Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » Brother with Ulcerative Colitis

10-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Tim641

Brother with Ulcerative Colitis

My brother was has with UC and he was doing just fine until about a month ago. His medication has been changed but it hasn't made a difference in his symptoms (he was on Asacol and then was put on prednisolone). He's always in pain and has bloody stools and he hasn't been eating well because he's always in pain.
I was wondering if anyone has tried something where they have no medication but only change their diet and have seen any results.
If so what did you guys do because I really want to try and help
10-27-2017, 02:35 AM   #2
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
How long ago was he diagnosed and put on asacol? Depending on how long he's been on the asacol, it might not work for him anymore and he may need a different type of the 5asa medication.

I know that in the past I first was on sulfasalazine and then on asacol. Each of these I was on until they weren't working for me anymore and it was time for something else. I'm currently on pentasa and it's worked well for me. I also take suppositories prescribed for me when in a flare and this helps with the rectal bleeding. You can see this in my signature.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
10-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

you can take a look at IBD-AID in my signature for diet ideas.
Your brother may also need a bigger amount of prednisolone. he should tell his dr asap if he doesnt feel any better after a 2 week intake of it i'd say. pred usually works quite fast.

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
10-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
Lizzie

My Support Groups:
Some people say they've had success with change of diet but this didn't work for me, medication is what controls my symptoms. From my time on this forum I get the impression that I'm in the vast majority in that diet is not the magic bullet. Yes, I have to eat a very restricted diet in order not to become unwell again and diet is very important in that sense, but for most of us (I think) there is no therapeutic food to replace medication. I agree with others that your brother should get in touch with his GI to discuss his current condition and take advice from them about what he needs to do.
10-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
Tim641

Thank you all so much. My brother has made an appointment to see the doctor and we'll go from there.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » Brother with Ulcerative Colitis