Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Why Are Holidays Harder for People With Crohn’s and Colitis?

12-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
hareyan

Why Are Holidays Harder for People With Crohn’s and Colitis?

Hi everyone, this was emailed to emaxhealth from naturals2go and I decided to share with you.

If you have Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, or other bowel disease, the holidays can be a difficult time. You’re surrounded by tempting, high-fat food. Everyone around you seems to be indulging in large amounts of everything that causes you problems.

Travel can be difficult at any time of the year. Long hours on the road or in the air make it hard to regulate what goes in your digestive system. Flare-ups might mean you spend hours in pain and have to stick close to the bathroom.

Often your family and friends don’t understand what you’re facing. You look normal and healthy, so they misunderstand your avoidance of certain foods and situations. Often, they pressure you to indulge in things you shouldn’t. What helps them celebrate the holidays might make you end up in the hospital.

Last edited by Lisa; 12-15-2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: removed links to commercial site.
12-15-2017, 01:47 AM   #2
BlueSky

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Well put!
12-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #3
hareyan

Thank you. Glad it was helpful.
12-26-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
For me it's always very stressful during this time. It begins with my working retail, because this is our busiest time of year and brings in everyone with our biggest sales. My stomach always lets me know about the stress.

Plus, I watch others around me going to parties and functions that husband and I either don't get invited to or can't attend because we're working. It gets kind of lonely around this time. So, I know what you're talking about.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
12-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #5
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Christmas isn't a happy time for everyone.It just seems that way.Holiday ads. on TV.,Shops full of light and colour,Christmas music blaring out all day long etc.Mostly it just masks,worry,illness unhappiness and sadness.Whatever it was for you dear reader,I wish you everything you wish for yourselves and your loved ones in 2018.
12-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
Bufford

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I was in the grocery store and observed people shopping for the holidays and noticed how many troubled looking faces I saw. For many its a lonely time of the year, and poverty is an increasing problem. There is a lot who live in misery, and this time of year does not help for some, particularly for surviving seniors who lost their spouse or family member reflecting upon memories of past Christmases.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Why Are Holidays Harder for People With Crohn’s and Colitis?