Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Wisdom Teeth Infected?

12-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #31
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Glad it is over and done. I can’t believe they only want him to take Tylenol for the pain. This whole limit the narcotics thing is really getting out of hand.
Hope his pain is controlled and he heals quickly!

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.
12-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #32
Jenn

wow! Sorry to hear it was so stressful. We just had a consult and scheduled wisdom teeth out for my son in Feb (16 in a couple weeks). Checking in with GI about stopping Humira/MTX and definitely doing abx. This is a great example for why not to wait til it's a problem, yikes. Hope he's better today and heals quickly.
other: Centrum chewable multi; calcium-vitD;
Derma-Smoothe for psoriasis rashes; Alrex, Zaditor eye drops for vernal conjunctivitis; history of asthma, ear infections
12-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #33
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, biggest lesson learned is to take care of wisdom teeth before they become a problem so that you can do some planning. We got lucky with our timing and his Remi schedule. Also learned we have crappy insurance and are footing an unexpected bill this holiday season.

DS did the Norco for one day then chose to do Tylenol only. The Norco did make him slightly nauseous, but I think he made the switch more so because he didn’t want to miss his calc test or give up driving himself to school. I wish we’d have done this during the summer or some other non-school time.
12-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #34
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wow - he is already back at school?? He recovered quickly!! Doesn't he still have stitches in or did they put in the dissolvable kind?

My girls both had their wisdom teeth out on a Monday and didn't leave the house till Friday. But we did the surgeries in the summer, so they didn't have to recover quickly .

Glad he is doing well!!!
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
12-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #35
Jmrogers4

My Support Groups:
Thanks Mehita you've got me thinking about this. I was 23 when I had mine out and hubby was high school. Jack has dentist appointment later this month and my other 16 year old son next week I think we will be discussing this with dentist.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
12-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #36
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wow - he is already back at school?? He recovered quickly!! Doesn't he still have stitches in or did they put in the dissolvable kind?

My girls both had their wisdom teeth out on a Monday and didn't leave the house till Friday. But we did the surgeries in the summer, so they didn't have to recover quickly .

Glad he is doing well!!!
They used the disolvable ones. I was expecting him to stay home the rest of the week, but he insisted on going. Today he looked visibly swollen (day 3, expected), but again, he popped some Tylenol and took off even tho pain was a four. English paper due and calc test part two today. 🙁. In his mind, the hassle of rescheduling all this school work is worse than the pain. 🙁 I just hope he doesn’t regret not taking things slower. He’s supposed to work tomorrow too. 😳
12-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #37
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes - we were told swelling is worst around Day 2-4. My girls got bruises too but not everyone has those (just warning you they may show up!).

I'm very impressed that he is going to school even though he is swollen!! But I hope he's not overdoing it . But it's hard with teens/young adults - they do exactly what they want to do!

Maybe he can text you to pick him up if he's miserable? Sounds like he's pretty determined to get all his work done though.

It is tough having the surgery during school - I think doing it over the summer gave my girls the luxury of recovering slowly.

For those who have not had it done yet, I would definitely do it over a break if possible. And we were told to do it early - it is easier in teens/young adults. In older adults, the surgery becomes much more difficult.

Even though my husband had a majorly infected wisdom tooth and abscess, they would not remove it as his age.
12-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #38
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Wow thanks guys! My 23 yr old non Crohnie has been needing her wisdom teeth out for a year now. Never a good time. She sits for OT Boards soon. I am going to push her to get this done before she gets a job!
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
12-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #39
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Glad he's feeling better! And, wow, amazing that he's back at school and writing an exam!!

Of course, they'll do what they want... no point trying to tell them otherwise!

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Wisdom Teeth Infected?