• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy mindset ?

I am having my 4th colonoscopy next week. Had Crohns for 12 years now . Before i had a baby with my wife , i was pretty relaxed going into a colonoscopy . I just hated the prep. Now that i have a baby ... the stakes are higher for me . I’m really nervous about my next colonoscopy. What if they find a polyp ? What if they find cancer ?

My symptoms are the same as when i had my colonscopy 3 years ago (which went well ... only minor inflammation was found ) .

I guess my question is , what is YOUR mindset going into a colonscopy ? Are you scared ? Nervous ? Positive ? I mean , I’m probably going to have them every 2 years moving forward , so I’d like to not be so nervous every time i have one ... maybe my mindset is off about this ...?

You have support here. I have them every two years. Don't worry.
Thank you for the support . But what is your mindset going into a colonoscopy ? Are you nervous ? Why or why not ?

Furthermore , if people are having them every 2 years, then should they worry less ? For example , if a normal person (who doesn’t have crohns or IBD gets a colonoscopy every 5-7 years , then in that time period , a polyp can turn cancerous , right ? So if I’m having one every 2 years , don’t i have a higher chance of having my GI find a polyp before the polyp becomes cancerous ?

I guess I’m trying to find a silver lining here

I am not nervous. I would think if they are done more frequently the better chance of finding something before it turns into a bad thing.

I'm pretty blase about testing. I have pap tests and mammograms, and a colonoscopy is just another one. Think of it as preventive medicine. Are you suffering from anxiety? After the baby, you're now worrying about dying? Maybe you should talk to somebody about that. :ghug:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm with Tuff- after over 30 scopes, it's keeping an eye on things..... I've had polyps found over the years, no issues with them. I'd rather have the scopes done more often to find any potential issues before they become an issue than go years between and suddenly find a problem that could have been caught earlier.

My daughter is 12 now, I worry more about the world we live in today than any testt results.....

I hear polyps take 5-10 years before turning into cancer . So what are the odds that i have cancerous polyps now , considering i had none 3 years ago?

I would assume the odds are low , right ? Hopefully worst case they find a polyp and remove the thing before its an issue ....

I'm with Tuff- after over 30 scopes, it's keeping an eye on things..... I've had polyps found over the years, no issues with them. I'd rather have the scopes done more often to find any potential issues before they become an issue than go years between and suddenly find a problem that could have been caught earlier.

My daughter is 12 now, I worry more about the world we live in today than any testt results.....
Agree

You guys are right ... i need to relax . It’s not like i haven’t had a colonoscopy for 10’years and i have no idea what’s going on with me ..

Bufford

Colonoscopys are routine, I just wish I could collect points, by now I could travel the world for free. I don't like the prep and its the one thing I do dwell upon, the results not so much. I don't always like the doctors choice of words when he discusses what he sees during a scope such as "I'll take some samples these look interesting". However, I feel that I am in good hands, and that anything found will be early before it can do much more damage.

Bufford

I've been having colonoscopies done aprox once every 2 years as part of screening and maintenance. The polyps have a habit of needing to be removed, and monitoring the stricture where the resection comes together for the remaining colon and small bowel I have been doing okay. The GI also scopes my rectal area below my stoma, that area needs monitoring more so due to the mass of scar tissue and inflammation. I'd like to have my rectum removed to reduce the risk of cancer, but the doctor is opposed to the surgery at this time.

Bufford

I hear polyps take 5-10 years before turning into cancer . So what are the odds that i have cancerous polyps now , considering i had none 3 years ago?

I would assume the odds are low , right ? Hopefully worst case they find a polyp and remove the thing before its an issue ....
Don't fear the polyps too much, most of them are benign, and by having regular scopes the doctor can remove them long before they get a chance to become malignant. I've had no issues after polyps have been removed, if anything my appetite improves.

Scipio

I am having my 4th colonoscopy next week. Had Crohns for 12 years now . Before i had a baby with my wife , i was pretty relaxed going into a colonoscopy . I just hated the prep. Now that i have a baby ... the stakes are higher for me . I’m really nervous about my next colonoscopy. What if they find a polyp ? What if they find cancer ?
What if the cancer is there but you don't get the colonoscopy so they don't find it in time for it to be treatable? With the stakes higher due to having a baby you want to find cancer or other serious problems. Find them early and get treatment. The colonoscopy doesn't cause the cancer, it just finds it. It was there all along, and it was going to get worse. Avoiding finding it won't help anything.

So getting the colonoscopy is a good thing, not something to be feared.