• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does biopsy confirm?

Hi all,

I am in bit of a pickle. I've had upper abdominal pain for four months now. Bloods clear, stool clear, endscopy (stomach) clear. bMs can be random but since taking Symprove they have become normal again. Anyhow..

Had a coloscopy two weeks ago. Doctor found ulcers and patch of information in the end of my small bowel. He discharged me with early Crohn's and took ten different biopsy's.

Now if it's Crohn's fine its not the best but I can start to face it. However this just seems wrong to me. Everything online people with Crohn's in this area have pain bottom right quadrant. Dihereer and possibly blood etc. Which I have neither off.

I was given one week of Prednisone which made no difference. They wouldn't give me anymore and said I have to wait for the biopsy's. Yet I'm on terrible pain and can hardly get much sleep.

Will the biopsy's confirm Crohn's for sure or are they testing for someone else like cancer and I will get lobbied with the Crohn's from observation ??

Kind regards

Hi Bodsworth

Welcome to the forum. I felt the same way, I was diagnosed with severe inflammation, yet I had no pain at all. My only symptoms were weight loss really, and some very inconsistent and non specific things which could have meant anything.

I think this disease can be so varied depending on the person and the location of the inflammation, it’s very difficult to pin down when the symptoms aren’t classic. I would advise waiting for your biopsy results to come back, and then discuss your concerns with your GI. I know it’s hard, and the waiting is always the worst if you ask me, but all will be revealed.

Let us know how you are

Hi Bodsworth

Welcome to the forum. I felt the same way, I was diagnosed with severe inflammation, yet I had no pain at all. My only symptoms were weight loss really, and some very inconsistent and non specific things which could have meant anything.

I think this disease can be so varied depending on the person and the location of the inflammation, it’s very difficult to pin down when the symptoms aren’t classic. I would advise waiting for your biopsy results to come back, and then discuss your concerns with your GI. I know it’s hard, and the waiting is always the worst if you ask me, but all will be revealed.

Let us know how you are
Thanks Sophabulous. I agree the waiting and feeling powerless is making it all worse. I can accept having Crohn's.. it means there is something to fight back against. At the moment nothing makes sense or adds up in my own head. I juat want to wake up one morning and not be in pain as I can't remember the last time that happened currently.

Yep, unfortunately it doesn’t get any easier as waiting sucks, but there is so much help on here. I’ve learnt a lot and everyone is very supportive.

Have you been prescribed any painkillers in the interim? Your GP should be able to help with this. It does get better so hang in there!

I've not been given any painkillers and only told to take paracetamol, but it does nothing. I had asked for painkillers in past but told they have a worsining effect on gastro issues?

If I had something that took the pain away atleast I could get on as normal. Feels like no release currently.

Hi Bodsworth

Let us know how you are
Agree

Hello Bodsworth.
My son is going through similar symptoms. Upper abdominal pain, good bloodwork, we're working through the possibilities but his sister has Crohn's.
I just felt a little pang, when you wrote that you just want to wake up without pain. That is what my son has been feeling too.
I hope you get answers soon. The only suggestion I have, while you wait, is to buy a regular hot water bottle and use it regularly on your abdomen. Also, distractions...like a favorite show or something that engages you. The pain is still there, but you might focus on it less.

cmack

Staff member
Hi Bodsworth,

I hope the biopsies will give you answers. They are only one of several methods of testing for crohn's though. I think you should tell the doctors about the pain again and see if there isn't something you can take. I was given painkillers along with a stool softener to stop me from becoming constipated. I'm not sure why they couldn't do the same for you.

Welcome and good luck,

Chris