Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Remicade and Shingles?

11-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
bethw

Remicade and Shingles?

I have been on Remicade for four years but recently increased from every 8 weeks to every 6 weeks due to a recent flare. I also take Imuran and just finished a two-month prednisone taper (due to the flare). This last week I was diagnosed with shingles. It started with swollen lymph nodes and pain, then the rash developed. It was miserable. I ended up in the hospital and the doctors there said I likely got it because I am immune suppressed from the medications. Anyone else experience shingles while on Remicade? I do see my GI doc tomorrow to get his take on things.
11-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I did not get shingles while on Remicade but I know that some drugs for Crohn's can leave you more susceptible to sickness
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
11-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Yup, I had shingles on my torso....it popped up between infusions...did not need to be hospitalized thankfully as I had it caught fairly quickly - was VERY painful though and I did have a week off work until the blisters healed over.

My GI only made a note in my chart, no change in treatments or any special precautions.

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
11-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
northwesterner

My Support Groups:
Yep, had it on my torso, lower right quadrant.

I went to urgent care and they prescribed Valtrex and that helped a lot.

I didn't even think to mention it to my GI ... until about a year later he was examining my stomach and noticed the scarring...

"What's going on here?"

"Oh, I had shingles about a year ago..."

"Uhm, you might have mentioned that sooner."

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Remicade and Shingles?