Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well

09-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #91
Beach
Forum Monitor

Stomach doing great this morning. Energy levels OK, but nothing to brag about. Was invited to go to the state capital this morning. I agreed. Typically I'd have such a trip planned out a day or two in advance. Now, feeling half way decent It's not as much of a big deal.
09-23-2017, 03:38 PM   #92
cmack

My Support Groups:
I hope you have a good time.
09-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #93
Beach
Forum Monitor

Thanks Chris!

It was f%#king freezing at the museum! I suspect they have Abe Lincoln's body in deep freeze somewhere there. It was rather strange as all the employees were wearing sweaters, one was even sporting a light winter jacket. I survived the couple hours in the freeze. I warmed up later as it was hot outside.

Stomach concerns, had a plain commercial hamburger for lunch. It has gone down well. So far no stomach complaints. There for awhile I was speculating that grass fed beef is what was helping me. Todays lunch lends further evidence toward garlic/ onions being the problem for me. Energy levels are back up and doing well this afternoon. I'm pleased!
09-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #94
Beach
Forum Monitor

Yesterday day was a good day for a couple of reasons. I was on my feet all day. Typically I don't have the energy to do that. I'll want a nap at some point in the day. Very good sign I was thinking that I handled walking around for the day. The other good bit was eating out on the road. I'll eat out sometimes while in town. It's rare for me to eat 100 miles from home. Do that can mean trouble, due to not only potential stomach issues but also concerns over being ill resulting in near zero energy. It didn't bother me eating on the road yesterday though. I feel I have a good idea of what is causing my health issues with garlic/ onions.

Gut is doing well this morning. Energy is a little on the lower side at the moment but it should rebound later in the day.
09-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #95
Beach
Forum Monitor

Good day for the stomach. Lazy day overall. I mentioned about being tired yesterday but think todays tiredness is more about all the exercising and tennis play I've been doing. Coming home as been one workout after another! it was a good day to rest. I'll be back at it tomorrow.
09-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #96
cmack

My Support Groups:

Stomach concerns, had a plain commercial hamburger for lunch. It has gone down well. So far no stomach complaints. There for awhile I was speculating that grass fed beef is what was helping me. Todays lunch lends further evidence toward garlic/ onions being the problem for me. Energy levels are back up and doing well this afternoon. I'm pleased!
Hey Beach,

I think when it comes to the grass fed beef it takes a while to notice positive results, so on the other hand if you ate a different type that was sub par, it also would take some time for negative results to appear. Just my thoughts.

I hope all is well,

Chris
09-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #97
Beach
Forum Monitor

Chris,

I agree. The regular beef was just for one meal. I know in the past that when I had problems with commercial beef, it was typically on the 7th day of eating beef for each meal that I experienced terrible pains, stomach issues lasting 24 hours, with one time sending me to the ER.

The problem for me is that I ate commercial beef with garlic and onions. Garlic I know will cause me to bleed, in my finger nails and with my gums. That is a very well recorded notice in my notes.

In theory though the grass fed/wild caught fish theory makes some sense. Anyway, for now I'm still following both ideas, avoid garlic and onions and eat grass fed/ wild foods most of the time.

I shouldn't forget, when I stopped eating garlic two weeks ago, my tennis play improved and strength greatly increased, right away.

Added candy to the diet today. Well, I've been eating candy off and on lately but it's more official today. No problems to report with the candy. I've gotten a jump on Halloween!
09-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #98
Beach
Forum Monitor

Good news, the geographic tongue/ tongue sores are gone. The tongue looks healed up. I might finally have an answer on what causes my geographic tongue with garlic/onions.

It's hard to say what this means. My guess though is that with the tongue being at the beginning of the digestive tract, what ever effects the tongue likely effects other parts of my digestive system. I've thought what ever I see wrong with the tongue likely can be seen further down into the intestines.

My thoughts at this time is that I now have a diet that can make me well. The main two items I'm doing is avoiding garlic/onions plus I'm also eating grass fed beef, grass fed cheese, and wild caught tuna in olive oil. My hope is that if I stay with the same diet for an extended period of time, my energy levels will further improve, and other areas will heal up. In particular I'll feel more secure with the diet once my eyes turn blue once again. It's the big goal I aim for! It's a visual reminder of doing well.
09-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #99
Beach
Forum Monitor

Another good day for the gut! I'm going to jinx myself saying that, but the good days for the stomach continue and hope they continue for another week at least. I'm hitting the road this weekend for Florida. Long trip and typically I'd be worked up and a bit nervous about that. Now, I'm feel good and about ready to go and get home. I'll cook a few foods to bring with me. That's about it for the trip.
09-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #100
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wishing you continued success.
09-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #101
Beach
Forum Monitor

Thanks Ron,

I'm not much into the press, but I enjoyed this news article from last week. It's about the quarterback Tom Brady and his diet. As was mentioned on TV he eats for good health and not pleasure. Reminded me of me! I'll have to look into green smoothies for myself.

What does Tom Brady eat?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-bra...iet-nutrition/
09-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #102
cmack

My Support Groups:
Green smoothies are what I eat, at least one a day. I consider it to be the healthiest meal of the day. If you want a good basic recipe just ask, I have a few that were given to me by my GP.
09-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #103
Beach
Forum Monitor

Thanks Chris. I'll likely take you up on that offer in the future.
09-26-2017, 06:08 AM   #104
Beach
Forum Monitor

Health round up for the morning. It's a mix of good and bad news.

The tongue is looking good. To be honest there are some slight lines remaining on the tongue but they appear to be healing quickly.

Woke up to leg cramping. That hurt! This is a problem I've not known what to make of. The cramping happens when the stomach begins to behave better. I know from experience that it works like this, I begin to experience muscle cramping. It lasts for awhile. Then suddenly the cramping goes away and I begin to experience very high levels of energy. So it's good and bad news. I'm not happy to have cramping but it likely means good news in the long run.

Stomach slightly upset this morning. The cause was likely eating to much candy. That's what it feels like. It might have been due to the 90 minute bike ride too. Hard to say. I need to be extra careful going forward since I have a long car drive beginning Saturday.

I'm thinking of canceling tennis tonight due to the long drive to Florida this weekend, and the mild stomach issue. I love my tennis but as well as we have been hitting, I'm sure I'll be wiped out for days after hitting. Yeah, kind of humorous in a way, the better we play, the happier we are after hitting. Then we complain non stop about hitting well and running to much, causing us to be overly sore and tired.
09-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #105
Beach
Forum Monitor

This made me chuckle a bit. It's likely an old commercial. it's something I don't know about. I've been mentioning that I don't believe I've eaten shrimp before. Over the past week on TV I've noticed how Red Lobster is now playing a commercial for "Amber colored Honey shrimp". I've been looking for new wild caught food to eat. If it doesn't have garlic in it, I'll stop by Red Lobster and give it a try.

Tiring day today. Tomorrow should be better. Gut doing great. Overall it was a so so day.
09-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #106
Beach
Forum Monitor

I was thinking further on my being tired today. There might be an answer in the cheese I began to eat. The grass fed cheese I eat comes in many different flavors. I bought a new flavor the other day. I'm guessing that is it. It tastes more salty than the other cheeses, and possibly that is the cause for being tires, more salt than i'm used to. I'll go back to the typical delicious favor I eat tomorrow and see what happens.
09-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #107
cmack

My Support Groups:
Shrimp works out great for me. I seem to tolerate that best of all the seafood's. I think they are fairly low on the food chain so therefore less pollution is present in them, compared to tuna for example.

Yeah, be sure to check the other ingredients though as it seems you have trouble with the garlic and onions.

Best of luck, as always,

Chris
09-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #108
Beach
Forum Monitor

Thanks Chris for sharing your experience with shrimp. I'll give it a try in the future. I've joked that I'd had shrimp indirectly. Many years ago I used to do some fishing with shrimp as bait. The fish had good talent at taking our bait before we eventually caught one. They were undoubtably full of shrimp before we caught them.

Having eaten the same foods for awhile now I'm dreaming of eating new foods! Learned last night on the news of another food I'll be eating in the future. The news had a segment on the history of pancakes. Yesterday was national pancake day. They talked about how in the past pancakes were considered good eating for all meals during the day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Later famous historical figures were mentioned that loved their pancakes. As an example Shakespeare wrote about eating pancakes in his plays. Then the news casters had a short debate on what doughy foods taste best, pancakes or more Italian spicy foods. i vote pancakes!

Health round up this morning. Tongue looks great. Energy levels are poor. I'm not sure that is the case. It happens though sometimes, I'm doing well to the gut but for some mysterious reason energy levels are on the down side.
09-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #109
Beach
Forum Monitor

This is disappointing. I remain pretty tired and fatigued this afternoon. I was hoping that after I switched back to the cheese I was previously eating that my energy would return. That hasn't been the case. There are some other possibilities. I did begin eating a different type of rice cake. The one I was eating was not in stock in any of the stores. Possibly the new rice cake is higher in fiber, which in turn is causing me trouble. I found this morning the store restocked with the old brown rice cake I was eating. Maybe I'll get lucky and that is the answer. I also started eating a different type of chocolate. I'll switch back to the previous chocolate.

What ever it is, I should still be able to make the long trip to Florida this weekend. The gut is not hurting. I can sit without being in pain. The big problem is just poor energy. I should be able to push through the fatigue.

What I'm really pleased about is my tongue. It looks great. I've often wondered over the years what the heck was causing it to have the lines. The only food that I removed from my diet was garlic. Once that happened the tongue began to heal up. I can't help but think that will translate into a healed stomach. It's a gradual process to heal up, and the same for damaging the stomach I suspect. Once healed I could eat some garlic (not that I would) for a week or two and not experience stomach issues.
09-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #110
cmack

My Support Groups:
Maybe the stress is getting to you, I find I have low energy if stressed out. I'm sure it must have some kind of influence on our energy levels. Just take it slow and easy for a bit if you need to. Remember, "The Tortoise and the Hare."
09-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #111
Beach
Forum Monitor

The energy has returned. I stopped eating the new chocolate. Not long after I did that I felt much better. I'll see how I'm doing tomorrow morning. That will be the real test. So far it appears that I have an answer though, organic environmentally friendly chocolate did a number on me.
09-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #112
cmack

My Support Groups:
It does makes a person wonder how well the vetting process works for so called organics. There are counterfeit currencies and Louis Vuitton bags... Hmmm.
09-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #113
Beach
Forum Monitor

Just a guess, but it might be their chocolate manufacturing process that is the problem. I used to work in the food industry and recall how different manufacturing processing can leave different chemicals within the food item.
09-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #114
Beach
Forum Monitor

Sad to note this evening, my father is having stomach troubles this evening. It's likely an old Vietnam era issue. Rolls are reversed! He is almost never ill. Hopefully we will make it to Florida this weekend.

This is us though. Someone is bound to have health issues in the family before a trip.

It is nice for me being healthy of late. The basics, it seems many are happy for me and hope I'm healthy. Believe it or not several have suggested that I write a book, eventually. if only I gain more energy and that spelling along with grammar issue goes away. Eventually that should happen.
09-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #115
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Prayers for your father.

09-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #116
cmack

My Support Groups:
Agree.
09-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #117
Beach
Forum Monitor

That appears to be the answer to the fatigue, the organic chocolate I began eating. I'm feeling much better this morning. My muscle do not hurt. I have decent energy. There is always the possibility something else was the cause. The new chocolate is likely the answer though.

I don't really need to eat chocolate but have found it to be a safe snack food. I'll keep it in the diet, with the older German made chocolate I buy at Target.

Dad's doing well this morning. He has an entirely different problem from what I have. It's a gerd type issue but a little different. The theory is that he picked up the problem when training in the military. The drill instructors would have the guys eat a meal then right afterwards do stomach sit ups. The connecting valve between the esophagus and stomach was likely damaged as a result.
09-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #118
Beach
Forum Monitor

Great day today, lots of energy, feeling upbeat, I'm ready for a long car trip. What ever is in that chocolate bar it's poison. At least that is my guess on what happened to zap my energy over the last few weeks.

Overall doing well. The gut is good. My weight is down a little but I'm guessing that is water weight. I'm pleased to see it. It will be easy to gain back once the really good energy arrives. I was hoping to make 10% body fat! I missed that as I'm at 11%. WHen I return home i'll have to continue to long bike rides and walks and make that 10% athletic mark. On the body fat charts 10% is the upper limit for athletic. I'm not sure how accurate these things are, but I'm going with it!

I guess now it is a waiting game, heal up and begin adding new foods to the diet. I can't wait to expand my diet.
09-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #119
Beach
Forum Monitor

Ya! It's the eve of leaving for Florida! I'm so ready to get home. Will be leaving bright and early tomorrow morning as we hope to make it to the south side of Atlanta, about 10 hours of driving. This will be the longest I've driven on my own. It shouldn't be a problem. With the way I'm feeling, I'm confident I'll make it without problem.

Reflecting back on the writing done, this has been therapeutic for me. It's as good as seeing a therapist.

For the last couple of years I've been able to regularly make myself well to the stomach. The main problems have been, pin pointing what has been making myself ill, avoiding temptations foods/ keeping on the straight and narrow path, and not being entirely pleased with results/ not enough energy, not appearing healthy enough/ basically not having enough patience.

There is also the problem of running into what I refer to as minor causes of stomach/ health issues. The recent episode with the organic chocolate is a good example. I will never know what caused the chocolate to cause me to have poor energy. In the past I could over analysis possible causes. Now, I realize it's not something to overly worry over. In all likely hood the selling company is using a cheaper processing method that saves them money but leaves some substances in the chocolate that cause health issues for me. Most people that eat the chocolate wouldn't think twice about it. For me, with poorer energy levels, it's something I feel.

Well, I'm largely well to the gut at this point. I don't know how long I've been well to the stomach, but I'd guess it's been around two weeks. This raises another issue, when to know when I'm well enough to be reliable? I know to be as healthy as I wanted will take months if not years. I have a good idea of what I can be when the gut is healed up.

Now though i want to be less of a perfectionist. I want to have a good safe diet planned out, and have good energy levels, levels that can take me through out the day easily. From there I can push off into the world.
09-29-2017, 06:43 AM   #120
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hope it continues for you

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » My journey to getting well