Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Stelara for Crohn's question

09-28-2017, 04:13 AM   #1
Ladyct03

Stelara for Crohn's question

Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm a 51 y/o female that as had Crohn's disease, among other autoimmune, since 20+ years. I've tried just about all medications, oral, injection & IV, that is available. Some have given me short improvement but this time my doc says that Stelara might be the last known available in my area.

My question is. Has anybody out there tried Stelara? I'm nervous due to the side effects, which are the same as Crohn's. I seem to have a negative reaction to everything.
09-28-2017, 05:15 AM   #2
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ds just started Stelara
Too early to tell for him
He has only had the iv loading dose
Here is the Stelara section
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=331
09-28-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
Ladyct03

How did you do with loading dose?
09-28-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ds had No issues with the loading dose
He was given iv steriods at the same time
He is almost 14 and has had Crohns for over 7 years.
No side effects from it either
He gets the first injection soon
09-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Tuff

My Support Groups:
I started Stelara in May. I haven't had any side effects from it, even though I've reacted to everything else I've been on. I was doing fine until I caught a stomach bug at work, and two weeks later started mildly flaring. I'm on a Prednisone taper but will continue with the Stelara. It can take a while for it to take effect. The first infusion is faster than Remicade, and after that you just get an injection. I take it in the upper arm.

Stelara, Warfarin, calcium, Vitamins B12, D.
Previously: 5-Asa, Cipro, Flagyl, Prednisone, Aza, Remicade.
Pulmonary Embolism, DVT's, osteopenia, Peripheral neuropathy.
09-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #6
Ladyct03

Thank you for the information. I go today for the initial infusion.
09-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Ladyct03

Thank you for the information. I go today for the initial infusion.
09-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hope the best for you.
09-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
Kvanbeek

My Support Groups:
I have been in remission for 20 years but my Crohn's has come back with a vengeance. All my blood tests after taking Liada and perdisone have gotten much worse.
I am having horrible joint pain and my Crohn's spread into the large intestine tissues...
They just took more blood 16 tubes on Friday because of my recent test changes in 30 days...the medicine is not helping me at all.

I am 48 I MEVER miss work and I have been down and out over 30 days including ER visits...

I go back next week I really think I need to be on a much stronger medicine but everything has changed so much in 20 years...I feel lost
09-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have been in remission for 20 years but my Crohn's has come back with a vengeance. All my blood tests after taking Liada and perdisone have gotten much worse.
I am having horrible joint pain and my Crohn's spread into the large intestine tissues...
They just took more blood 16 tubes on Friday because of my recent test changes in 30 days...the medicine is not helping me at all.

I am 48 I MEVER miss work and I have been down and out over 30 days including ER visits...

I go back next week I really think I need to be on a much stronger medicine but everything has changed so much in 20 years...I feel lost
You may need to see a rheumatologist about the joint pain. I would talk to your doctor about what is going on. He may want to increase the prednisone . Are you only on prednisone and Lialda right now?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Stelara for Crohn's question