Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Azathioprine opinions experiences and risks

01-02-2018, 03:44 AM   #1
eagel

Azathioprine opinions experiences and risks

Hi
I have been on MEZAVANT and humira weekly injections which have not been completely working.
My new gastroenterologist has now put me on azathioprine 100mg .
My question is what are your experiences and opinions of aza and the side affects, is this just a lot of scaremongering as the benefits out way the side affects?
with regard to the side affects surely the blood test frequency would detects problems and then one can deal with them?
Would blood test detect Lymphoma or the other cancers, so one can act before it is to late?

Experience opinions greatly appreciated to put my mind at rest. i am in a corner at the moment going (running)to the toilet 25 times plus in a 24 hour period and heavy bleeding with pain etc.
Steroids caused cataract so no good.

Thanks
01-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi. I have been on azathiorpine for years. They have checked my blood regularly . At one point, they had to cut the dosage in half because there was too much in my blood. Ask your doctor but he may want to move you up to a biologic. Sending support and prayers.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
01-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I was on 6MP for quite a few years with no noticeable side effects. Everyone is different, I did have routing bloodwork to monitor for issues.

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Guerrero

My Support Groups:
I was on aza for almost 13 years, no side effects. After 11 years of remission, I developed strictures... so had surgery and switched to biologics.
Regular blood works are important and will detect most of the problems that could arise. No idea about tests to detect lymphoma in particular, good question to ask your doctor.
Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #5
Sheri/caregiver

Hi
I have been on MEZAVANT and humira weekly injections which have not been completely working.
My new gastroenterologist has now put me on azathioprine 100mg .
My question is what are your experiences and opinions of aza and the side affects, is this just a lot of scaremongering as the benefits out way the side affects?
with regard to the side affects surely the blood test frequency would detects problems and then one can deal with them?
Would blood test detect Lymphoma or the other cancers, so one can act before it is to late?

Experience opinions greatly appreciated to put my mind at rest. i am in a corner at the moment going (running)to the toilet 25 times plus in a 24 hour period and heavy bleeding with pain etc.
Steroids caused cataract so no good.

Thanks
My husband was on Ana with Humira, prednisone & then Entyvio when Humira this was over a period of a year, he had severe trembling, joint pain and said his mind always felt like it was in a fog, and he had to fight to concentrate. His dose was started at 50mg then ramped up to 250 mg. They wanted him to get to 300 mg but hed had enough and finally just stopped. It did nothing for the Crohns , neither did the Humira Entyvio and now on Stelara , prednisone & loop ilieostomy- everyone is different , good luck

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Azathioprine opinions experiences and risks