• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed today

Today I saw my GI with the results of a capsule endoscopy and he said he thinks I have Crohn’s. I am a 24yr old female, 130lbs 5'6'', who has been struggling with severe abdominal pain for about 21months now – 2 surgeries, 9 doctors, and an ER visit later, I still had no answers. My abdominal pain developed over a matter of a few weeks and got steadily worse over the last 21months. I feel ill most of the time (empty tummy or full, it doesn’t matter). I have a great deal of tenderness in my abdomen, along with a palpable mass which doctors seem to brush off…although it freaks me out! I had surgery for endometriosis – they found some, but the doctor said it probably wasn’t causing the pain. I then had surgery to fix a trocar hernia as a result of the previous surgery – again, not the cause of the pain. Other symptoms include: nausea, dizziness, severe pain under ribs and ribs themselves are always very tender to the touch (particularly lower right ribs), sharp stabbing pains in abdomen, shooting pains in extremities (particularly right forearm – often causing me to drop what I am holding) not brought on by movement, fatigue (but not to where I am bedbound – I just am much more tired than I’ve ever been), extremely tired/sore muscles for no reason, the feeling of not recovering well after run/exercise, and "tired" breathing (sore behind sternum and it wears me out to breath). I also have some extra weird ones like ringing in my left ear and random muscles spasms – mainly to where my right foot kicks out. Any pressure on my abdomen is difficult to handle: seatbelts hurt, cat on tummy hurts, laying on my stomach feels like I am laying on a ball. I have passed out from severe pain and the ER sent me home with Vicodin and a diagnosis of a ruptured ovarian cyst – even though my pain was under my ribs and not in my pelvis. I have had 2 CT scans, a chest X-ray, pulmonary function testing, 2EKGs, 2 pelvic ultrasounds, a HIDA scan (test for kidney stones), a colonoscopy (hate the prep work for that one), an upper endoscopy, and as I mentioned before, a capsule endoscopy. CT scans, X-ray, ultrasounds, EKGs, HIDA scan, pulmonary testing, and upper endoscopy all normal. Colonoscopy showed a benign polyp and the photos showed little red pinpricks everywhere – but the GI said it’s probably from the preparation awfulness. The capsule endoscopy showed an “abnormal section in the lower small bowel” – which is why he is now treating me for Crohn’s (I have not yet started the medication, and I forget the name). I also had a weakly positive ANA, which was shrugged off by a rheumatologist, protein and blood (not visible) in my urine and treated for a UTI, and I’m anemic. My cortisol levels were above average, but again shrugged off as well as a “abnormal kidney function” result about a year ago, also shrugged off. I have no loss of apatite/weight and no vomiting, despite the nausea. Occasional diarrhea, but usually just loose stool – sometimes thin strands and often containing quite undigested food and what looks like coffee grounds.
Phew…sorry for the long “introduction to me” – but has anyone had a similar experience? I don’t feel like I fit into most categories and certainly have had little answers to direct my way. We shall see how I do with the Crohn's medication - will I start feeling better soon?

Hi Rach. Welcome to the family. I'm sorry your having a hard go of it right now. Like most of us it took a long time to diagnose CD. Are your stools a normal color or are they dark like coffee. Most of what you have brought up is what most of us experiance.
Keep after your doctors and if you don't have a GI talk to your GP doctor to be recommended to one.
Good luck and keep us updated on your condition.

farm

Captain Insaneo
Most of what you described fits me at 1 time or another. I've had Crohn's for 15 years now.
Hopefully if it is Crohn's the medication will put you into remission really quickly!!

:welcome:

Welcome Rach! Well - you have been through a LOT it sounds like. Let's hope your medication will quiet down whatever inflammation you have going on so you can start feeling more normal. I'd be a bit concerned with all those abnormal tests being shrugged off - is this all be the same doctor? If you compile all of them and go back to your GI maybe that will give them a clearer picture because some of those things can be Crohn's related.

Hi and WELCOME Rach,

You've had a lot going on! I hope you can get the right treatment to feel better soon. This is a great place for info and support and you will find that there are a lot of differences with Crohns, sor instance most people have D but I get C, which is why they didn't think mine was Crohn's at first.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Rach,
Wow, you certainly are having a lot of unusual symptoms. Have they done any testing regarding the neurological symptoms...the shooting pains, dropping objects, dizziness and muscle pain...I was just thinking about fibromyalgia because you can have IBD symptoms with that as well. I'm not a doctor, so don't panic because I mentioned this okay?? I really hope you can get started on some meds soon so you will get some relief. Keep us posted on how you are doing:)

Hello Rach, nice to meet you, good luck with your meds, Hope they kick in soon, and you will feel better. I have had CD for almost 24 years, my Hubby has had it alittle longer than that. We support each other when times get tough. Peggy

Hi there everyone – thank you so much for replying! I’ve posted my story on other forums and never got a single response, so I think I’m in the right place :) I’m sorry to hear that some of you have had a similar experience to mine – but it does reassure me that I may actually be on the right track this time. I took my first pill last night, so let the waiting game begin :) Thank you again for your support!

Welcome to the Crohn's Forum Rach!

Hopefully the meds will kick in quickly and you will start to feel better quickly.

In the meantime rest and read...there is plenty of information
to be found here inside the forum.

Welcoming hugs~Nancy :)

Hi Rach, welcome to the forum, I am really glad you finally got some answers i have been in a similar situation since June and had a scope in Nov and am having one next tuesday so hopefully I may have some answers! It will be interest to know how the Crohns meds works for you.

I think you will find the guys on here to be very welcoming and helpful, and its great when you open you thread and WOW so many people have answered you!

take care x

Hi Rach I am awful sorry for everything you have gone through and your very lucky to have found us already, took me two years. I can't gaurantee you'll feel better soon, that depends on how quick you figure out what makes you flare, how your meds react to you, and a whole lot of things but with optimism I'll say sooner than later because right now your on nothing so some medication has to be an improvement right?

To answer your question about the coffee grounds I haven't personally but just finished reading and responding to another guy...Blahman.....who is saying he has littler black specks too? Possibly the same thing but I'm not sure what that could be from. Often we have troubles abosorbing and digesting a lot of things across our gut and this results in many different things coming out as they went it. Have you had anything with spices shortly before having that come out? I've heard some spices for people will come out in the exact form they went in?
I also will give you the recommendation of keeping a food diary. Record what you ate and what your reaction was. It can be very confusing as you'll find things that overlap with others in different meals. I would suggest starting bland and simple because then you'll find it easier to pick your "staple" foods which you know without a doubt will be fine for you to eat because at some time or another you will need them. However also as confusing and complicated as this may be also keep in mind if you already aren't feeling well almost anything (sometimes including staples) will hurt you and make you run. General rules for Crohn's may include but I won't say always: no skins-normal people can't even digest them we don't have the enzymes so imagine how much worse that is for us-, many dairy items -for me I can drink a ton of milk but Ice cream is a gauranteed overnight stay in the bathroom however things even like milk will hurt a lot of people on here-, and no seeds-basically the same reason as the first just difficult to digest. Now my aunt works at a Crohn's camp for kids in California (which was complete coincidence and she has been since before my diagnosis) but she said that Sun Chips are often a staple of kids there and often make kids who are having a very bad day actually feel better for whatever reason and I don't know its the power of thinking or what but it seems to have helped on occasion with me too so it could be worth a shot.
Also ask a ton of questions. Stress is regularly a killer for people with IBDs so ask away till your heart's content. In the end thats what your paying your doctor for so make it worth it.
I wish you the best of luck with everything and hope those pills work quickly and well for you. Remember we are all here for you and if you need to vent, need an answer, or just want to talk this is the best place to do so. Update us regularly as we love success stories.

Last edited:
Thanks RiS and evenyone else for the lovely welcome! It's good to have a place to come for some answers, and it's also good to have another somthing to fill down time at work :)