Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Social smoker and want to stop

09-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
nonosu12

Social smoker and want to stop

Hello,

I have been in remission for some years. Recently started smoking 1 or a max of 2 packs per week. Light cigarettes. Most of the times as light as 0.1 mg nicotine and sometimes normal light. I have been doing this for aprox 6 months.
Honestly I just feel stupid now because I know it is bad.

I am afraid I have done irreversible damage. I think I am fine as I don't feel any pain and I can still eat/drink everything. But I am getting super paranoid.

Have I caused severe damage by doing this? Am I going to flare soon?

Any help/advice for this super paranoid person would be appreciated.
09-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #2
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Hi and welcome! I think your best bet if you're truely wanting to quit is to talk with your regular and GI doctors. They may have some ideas for you on the best ways to quit smoking. Here is something I found on this. I hope it helps some. Please keep us updated.

https://www.healthline.com/health/cr...quit-smoking#1

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
09-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
teeny5

My Support Groups:
It is different for everyone...when I quit I had to go cold turkey. Having one here and there or tapering off doesn't work for me. I found it helpful to replace the smoking with something else. For example instead of a cigarette I would have a small candy in its place. The habit of it was hardest for me. Like you I did not smoke a lot. I'm not going to lie, I still (nearly 15 years later) think a cigarette sounds good from time to time. But, I always go back to "I do not want to smell like smoke" and "they are sooo expensive" and "I don't want to have to try to quit again."
I agree consulting with your doctors is wise. I had quit before I had Crohns so I do not know how that changes things.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
09-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
Bufford

My Support Groups:
You could try using electronic cigarettes. No smoke, it delivers nicotine without the toxins that come with combustion. Many smokers use these to reduce their exposure to smoke and to taper.
09-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
Trysha

My Support Groups:
Acupuncture worked for me.,...... Years ago now.........never smoked since
09-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #6
cmack

My Support Groups:
I went cold turkey several years ago, suffered for a week and the rest is history. You just have to want it.
09-30-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
cmack

My Support Groups:
My doc said it was detrimental to my bowel health... I decided it wasn't worth the trouble or the $$$.
10-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
Bufford

My Support Groups:
Quiting was a process for me. I smoked for most of my life, and I continued to smoke for a few years after diagnosis. However, as the cancer risk rose I started thinking more and more about it. Smoking started to appeal less to me until I one day asked myself are these things worth it? I simply stopped and never looked back. I did once have try, but it didn't taste all that great, and the thought of it not being worth it was the final nail into my smoking career. That has been about 15 years without a smoke now.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Social smoker and want to stop