Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » seton stitch - 10 months later and still in non stop pain

10-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
Madelein

seton stitch - 10 months later and still in non stop pain

Hi
I would like to know if my situation is normal? I had a seton stitch put in 10 months ago. In the last 10 months I have only had 2 days without pain. The rest of the time it's 24/7 non stop pain. Some days are better than others but I am always aware of some level of pain. I still can't sit without my doghnut. The pain is in the hole that was made for the stitch and this is over and above my normal pain from the UC.
Regards
Madelein
10-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi Madelein,

It could be that where they tied it off has worked itself to the inside of the tissue. I had that happen before and it was very uncomfortable. I would call the GI and see if you can get it looked at. For the time being some lidocaine jelly applied to the area may ease the pain.

Best of luck,

Chris
10-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Madelein

Hi Chris

Thank you for your response. The connecting points of the stitch is on the outside and can be moved quite easily. Despite that, I still have constant pain. I will definitely try the jelly, thank you.

Is it normal to still have to use the doghnut to sit?

Regards
Madelein
10-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi Madelein,

I was able to sit on a couch but nothing with a hard surface. I think an office chair would have hurt me quite badly. The darn things can be quite bothersome. I never tried a doughnut, but I have a pretty high pain tolerance so it may be worse for others. That lidocaine really helped me a lot though. The drug store should have it OTC. Make sure it's the jelly kind, there is another kind and it isn't very helpful.

If you need any more help feel free to ask.

Warm regards,

Chris

Edited to add:

The brand name here is AstraZenica and its trade name is Xylocaine 2% then in smaller print below... lidocaine hydrochloride jelly, USP

It is a Topical Anesthetic

Last edited by cmack; 10-21-2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Adding product info
10-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
I'd get it looked at. I had mine in 7 months, and by the end they didn't bother me much at all. After the first couple of weeks, I could sit without pain. I have two in, and a fistulotomy done at the same time.

Seton placement (2) and fistulotomy December 2013. Setons removed July 2014.

Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy July 2016, 25 cms removed

Current meds: Entyvio every 4 weeks, Imuran 50 mg, Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg twice a day
Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Pentasa, Sulphasalazine, Entocort, Stelara, Methotrexate, Prednisone
10-25-2017, 12:06 AM   #6
s.a.m.

I found sitting on a donut for long periods made it worse. I bought a very soft cushion that's actually intended for wheelchair seats and I found it worked much better.
10-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
cmack

My Support Groups:
I agree sam. I can see how the doughnut may make things more sore by pressing everything inward towards the seton.

Last edited by cmack; 10-25-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » seton stitch - 10 months later and still in non stop pain