Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Is this a normal flair?

10-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
Is this a normal flair?

My daughter recently changed fron remicade to humira about a month ago. She's had diarrhea for about 2 months but was able to manage it with lomitil. The last week or so the tablets started working less and less. She started to get very weak and tired, l tried to get in touch with her GI but no one got back to me for days so on Sunday l took her to the ER. She was very dehydrated. Her team came to see her and decided to admit her to see what was going on. As she had done work placement at the hospital and was in contact with gatro patients they thought she might have caught something. Her FC was very raised but we're still waiting to see if she has an infection. When she was admitted she was on total bowel rest but yesterday they decided she can have fluids. Her diarrhea has increased to every 10 mins. I'm wondering it it normal to be going toilet so often? The plan is if no infection, she'll be put on steroids and discharged today. Im getting worried at the thought of her coming home like this.

Currently on:
40mg Humira
125mg Imuran

Dx Premature Ovarian Failure 2014

10-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
For me, and I think for a lot of us, every flare is different, so there's not really a such thing as a "normal" flare. I think, though, that you should listen to your gut (no pun intended). If it seems like she shouldn't be discharged, then tell her doctors that and let them know about the diarrhea coming back with such a vengeance if you haven't already told them that. If her FC is very raised then presumably they could do other tests to find out why - if it's not an infection, can they do a colonoscopy while she's admitted? Or MRE or some other test to see what's going on? I agree with you that ruling out an infection shouldn't automatically mean she should be discharged from the hospital. She's still ill and suffering and they need to figure out why. Do advocate for that. Good luck and please keep us posted on what happens! And I hope your daughter can get some relief soon.
10-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Agree.
10-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Catherine

My Support Groups:
FC being raised in normally due to a flare in a Crohn patient but infection should be rule out.

Due the current situation with flu Australia I am not sure I would want her in hospital if she can manage at home.
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)
10-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
The drs came past this morning and said she's not coming home whether this is a flair or infection. I think the nurses had already documented how often she was going toilet. If no infection she'll be getting IV steroids. They said this was an unusual case as when the FC is raised there are usually white cells but there are none in my daughters. Her FC is so raised its not even on their chart. I should know more later this afternoon if the results are back.
10-17-2017, 04:45 AM   #6
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
No infection. The DR doesn't want to start steroids yet as she thinks something else might be going on. She said it could be something on top of her crohns like norovirus so before starting steroids she wants to do scopes tomorrow if she can squeeze her in her schedule.
10-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #7
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wish her the best.
10-18-2017, 02:53 AM   #8
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
Scopes showed the whole bowel is moderately inflammed. Dr wants to rule out CMV before any treatment is started, which can take a few days for biopsies to return. She's still on fluids which has slowed down the diarrhea.
10-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Glad they found something- hope they can figure out exactly what is going on and get her feeling better soon!

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
10-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
pancakemaker

Hope she's feeling better soon! Glad the diarrhea has slowed some. Every 10 minutes sounds excruciating.
On Lialda and 8 weeks of prednisone currently
Starting Remicade- 1st infusion Nov 20
Tried Asacol, Pentasa and Imuran
10-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #11
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
So it is a crohn's flair. My daughter has never had it this bad before. They've got her on steroids now hopefully things settle down fast.
10-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #12
Maya142
Forum Monitor

Sending hugs - so glad she is on steroids. Is she on Humira every other week? Giving it to her weekly might help.

We also found adding Methotrexate helped.

Humira can take a while to kick in - it took 6 months for my daughter, after we had made the injection weekly and added MTX. Then it worked like magic.

Hope she starts feeling better SOON!
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
10-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #13
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
Maya, she is on it every two weeks. They did a blood test to check her levels to see if they need to increase the dose.
10-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
tree climber

I wish her the best.
im a 47 yr old Crohn's pa its hell i take subutex for the pain been.depressed and hate to say near secuide.but im a christian live in a small town in nc usa .just need some one to talk to
10-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
im a 47 yr old Crohn's pa its hell i take subutex for the pain been.depressed and hate to say near secuide.but im a christian live in a small town in nc usa .just need some one to talk to
Welcome. You can feel free to talk to me
11-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #16
tinahs1962

Welcome. You can feel free to talk to me
Welcome, you can talk to me also! I feel your pain!!!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Is this a normal flair?