• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Metronidazole

Hi everyone

I'm new here! I don't have Crohn's disease myself but my boyfriend of 8 years has it. He has had an ilestomy bag since 2010 and has been fairly well since then. He has had occasional flare ups but this year has been the worst in a while.

He became unwell in March and spent 10 days in hospital being given antibiotics. He has had 2 MRI scans since March the most recent one was 8 weeks ago and it took 6 weeks to get results from the consultant at the hospital. He was told there's another infection which requires antibiotics so he is on metronidazole 3 times a day for 6 weeks.

The medicine actually makes him feel even worse as the taste it leaves on his tongue makes him gag and feel sick sometimes actually vomiting.

He is also waking up every night about 2am for 2 hours meaning he is very tired at work the next day, this has been going on for a few weeks now. He also constantly has a sore stomach which he explains feeling like trapped gas all the time.

I'm really just looking to see if anyone has had any similar experiences when on this medication and any recommendations?

He is going to bed every night with a hot water bottle on his stomach and is now trying peppermint tea to see if it helps the stomach pain. It's effecting his appetite too which has already been poor due to the active crohn's.

Personally, I feel he has been a bit neglected by the hospital as 9 months with no Crohn's medication is such a long time! :sign0085:

Antibiotics have been used for CD for some time now. Another one is Ciprofloxacin which is better tolerated.
Usually they put you on prednisone for flare-ups. I have been put on another steroid Budesonide (Entocort EC) as well
I'd be questioning the GI or get a new one, as to better drugs for CD than antibiotics, esp metronizadole.