Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Secondary side effects of cytotoxic drugs used to treat Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis.

10-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
WorriedForBub

Secondary side effects of cytotoxic drugs used to treat Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis.

I was 5 months pregnant when my partner was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.
Unknown to me he was prescribed and took Azathioprine 175 mg and Ifleximab, Mesalazine granules and Methotrexate. I was totally unaware of the medications he was taking and continued to have sex with my partner and thus may of inadvertently subject my baby to possible secondary negative side effects to my baby through sperm and body fluids. I am deeply worried that my baby may of been hurt. I am also concerned about the secondary side effects to other children and myself - such as coming into contact with sweat, sperm or sleeping next to my partner while he is on these cytotoxic drugs.
10-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Jabee

My Support Groups:
Your baby has been completely protected by the mucus plug that develops immediately after conception. The plug keeps bacteria (and anything else) from entering the uterus. Please donít worry. You can also call your ob/gyn for reassurance. In addition, many of the drugs used in crohnís are safe for pregnant women; the doses given for inflammatory bowel disease are very small.
10-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
hello and welcome. You can stop worring. There wont be anything you or your child can suffer from being close to a person who takes our medication. Simply do not touch the medication pills with your bare hands (Aza or methotrexate) and put all of them in a safe place away from children so only your partner can touch them and you will all be very fine

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
10-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
cmack

My Support Groups:
I also think you are fine as long you are not taking the meds or handling them. I'm sure the baby and yourself will be perfect.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Secondary side effects of cytotoxic drugs used to treat Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis.