• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Moving from Budesonide to Prednisolone

Should symptoms get worse before they get better doing so?

For the longest time i have been cruising on 12mg of budesonide and feeling more or less normal, but with day to day bloating and an obstruction every couple of months or so. Finally a camera discovered a stricture mid-ileum behind this, with an active ulcer and so i was changed to 40mg prednisolone to get it ready for a balloon dilation.

However these past four days since changing my gut has felt far worse, it is distended permanently and burns. I can feel the stricture is angry and waiting to go. I'm even still taking 6mg of budesonide alongside just to stop it boiling over furiously.

Has anyone had any experience with this transition?

Other meds: entyvio, 6-mp, mesalazine

Hmmm. I'm really interested in your 12 mg dose of Budesonide. My GI has me take from 3-9 depending on how I am doing. 12 mg is something for me to think about because I am flattened by pain about once a week and think it is due to a narrowing at the terminal ileum they found last year.

Regarding the switch to prednisone, it has given me a lot of pain in my stomach and last time I took it I also took sucralfate which helped a lot. Have you contacted your GI about it?

I made this switch when I was first diagnosed. Budesonide wasn't enough to stop the flare, but prednisone worked quite quickly. It sounds like you are dealing with illness that is behaving differently than mine has, so I don't know what would be expected. Have you contacted your doctor? I hope you get some relief soon.

Hmmm. I'm really interested in your 12 mg dose of Budesonide. My GI has me take from 3-9 depending on how I am doing. 12 mg is something for me to think about because I am flattened by pain about once a week and think it is due to a narrowing at the terminal ileum they found last year.

Regarding the switch to prednisone, it has given me a lot of pain in my stomach and last time I took it I also took sucralfate which helped a lot. Have you contacted your GI about it?
12mg is actually something i started myself when i had 2 obstructions in a week during a very busy time of work. It worked very well and my GI went along with it. Im quite tall and muscular so i tend to figure i can play around with the upper range of doses.

After posting this i spent all night awake with a mild obstruction so went to the hospital in case it got worse and to replan treatment. Ill meet with a GI later.

I made this switch when I was first diagnosed. Budesonide wasn't enough to stop the flare, but prednisone worked quite quickly. It sounds like you are dealing with illness that is behaving differently than mine has, so I don't know what would be expected. Have you contacted your doctor? I hope you get some relief soon.
My disease has never followed a particularly normal path, i get almost no symptoms despite severe disease and it hasn't been affected in the slightest by most medications but budesonide does a great job. I have exclusively small intestinal crohns but the whole lot is affected. I suspected pred would be meant to work quickly so it'll probably be wise for me to go back to budesonide...