• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bwv

Hi can anyone give advice what to eat or not to eat or drink with Crohn's when u have a flare up all i am having is questran 4mg or when u dont have flare ups x

Hi can anyone give advice what to eat or not to eat or drink with Crohn's when u have a flare up all i am having is questran 4mg or when u dont have flare ups x
I myself am in a Flare right now. Lots of water, puddings, cream soups, sounds crazy but baby food like bananas nothing acidic. I eat mashed potatoes and vegetables that are pureed. The gut doesn't have to work too hard to break down. Drink ensure or boost. Hope this helps.

Thanku i try this dont want to try food caus dont like pain after but i think i need crohns meds nowbut worried about the sideaffects x

Thanku i try this dont want to try food caus dont like pain after but i think i need crohns meds nowbut worried about the sideaffects x
Some side effects are either not so bad or horrible. They gave me an antidepressant to calm my stomach and wow the mood swings and incredible weight gain was terrible. I do take an anxiety medication which helps. I'm currently not on any meds. I had a major surgery and now lost my insurance. I just try to watch my diet extremely close. I know several people who take remicade with no side effects.

D

Deleted member 431298

Sorry to hear you are in a flare. The IBD-aid by the University of Massachusetts Medical School is a good place to start. Food items are divided into stages, so that stage one is for when you are in a flare, stage two is when you are having intermittant symptoms, and stage three is when you achieve remission.

Here is an excerpt of an article written about the efficacy of the diet:

Results
Of the 40 patients with IBD, 13 patients chose not to attempt the diet (33%). Twenty-four patients had either a good or very good response after reaching compliance (60%), and 3 patients’ results were mixed (7%).[...]

After following the IBD-AID, all (100%) patients were able to discontinue at least one of their prior IBD medications, and all patients had symptom reduction including bowel frequency. [...]

Conclusion
This case series indicates potential for the IBD-AID as an adjunct dietary therapy for the treatment of IBD. A randomized clinical trial is warranted.

I hope this helps. (It did for me!)

scottsma

Bland food is good.Bananas,apple sauce,toast,chicken (no skin).Keep away from greasy or spicey food,red meat,and eat little and often.No seeds,nuts or popcorn,which I love.
I am not taking any meds except Loperamide when I'm loose and Tramadol and Amytripilyne for pain,but when I flare and have blood loss a short course of steroids ( prednisolone) usually puts things right.I hope you feel better soon