Share Facebook

11-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
BasedJawline

My Support Groups:
Rifaximin

I finished a course of rifaximin a month ago and my symptoms completely disappeared. I have crohn's disease and was in a bit of a flare up - bit of blood in stools, sloppy/sticky unformed stools and bad indigestion. Also was taking humira which I've been on the last 8 years.

Anyway off it a month and now my indigestion is back (and quite bad - vomited yesterday).

Just wondering anyone on it long term?

Also, how does this not show, at least in my case, that the cause of my crohn's is bacterial related? Why can't they find an antibiotic to cure it then or prescribe fecal transplants more readily and easily?
11-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
Scipio

My Support Groups:
As you know, Rifaximin is an antibiotic. But the fact that it cleared up your symptoms does not necessarily indicate that the cause of your disease is bacterial. That might be the case, but it also might not because many antibiotics, including Rifaximin, also have a direct anti-inflammatory effect. So did your symptoms decrease because the drug killed off some harmful bacteria, or did they decrease because the drug knocked the inflammation down? Hard to say for sure.
11-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
BasedJawline

My Support Groups:
As you know, Rifaximin is an antibiotic. But the fact that it cleared up your symptoms does not necessarily indicate that the cause of your disease is bacterial. That might be the case, but it also might not because many antibiotics, including Rifaximin, also have a direct anti-inflammatory effect. So did your symptoms decrease because the drug killed off some harmful bacteria, or did they decrease because the drug knocked the inflammation down? Hard to say for sure.
Would you know the mechanism of an antibiotics potential mechanism as an anti-inflammatory? Wiping my gut bacteria (potential overgrowth) which can potentially be causing inflammation? Sounds more unlikely that it is indirectly wiping a bacteria causing my crohns in the first place tbh. I might be too zoned in that it is bacteria though and I'm not open to other ideas. Sick of the propaganda type bs that it is auto-immune with 0 actual evidence of that. Crohns is a joke to me (sorry for the mini-rant)
11-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
curlywurly

My Support Groups:
Hi basedjawline
I have been put on Rifaximin for the next two weeks due to small intestine bacterial overgrowth I have been told it has nothing to do with crohn's.
I have crohn's colitis & Hiatus Hernia I have recently been bloated with nausea and heartburn, maybe you have SIBO?