• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anal Abscess & Seton, when will pain go?

Hi All,
I am new to the forum, so hope I am posting this in the right place.

6 weeks ago I was admitted to Bournemouth Hospital (UK) with a very painful perianal abscess. They performed an op, and I came around to find out they had put a drain seton in. So off I went home, with some painkillers and dressings.

A week later I was back in with a second abscess, about an inch away from the first one. Again, another general anaesthetic and a second Seton. In hospital a bit longer this time, but then off home with pain killers and antibiotics etc.

So here I am, about 6 weeks post first seton, and 4 weeks post second seton. But every day I still get huge bouts of pain, especially in the evening, from about 4pm onwards.

There is still a lot of discharge from both seton drain holes.

I am on 10mg Oxycodon and paracetamol. Although it appears that they don't do a lot of good, especially about 8 hours into the 12 hour slow release Oxycodon.

My question, is should I still be in such pain this long after the surgery? I can only sit down for about an hour max before I get a lot of pain.

I read about people going back to work within a week, so I am worried that something may be amiss.

BTW, I had an MRI two weeks ago, and it showed no new abscesses... so why the pain!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug.

Last edited: