• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

OK to take contrast dye through g-tube for MRE?

My 12 year old daughter is scheduled for MRE next week. She had a hard time drinking the contrast dye during last year's MRE. She has a G-tube now so I'm hoping she can take the contrast dye that way rather than drinking it. Anyone know if that can be done?

my little penguin

Staff member
The contrast dye goes in the iv
I assume you mean the barium drink
Ds doesn’t have a tube
Tagging Maya142
Not sure if that’s allowed
But I would think so

Yep sorry the drink, whatever it is called. My doctor responded to my email to him really quick today and he said, yes absolutely she can use the G-tube instead of drinking it. Yay!

Maya142

Staff member
Yes! Absolutely ok and M did MUCH better when she had it through her G tube vs. drinking it. When she drank it, the first she had an MRE (no tube then), she threw up. With the tube, she got nauseous but did not throw up.

Make sure you rinse the tube with sterile water after.
I've heard two parents say they didn't think to do it and it clogged up the tube.