• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice on fissures, could I have IBD?

I'm a 29 yr old woman in the UK, and started having diarrhoea every morning about 7 years ago. It's usually worse in the morning, but I'll have an occasional bout in the afternoon.

Then about 5 years ago I developed a deep anal fissure which took a very long time to heal. Ever since then I've been getting multiple fissures, they used to heal then retear constantly, but I've had 2 for the last 3 months that haven't healed at all.

I've had botox twice, and fissurectomy which helped for about 6 months, but now they're back, and it's getting me down.

I'm not sure whether to try and have the LIS surgery as the thought of incontinence is extremely worrying. I had a manometry test done, they said my anal resting pressure is normal, but my sphincter doesn't relax at all when I bear down as it should. I also have a rectocele which makes me worry that there could be a higher chance of incontinence with the LIS. I'm not really sure where to go from here, does anyone have similar experience with fissures?

I'm bloated most of the time, and my left side is more bloated than the right. I also get aching and stabbing pain down the left side of my abdomen. I occasionaly have bright red blood in my poo, but figure this is probably the fissures.

I've had blood tests and they have always been normal, but recently had a calprotectin test. The result was 62, so they want to retest me again.

If my retest is still borderline, or higher than the first result I'm not sure whether to push for a colonoscopy or not? As from what I've read a result of 62 isn't that bad, just all the stuff with the fissures concerns me that there could be something more sinister going on.

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated as I've got to a point where I'm so fed up with it all!

I'm a 29 yr old woman in the UK, and started having diarrhoea every morning about 7 years ago. It's usually worse in the morning, but I'll have an occasional bout in the afternoon.

Then about 5 years ago I developed a deep anal fissure which took a very long time to heal. Ever since then I've been getting multiple fissures, they used to heal then retear constantly, but I've had 2 for the last 3 months that haven't healed at all.

I've had botox twice, and fissurectomy which helped for about 6 months, but now they're back, and it's getting me down.

I'm not sure whether to try and have the LIS surgery as the thought of incontinence is extremely worrying. I had a manometry test done, they said my anal resting pressure is normal, but my sphincter doesn't relax at all when I bear down as it should. I also have a rectocele which makes me worry that there could be a higher chance of incontinence with the LIS. I'm not really sure where to go from here, does anyone have similar experience with fissures?

I'm bloated most of the time, and my left side is more bloated than the right. I also get aching and stabbing pain down the left side of my abdomen. I occasionaly have bright red blood in my poo, but figure this is probably the fissures.

I've had blood tests and they have always been normal, but recently had a calprotectin test. The result was 62, so they want to retest me again.

If my retest is still borderline, or higher than the first result I'm not sure whether to push for a colonoscopy or not? As from what I've read a result of 62 isn't that bad, just all the stuff with the fissures concerns me that there could be something more sinister going on.

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated as I've got to a point where I'm so fed up with it all!
Hi beck

I'm the same age and also in the UK.

I would have a colonoscopy just to rule out IBD. Stomach issues could be IBS and the frequent toilet trips causing the fissures.
Fissures are bloody horrible. Pardon the pun!

Have you tried rectogesic ointment for the fissures?

I had LIS surgery with a sphincterotomy about 4 years ago xx

Hey sorebutt thanks for replying, yeah I've always just been told it's IBS but I wanted to be sure to rule out IBD. Do you think IBD would be unlikely with a calprotectin of 62?
I don't know if I'll have to argue with my GP to get a colonoscopy, but borderline still isn't "normal" is it? Could a colonoscopy make the fissures worse?

Yep I've tried rectogesic, and diltiazem they haven't really helped all that much. I'm just worried I'll have to live with these fissures forever :( how was the LIS for you, did you have any incontinence after?

Hey sorebutt thanks for replying, yeah I've always just been told it's IBS but I wanted to be sure to rule out IBD. Do you think IBD would be unlikely with a calprotectin of 62?
I don't know if I'll have to argue with my GP to get a colonoscopy, but borderline still isn't "normal" is it? Could a colonoscopy make the fissures worse?

Yep I've tried rectogesic, and diltiazem they haven't really helped all that much. I'm just worried I'll have to live with these fissures forever :( how was the LIS for you, did you have any incontinence after?
Calprotectin results can vary for everyone.

A colonoscopy could potentially cause you a few problems with fissures since they obviously have to put the camera up there (and you'll need to take prep which will cause you to go to the toilet.... A LOT, so may also cause a bit of pain)

When are they looking to retest your FC? Have you had bloods done to test ESP and CRP? (they're inflammation markers... but this could be anywhere in the body, not necessarily IBD) but if these are high too, it may go in your favour to have further investigations. You could have an MRI if they think a colonoscopy would cause problems.

That's a shame the ointments didn't help much. How long did you use them for and how often ?

The LIS was ok... It's a bit of a blur to be honest as I had a couple of procedures one at one. No real incontinence as such, more that I had to go to the toilet and wipe regularly after a BM. If you get what I mean lol.

Feel free to PM me :) xxx

Yeah the colonoscopy sounds scary - just the thought of making the fissures worse and being in even more pain. I can't imagine them being willing to give me an MRI.

I'm waiting on another colorectal surgeon appt but they said there's high demand so I've no idea when it will be. Been waiting 2 months it's frustrating.

Had the FC about a month ago, so he's said I can do one again now. I guess I will wait and see what the result is this time, I guess it could end up being normal. The blood tests were normal, can't remember if it was ESR or CRP, but one of those was just 1 over the normal level.

I used the rectogesic for about 6 months, twice a day, and the dilit for about the same.

Glad that the LIS went okay for you :) it's horrible that we have to go through these kind of problems x

Yeah the colonoscopy sounds scary - just the thought of making the fissures worse and being in even more pain. I can't imagine them being willing to give me an MRI.

I'm waiting on another colorectal surgeon appt but they said there's high demand so I've no idea when it will be. Been waiting 2 months it's frustrating.

Had the FC about a month ago, so he's said I can do one again now. I guess I will wait and see what the result is this time, I guess it could end up being normal. The blood tests were normal, can't remember if it was ESR or CRP, but one of those was just 1 over the normal level.

I used the rectogesic for about 6 months, twice a day, and the dilit for about the same.

Glad that the LIS went okay for you :) it's horrible that we have to go through these kind of problems x
Fissures are so horrible. I hope you don't ever get fistula's... they are even worse :( I hate them.

Such a shame the ointments didn't really help. The rectogesic used to give me a banging headache.

Let us know how you get on. X