Share Facebook

10-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
Julierenrac

Hi

Hi, my name is Julie and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis on Friday of last week. They are not treating me until I see the GI. The soonest appointment is in December. any advice on how to deal with the pain would be appreciated.
10-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Hi there and welcome

Sorry to hear youíre suffering. In my experience my GP was happy to prescribe things to help once we knew what the problem was. Hopefully now you have a diagnosis they can fix you up with something to keep you going until the GI appointment. The only advice is to avoid NSAID drugs as these irritate the gut and contribute to bleeding. I personally manage with paracetamol and codeine, but I know there are other options too so please donít suffer in silence, go and make your voice heard if something isnít working for you.

Let us know how you are

Currently taking Azathioprine 100mg, Esomeprazole 40mg, B12 Injections and various supplements. Azathioprine failing so awaiting next steps
10-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Just to add, thereís a big difference between treating the condition and managing your symptoms. My GI and IBD nurse prescribe drugs to treat the condition, and the GP will prescribe supplements, pain relief and other things to manage the symptoms.

I hope this helps!
10-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
cmack

My Support Groups:
Welcome Julie,

Sorry about the diagnosis. I agree with Soph though, don't suffer in silence. If things hurt be sure to ask for help.

Warm regards,

Chris
10-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Can yiu talk with the doctor's office and ask if there are any cancellations if they can write you in?