Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » IBS or IBD??

11-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
ashepard96

IBS or IBD??

Iíve been suffering stomach pain for about 2 years. Itís gotten worse involving abdominal pain, severe cramping, mucus and diarrhea, low-grade fevers, and over 70 pounds of weight loss. Recently just had an endoscope and colonoscopy that found gastritis and duodenitis along with the colonoscopy showing I had terminal ileum inflammation along with these bumps on the inside. Are these regular IBS syptoms? Or should I see someone else for another opinion
11-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Tuff

My Support Groups:
IBS does not cause inflammation or ulcers, does not damage the intestines. I would get a second opinion.

Stelara, Warfarin, calcium, Vitamins B12, D.
Previously: 5-Asa, Cipro, Flagyl, Prednisone, Aza, Remicade.
Pulmonary Embolism, DVT's, osteopenia, Peripheral neuropathy.
11-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
Definitely not IBS. I would say sounds pretty classic Crohnís but there could be other potential causes.
11-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
cmack

My Support Groups:
I agree, you should get a second opinion. Something is definitely going on that needs to be treated.
11-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Get another opinion.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
11-11-2017, 05:15 AM   #6
smada15

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

I have to agree with everyone else and say push further. IBS is an easy way out for doctors but itís also a functional disorder and does not a physically inflaming or damaging characteristics.

I have the same visible signs as you - terminal ileum inflammation and ulcers as well as inflammation in stomach and duodenum, and thank goodness IBS hasnít come up since that finding. My diagnosis has not yet been changed conclusive, but Iím just glad itís never been defined as IBS. I think I would have gone crazy at my poor doctor if they said that to me.

Best of luck with your second opinion!
11-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Bufford

My Support Groups:
Get another opinion, IBS is milder and does not create the symptoms and damage you are describing.
11-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #8
David
Co-Founder

Welcome to the community. As others said, it is DEFINITELY NOT IBS as there is not inflammation associated with IBS. If your gastro was unsure, definitely find a new GI doc.

Did they put you on any medications?
11-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #9
MissLeopard83

My Support Groups:
Iíve been suffering stomach pain for about 2 years. Itís gotten worse involving abdominal pain, severe cramping, mucus and diarrhea, low-grade fevers, and over 70 pounds of weight loss. Recently just had an endoscope and colonoscopy that found gastritis and duodenitis along with the colonoscopy showing I had terminal ileum inflammation along with these bumps on the inside. Are these regular IBS syptoms? Or should I see someone else for another opinion
I have severe IBS-M but it doesn't cause weight loss or fevers. I would seek a second opinion - preferably from a GI doctor who specializes in Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » IBS or IBD??