• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cumulative effects of anesthesia?

Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone else has had concerns about the effect that general anesthesia has on you the more you are put under. I would say since 2012 I have been put under general 8 times (with 1 medically induced coma of over a week) and noticed on my last time that I had a difficult time with coming out of it, mainly my pulse ox was having a difficult time getting above 90 and I remained foggy for a longer period of time than I normally would. Now this could have been that I was put into a deeper state, or is it that it builds up over time? A friend of mine in a similar position had the same thing happen to him recently.

It is a bit concerning, especially when I have a surgery coming up in 2 weeks, which will be the 9th time under general since 2012 and the 4th time this year. Thoughts?

Thanks! :thumleft:

Maybe you could speak to the doctor about your concerns
Oh I have, they put a note in the file for the anesthesiologist to review day of surgery to see if maybe it's a medication issue or something else, they're gonna take a look into it