• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Antifungals

So I developed a pretty bad aspergillus (fungal) ear infection while switching from Remicade to Stelara, combined with Cellcept. Long story short, I ended up going to the ER, doing a CT scan, and then having to see an Infectious Disease doc and she put me on Voriconazole, which is improving it with some side effects, and we also discontinued the Cellcept.

Prior to that I had seen an ENT who put me on Itraconazole, which wasn't helping the ear right away. BUT I noticed I was constipated right before switching to the Voriconazole. I dropped the Imodium I was taking daily and now do not even need it, and have returned to regularity. Fully formed stools! I haven't seen one of those in years, I actually couldn't really believe it. No gut pain or discomfort. I've asked my IBD doc about it but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. Have any of you experienced symptom relief while on systemic antifungals??

Here's a small study from 2010 that the head of my IBD office co-authored:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2010.04444.x/full

Last edited: