Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Going off all medication-is it the best choice?

09-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
jfried3

Going off all medication-is it the best choice?

I'm on 6-mp and have bad side effects. My doctor ordered blood-work to see the amount in my system, and the results showed no amounts of it. Since my body doesn't seem to be absorbing it correctly, she is taking me off and seeing how I fare without any medication. Along with Crohn's I have severe IBS and even on the 6-mp had stomach pain and bowel problems. I feel like being on nothing is going to completely ruin the slight improvement I have. Do I ask for another medication? Do I ask for IBS medication instead of treating the Crohn's? Please help!
09-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi. I think that would be a bad choice to go off all medication. You could be doing worse damage to your body. You might ask if a stronger medication might help. Maybe there is another medication that your body would absorb. Talk to your doctor and see what he says. Let us know how you are. Hoping the best.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
09-25-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

Have you ever tried a diet approach to IBS? The FODMAP?
If you go with the wait and see approach as proposed by your GI, I would ask for very close monitoring (blood works and fecal calprotectine) to make sure the disease is not coming back.

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Going off all medication-is it the best choice?