfast items without issue, foods almost always with egg in them.

Historically, the time when I was good and healthy for around 6 months, one of the items being avoided was the garlic and onion genus family.

The case is not solved yet, but I like the trail I'm on.
09-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #67
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thinking about it, back when I ate chicken and soy sauce frequently, along with eggs, I had good energy but upset stomachs. I was also eating some garlic back then, but not much. It occurred to me that I was doing a lot of exercises involving stomach muscles. I know now that these kinds of exercises are a big problem for me. Back then I wouldn't have known that.

Well, anyway, something to note and test on a future date.
09-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #68
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good energy today. No breathing problems, it's easy to sit down. No joint problems. THe knees are feeling great. I've really been stressing the knees also with tennis play and with bike riding. Typically I'd be weight lifting in order to help the legs cope. There is something about squats that help keep the knees strong and be able to handle exercise abuse. I've not been weight lifting since leaving Florida due to hurricane Irma.

Weight is approx. 180lbs give or take a pound. Body fat is 12%.

Added a few new foods to the diet. Added tuna in olive oil, red wine, and potatoes. All 3 are safe tested foods in the past. Well, potatoes are less tested but I have good confidence in the spud no causing me problems.
09-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #69
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The breakfast comment made me chuckle a bit. Commenting further on eating breakfast all the time, my thinking on that was more in line of a quick reference. Breakfast is typically the only meal served that doesn't come mixed with spices such as garlic and onions. Meats served of course can be an exception. (I can't say with certainty those two spices are the culprits! but this morning signs point to them.)

My eating philosophy is simple. I eat to feel good. If something I believe will make me feel sickly I avoid. If a meal I believe will make me feel well it is all good to consume. I'm looking forward toward to the day where I view food more typically as most do. - a pleasurable experience, something to enjoy.

This mornings breakfast and meal for anytime of the day is somewhat of a traditional meal at home for me of late. I had:

Brown rice cake with grape jelly
Tune in olive oil
An orange
some grapes
a few bites of chocolate
cheese

Breakfast has gone down well and has me feeling good.

Another topic to mention, I'm more expressive of late. I noticed this change right after I began avoiding garlic salt. This is one of those items that is hard to quantify. It is a change I'll forget about soon. Should be fun when playing tennis today though! I won't be shy about expressing winning shots.
09-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #70
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It was a really good day today. For the last few days everything feels light. It is hard to describe other than it's easy to do tasks when ever I want.

The gut is fantastic. No pains to report.

Tennis today was not the best. It was overly hot, and I was in the sun. All the exercising I've been pushing myself to do caught up with me. I was tired as a result, but not fatigued. Despite my complaints, I hit decently well enough.

So far so good with avoiding garlic and onions! I suspect this is the answer. This is how I want to feel. More energy is wanted, and more health is needed, but that will come if this the answer. I'm pleased with the diet. Oh, potatoes were delicious and not an issue. Not that I thought they were but new food, I should note.
09-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #71
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
There it was, the finger nail problem after eating garlic for awhile. I noticed it yesterday. As noted when eating garlic for a few days the skin around finger nails begins to pull away and eventually bleed. It has an IBD stomach ring to it, bleeding in odd places.

I hadn't noticed the most recent example of that till yesterday when I could see the nails healing. The finger nails appear to be becoming smaller. Some kind of bad reaction happens when I eat garlic/onions. I will permanently avoid these two spices/flavor enhancements.

There are other problem foods. The most notable is melons/pumpkin. These are a traditional allergic reaction - eat small amount feel horrible for a few hours, then feel back to normal. It's easy to avoid melons.

I don't know what to make of chicken, eggs, turkey and pork. They are only problem foods when eaten exclusively for over a week. The problem is minor and energy levels not effected. My guess, this problem should go away as the stomach heals. It is also easy to not eat these foods exclusively.

Fiber rich foods are a problem. To much fiber can cause stomach issues. As an example, I love blueberries. I would not want to eat many blueberries right now though. If I'm well for 2 to 3 months in a row, then a healthier stomach can eat bowels of blueberries without problems.
09-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #72
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Something I forgot to mention. Last week I learned that my nephew Jude had begun following the paleo diet. He did this due to feeling run down, and having little energy. I can relate about the poor energy levels.

I was not surprised when I learned this. Jude has always had health problems since a young boy. When younger he suffered from relatively minor stomach problems. His mom was greatly worried over it. He suffered from major breathing issues. He also has complained to me about having poor energy levels in the past.

Jude is a very accomplished young man. He's an academic star. Most notably he took a college entrance exam in 7th grade and scored a higher score than his mom. She went to the University of Illinois. He also does well in sports, having traveled around the country to play in different events.

Jude is right at the age where I became sick to my stomach. I doubt that he will suffer from the same stomach issues and extreme poor energy levels as I have. I suspect though that if I solve my health problems and that they are caused by garlic/onions mainly, that my nephew Jude inherited the same reaction to garlic/onions that I have. It is just a guess but something I need to remember.

My stomach is now doing well. If in two months I find myself with very good energy I need to talk to my nephew and sister about what I've done successfully to improve my energy levels.
09-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #73
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Forgot to mention - yesterday I added toast to my diet! It was delicious. This morning I bought some cookies.

Everything so far is going down well.
09-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #74
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That is good.
09-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #75
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Ron!
09-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #76
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Today I ate many cookies with egg in them. I felt really good today!

That was the most wheat that I've eaten in years. For my condition it is often said that wheat is a problem food, to be avoided. It did and has helped the stomach some when avoiding wheat.

I've always realized that when avoiding wheat, one tends to avoid many other foods that often go with flour products. if the answer is garlic/onions then avoiding wheat had me avoiding by and large many spicy Italian dishes. I'm guessing today that is what I did right in that circumstance.
09-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #77
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Stomach still doing great. Energy levels up yesterday. This morning I'm feeling good. This is after I began eating cookies with eggs in them. That will be the main item I follow the next couple of days.

Since avoiding garlic/onions I've been sleeping well.
09-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #78
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've been thinking about it since the weekend, it's not easy pin pointing a for sure answer, but I'm reasonably sure garlic and onion are the primary cause of my stomach issues. I feel to good when avoiding them for it not to be! At least that is what I tell myself.

So the main helpers in this are eating brown rice which helped improve energy levels, and avoiding garlic/ onions. With this the stomach is well most of the time, and energy levels much elevated. I could be on my feet all day with the way I feel now.

There is also the stranger stomach issues, mentioned early, caused by other food items. Some are a problem, others probably not a problem, or a big problem.

Regardless, going forward I'll be writing less on my "success story" thread. I'll assume I have my answer, also will realize that not all days will be great and have expectations that I'll continue to grow stronger, and the stomach will continue to improve, etc.

The main two items I hope to see improvement in are, being able to weight lift and not feel overly worn down the next day, and want to see my eyes turn blue. It appears I've already made progress into the weight lifting item as yesterday I did 40 push-ups and don't feel tired today. Being able to spell better would be oh so nice too!
09-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #79
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hey Beach,

Your spelling is 99% and I'm very happy to hear of your success. I like the way you have documented things in a fairly scientific manner. This thread is very interesting and may be of use to many others. Keep up the good work! I really hope things work out with your house in Florida.

Cheers bud,

Chris
09-19-2017, 05:24 AM   #80
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Chris,

I wish I could say with certainty that I'm on the right diet. It would be very nice if a correct answer was found for my stomach that sirens went off, lights flashed, ticker tape parade was held. With what I'm experiencing though I have good confidence that I now have a diet I can reference that not only makes my stomach well most of the time but also gives me energy.

Now comes the waiting game, healing.

I'm laughing a bit this morning. I began eating cookies with eggs in them the other day. Fully expecting that with this food I would be putting on weight. Nope! Instead I dropped a few pounds and lost another % of body fat. I'm living the fantasy of every dieter, eat chocolate chip cookies and loose weight.
09-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #81
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Worth mentioning, I had a lot of energy today. Part of that is due to sitting around for most of the day. The other part being due to feeling better. Having energy is always a nice problem to have.

I'll make more of a point tomorrow to keep active.
09-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #82
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I will agree

09-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #83
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Another decent good energy day. Found myself a little run down this afternoon after being on my feet this morning most of the time but nothing to complain about. I imagine the good energy will continue to improve further in the days ahead.
09-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #84
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wow, I really played well at tennis tonight. I had all kinds of energy. I was hitting strong.

I don't know if this means anything. Possibly it is additional info on the positives of avoiding garlic and onions for me. When I first arrived in Illinois and began playing tennis I was still eating garlic. The first two sessions of hitting were poor for me. Then I stopped eating garlic. That was all I changed in my diet, avoided garlic. Right away I began playing much better at tennis. My hitting and running around the court were grealy improved.

Nicely also my knees still do not hurt. They are abused playing tennis but no soreness has developed.
09-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #85
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hey Beach,

That's Awesome! I'm glad you are having some fun.

Cheers buddy!
09-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #86
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Cmack,

I've feeling quite lively this morning too after last nights hitting. Typically after running around like that, on a hot evening, I'd be worn down the next day. About all I can complain about now is my wrist is sore and knees a tiny bit achy. Not bad.

Thinking about it, I have 3 energy levels.

The low energy level is as it sounds, has me with very low energy. This is what I think of as my planning level of energy. I annoyingly plan everything in advance when energy levels suffer to the lowest level. Personality is reserved. I tend to not interact with people much when energy lacks. Basically I'm friendly but to tired to want to be around other people. The stomach tends to be at it's worst when energy levels are low.

The middle level, where I'm currently at, is a tolerable/ good energy level to be. I'm more out going, and engaging. It's much easier to get projects done. Less planning in advance is thought about. I'm more with it basically. I'm happy to talk with others and have a good time. On the down side I'm still not entirely with it. Hmmm...I think that is a good way to describe it. Hard to put into words.

The high level of energy is fun. In the evening in particular I'm full of all kinds of energy, wanting and looking to do projects, go out, be around people, etc. I think of this as more of an energy level most people have most of the time. It's heaven for me when energy levels are on the highest level.

Last edited by Beach; 09-21-2017 at 07:17 AM.
09-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #87
cmack

My Support Groups:
Good description, I'm practically the same way.
09-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #88
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's been another good energy day for me. I have a nice streak going. Imagine if I can continue these good energy days I'll be at the high energy level in no time.

My theory is that it is the brown rice that is helping me with having greater energy. Time and healing matter too.
09-22-2017, 06:31 AM   #89
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Figured out that cookies can be a mild problem. I began eating cookies a number of days ago. Not long afterwards I began to experience mild cramping. It wasn't much to worry about, but was something I noticed. I stopped eating the cookies for a day or two. The cramping stopped. Then yesterday I ate cookies and last night experienced the mild cramping.

It's one of those things that isn't a big issue. The stomach has been good basically. It's been awhile since I've been sick. I figure though it will be good to stop eating cookies for awhile, till at least the gut heals up better. I also have a long car trip coming up. Wouldn't want to be cramping while on the road.

I still have excellent energy. I'm quite pleased about that. Geographic tongue is looking good. I think it is healing but there remain some lines that can be seen.
09-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #90
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
A little disappointing today, I was tired. I know why. Yesterday I lifted some weights. That can drain me of energy sometimes. It's a good test though.

When well for a longer period of time I can lift weights and feel energized as a result. I'm not at that point yet.

Stomach is doing great. Little to complain there.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well