• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Enlarged spleen

Latest MRE shows nothing in way of Crohn's etc. However, spleen is slightly enlarged. It was slightly enlarged 2 years ago and has increased a bit.

Has anyone seen this? Have not talked to GI, just read report online. Quick scan of articles and journals isn't conclusive although there is much more for me to read.

I appreciate hearing anything the Brain Trust might know! :D

Maya142

Staff member
Hmmm no idea...has he had mono recently by any chance?

That's all I can think of.

Really glad to hear that the MRE was clear though.

So I did a bit of journal searching and it seems that in very rare cases Crohn’s can cause some issues with the spleen. Hoping it is nothing to worry about.
Keep us,posted.

Thank you both! Now that I am dealing with the EDS and maybe some early issues with pain in both knees, it is hard to keep track of what is causing what. So much of this is linked.

I'll hope dr calls early this week.

A had an enlarged spleen, probably due to a virus. The doctor discovered it during a physical exam. Most of the time it's nothing to worry about, especially if labs look good.

Maya142

Staff member
Is your son seeing a rheumatologist or geneticist about the EDS? If so, perhaps it's worth asking the doc if the enlarged spleen could be related to the EDS, instead of the Crohn's.

He has seen a Rheumatologist. I'll follow up with him on whether it could be the EDS. Interesting.

These kids have so many different issues. It is all related? Recent allergy testing showed problems with many of the things he avoids with SCD.

Trainers and an ortho wrote off knee pain (BOTH KNEES) to tendonitis from playing too much sports. Their reco was different forms of NSAIDs. Crazy. People do not understand Crohn's and all the connections.

Maya142

Staff member
I honestly don't know if an enlarged spleen can be related to EDS - but all sorts of weird things can related to EDS, so I figure that there's no harm in asking!

My daughter's AS is so much worse than her Crohn's that she is allowed to take NSAIDs. Just wanted to mention that because NSAIDs aren't always an absolute no for people with Crohn's. Of course, they should be avoided if possible, but in my daughter's case, the benefits outweigh the risks.

There are several NSAIDs that are easier on stomach - Celebrex is generally what is used. Either Zantac or a PPI can be given to protect the stomach.

There is also Voltaren gel - since it's topical, less is absorbed. Most GIs are ok with that for joint pain and it really does help.

My daughter does not have EDS, but she is hypermobile. Physical therapy has made a HUGE difference for her - both for the hypermobility and for her AS.

my little penguin

Staff member
The thing about food allergy testing is it is has a very high false postive rate for IgE testing (food allergies that can kill)
Ds tests IgE positive to a lot of foods that ARE NOT TRUE food allergies
He does have food allergebs to tree nuts and fish
Reactions plus postive tests and clinical history are needed plus a very good allergist
Who knows good allergies

Ds arthritis is also much worse than his Crohns
So he takes Celebrex as well

Definitely talk to a rheumo about his knees.
Ds has juvenile spondyloarthritis

Good luck

Thank you both! Now that I am dealing with the EDS and maybe some early issues with pain in both knees, it is hard to keep track of what is causing what. So much of this is linked.

I'll hope dr calls early this week.
:ghug: Truer words have never been spoken.
Welcome to my and many mamas life's on this forum.

EDS can affect the spleen for different reasons.
The vascular eds that affects the spleen is more serious.
What type does your child have? I thought it was type 3.

I'm not an expert on eds yet been have er been researching all aspects.
Unfortunately, I have to inform most medical personnel on what EDS is.
Her head doc is the expert in the state and is awesome and willing to explain things to me or send me studies.