Share Facebook

12-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #31
shazamataz

Jettalady said:
rutabaga (turnip for some of you).
I've often wondered what a rutabaga is!!
12-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #32
DanSJVDavis

Rutabagas and turnips are slightly different things actually. They are related, but different. Companies tend to coat rutabaga's in a wax to keep them fresher and they're not usually kept wet, while turnips are usually kept on the wet rack in the produce department.

Turnip:

Rutabaga:

I honestly haven't eaten a rutabaga to know what, if any, difference there is between the two, but I stocked plenty of 'em in my time in Kroger produce hell.

I Was A Middle Age Writer, my blog on my journey toward becoming a published novelist.

Podunkville FX Pics
Podunkville FX
And here's my MySpace Profile: Dan Davis of Podunkville FX MySpace
12-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #33
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
It's fun to say rutabaga!
12-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #34
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

We grow our own and they were smaller this year because of a very short spring, they look like Dans bottom picture and we have to put para wax on them. My own carrots are all gone.... I ate them steamed and next year my asparagus should finally be pickable takes 3 to four years.

Rutabaga is cute lol.
12-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #35
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
I tried MBH's Chicken dinner. I used broth instead of water. It was yummy. I even forgot the soup until half way through the cooking proceess...It reminded me of The Cracker Barrel. I used broccoli for the veggie....It was a hit !
12-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #36
shazamataz

It's funny because I always thought 'rutabaga' sounded like some funky name for a car! LOL
12-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #37
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Like a fat Volkswagon Bug????
12-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #38
CrohnsHobo

Sounds good. I have tried to stay away from Stringy meats in the past. Last time I made pot roast I got really ill. Not sure if it was the veggies or the meat though.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
12-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #39
Peaches

My Support Groups:
I LOVE pot roast - with a passion! Rutabaga's if I'm remembering correctly - can be cooked and then mashed like potatoes but have a bit of a zing to them. I was JUST showing my little one what a rutabaga was at the grocery about an hour ago. She said it looked gross.... ;O) For me, turnips are much smaller, bought in bunches and are things I avoid. Too spicy and roughagy for me.
12-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #40
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

There's some interesting root vegetables that I see turning up in my local supermarket. I like Daikon radish. Despite its name, it only has a mild radish flavour. It's very nice cut up into strips, either raw or stir-fried. It's also used in Asian stews, which I guess is for crockpot as well.

Central American Jimica root is also good.
12-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #41
katiesue1506

Try this:

boneless country style ribs (as many as you'd like but usually 4lb)
4 chopped garlic cloves
half bottle of fave bbq sauce (sweet baby rays for me)
half bottle of western dressing (or catalina)

Throw it all in the pot, pouring sauces over meat and places cloves on top of meat... Cook until done through (all day on a lower setting)

When ready to eat, you pull out the ribs and cut off the fat and pull the pork apart. While doing this, turn the crockpot on high and create a thicker sauce with a bit of flour in the remaining liquid. Throw the ribs back in and stir... these are great and easy pulled pork sammiches.
12-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #42
Peaches

My Support Groups:
Um....YUMMY! That sounds great Katie.....
12-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #43
DanSJVDavis

katiesue1506 said:
half bottle of fave bbq sauce (sweet baby rays for me)
Ah, Sweet Baby Ray's...taking the world by storm, one palate at a time.

We're responsible for getting some people around here hooked on it too. The Raspberry Chipotle they have is good on poultry. We usually just buy the regular or the Hickory and Brown Sugar kind.
12-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #44
katiesue1506

Sweet Baby Rays is the absolute best BBQ... except I like Jack Daniels too when its been heated up.
12-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #45
Peaches

My Support Groups:
Anyone into Sticky Fingers here? We have a tradition with our best friends to ship a kit to one another at Christmas and we usually eat it on New Year's Day. Usually get a rack of ribs, 4 #'s of wings and some pulled pork along with two bottles of their BBQ sauce - very, very, very good - like make your fingers sticky good :O)
01-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #46
chelli

My Butt Hurts said:
I just made this last night and it's cooking at home right now!

Layer ANY vegetable on the bottom (I used broccoli, but that might not work for some)
Next layer - chicken breasts, cut or whole, doesn't really matter.
Then layer with shredded cheese, or even deli slices. (I used swiss last time, and provolone and cheddar this time.)
Then layer with a can of condensed cream soup (cream of chicken, or cream of anything.)
Pour in 1/2 to 3/4 bag of dry stuffing mix. (I use Pepperidge Farm)
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of water. Cook on low for 8 hours.

You can change most of the ingredients to suit your needs, it looks like a lot here, but I hate to cook and it is very easy.
Tee-hee, I also put in one can of artichoke hearts just to make the kids complain! Bwahahaaa.
I made this yesterday. My family loved it. For 4 of us is a huge crockpot, there were no left overs.

Diagnosed 3/2009
Methotrexate 12/2009
01-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #47
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

The hubby made a beef soup with the Rutabaga's it was so good and the rutabaga is what gives it the flavour. I didnt eat much beef but the pototoes and carrots and rutabaga's yum. We marinate the beef with meat tenderizer the night before with garlic and fry it first in to brown it and stick it in the crockpot all day... you cant beat a "pot roast style" meal!
01-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #48
Fog Ducker

Been at my dads all weekend, and he made some great chili/ stew its been awesome, he always adds randow stuff to it I love it. This time it was all diferent types of veggies.
The only thing is I have THE WORST gas!! LOL! Well worth it!
01-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #49
kenny

I like to drop in a whole chicken stuffed with a few Lemon wedges and a clove or two of garlic.

After the chicken is done I use some leftover meat and water from the veggies put into the Crockpot to make soup. A bit of mixed veggies and some spaghetti pasta broken into 2" pieces. Sometimes some rice. The lemon really adds a nice flavor to the stock.

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
01-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #50
CrohnsHobo

I have not checked in on this thread lately. Been using my crock pot making recipes off of the link that was posted in the early part of this thread.

Made Chicken and Dumplings yesterday. I find I can trim out most of the stuff that bothers me from the recipes or add what I like and they come out OK.
01-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #51
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

OMg I havent had chicken and dumplings in over 20 years, and how did it taste in the crockpot ???? Was it good?
01-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #52
CrohnsHobo

Actually was the first time I had ever had chicken and dumplings. Last week I made a beef/potato stew but this week the GF requested Chicken and Dumplings.

It came out good, but so filling. The recipe needed more broth as it came out with just a little bit in the pot after cooking for eight hours, so we added in some more chicken stock afterward to make it a bit more soupy.

This is the recipe I followed:
http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookboo...chickdump.html

Up next is this:
http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookboo...cwbycass1.html

Then this:
http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookboo.../clamchow.html

Got all the products, just need to cook them up. I do all of our cooking so easy to control what we/I eat, though I do take requests. =p
01-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #53
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Thanks I will save it !!!! A good wintertime food, my hubby is a major carnavore. LOL

Edit: I just realized I sent this link lol Got it!
06-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #54
Crohn's gal since 1989

My Support Groups:
I make roasts in mine,

4 ingredients
A roast beef, any kind
Baby potatoes, or regular potatoes quartered
Baby carrots
Salsa

Place potatoes in a ring around outside edge of crockpot
Add roast to centre, it's ok if it overlaps the potatoes a bit
Place carrots around sides of roast
Pour 1 cup of salsa on top of roast

Put your crock pot on the low setting for 9 hours
I usually throw this together before work and its ready when I get home! You can strain the juices and make gravy by putting juices into a pot, bringing them to a boil and adding water mixed with 2-3 tsps of flour ,heat through until it thickens and you can no longer taste raw flour while stirring constantly.

Good on its own or shredded with flour tortillas!
06-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #55
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Awesome, salsa. I've never thought of that. My hubby is a huge salsa fan. I might try this next. Thanks for sharing!
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
06-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #56
Amy2

My Support Groups:
My pressure cooker pretty much killed my crock pot a couple of years ago...does the same thing, much faster. Only thing that didn't turn out right was my chili (it scorched).

Favorite things to make:
Vegetable Soup, Lentil Soup and Black Beans, which all used to take 4 or 5 hours and now take about 20 minutes!
05-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #57

fourth worst cose of stomach pain for me.

dont cook any fatty foods for soo long