Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Bone age and growth

10-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
struggleisreal

Bone age and growth

Hello everyone! I need some help.
Iím 16 (female) and my bones are aged 14. My height doesnít really bother me that much, but my size does. Iím naturally a very small person, but I have some fat that I cannot lose no matter what I do. I workout often (running, weights, boxing) and I eat healthy and Iím not starving myself or binging. Nothing gets rid of my fat and itís been months since Iíve started to workout consistently (while not overdoing it). Iím wondering if itís because my body is holding onto the fat for a growth spurt because my bones need to catch up. Is this possible? If so, does anyone have any tips so that I can lose the fat or grow sooner? I try not to let it get to me, but itís really frustrating because I know Iím supposed to be a lean person (I always have been). Thanks.
10-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #2
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Being a health teacher's daughter, I might have some ideas. I'm kinda wondering if what you see is fat might actually be muscle. If you say that you work out like you do, you may have gained some muscle doing that excercising. Muscle is harder to lose than fat.

I too am a very small female and always have been. Unfortunately, this challenge of ours can stunt our growth if not caught early enough. Like mine was. We're here for ya through this though. Lots of hugs.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
10-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
struggleisreal

Hi Cross-stitch gal! Thanks for the reply.
Iím positive that itís not muscle. I do have some muscle, but thereís still a layer of fat around it mainly underneath my arms and around my lower belly and back. Itís my arms that are most noticeable and I can see some muscle on the top, but itís fat on the bottom. I got a bone density scan so they could see if I still have time to grow and I do, so I donít think Iím stunted yet. Any other ideas? Thanks!
10-20-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't have any big tips to offer. I know that my 16 year old nephew recently experienced and is still experiencing a big growth spurt. He was taking steroids for a condition that he had. We were all afraid that the medication was stunting his growth. Once he stopped the medication he has kept on growing and growing. From being the shortest in the family he is on his way to becoming the tallest.

That only other story i can tell is I've been doing an alternative method for dropping body fat of late. I eat relatively healthy. I've also begun walking and riding a bike outside in the sun. I don't wear sunglasses while doing so. Instead I'll wear a hat. There is some writings about how bright light effect hormone levels which can help with weight/fat loss. It is why some believe in the north, during winter time when the sun isn't seen for long, people tend to put on weight.

So far I'm likely my results. I've lost body fat according to my body fat scale.

Best of luck.
10-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
struggleisreal

I'm kinda wondering if what you see is fat might actually be muscle. If you say that you work out like you do, you may have gained some muscle doing that excercising. Muscle is harder to lose than fat.

Hi Cross-stitch gal! Thanks for the reply.
Iím positive that itís not muscle. I do have some muscle, but thereís still a layer of fat around it mainly underneath my arms and around my lower belly and back. Itís my arms that are most noticeable and I can see some muscle on the top, but itís fat on the bottom. I got a bone density scan so they could see if I still have time to grow and I do, so I donít think Iím stunted yet. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Bone age and growth