• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any natural medicine treatment for Crohns?

Gidday - I am a new member.
My daughter (30) was diagnosed with Crohns disease 2 months ago after suffering for about 10 months from what doctors told her was bad gastroenteritis. She finally got a colonoscopy and then straight into hospital for 2 days worth of intravenous steroids. She has been taking a reducing amount of PREDNISONE, along with AZATHIOPRINE, and MESALAZINE.
Her inflammation markers have come down from around 83 to about 45 (should apparently be 5!), and the doctor has told her to now take a double dose of AZATHIOPRINE so she can be weaned off the steroid PREDNISONE. But she is now vomiting every time she takes an AZATHIOPRINE - even when she only takes the original single dose.
Her system can now no longer seem to tolerate this medication at all.
She has basically stopped eating because every time she eats, it all just comes back up.
I am really worried - she has already lost a considerable amount of weight, is really tired (and still trying to work a full week), and feels like rubbish.
Does anyone know if there is an alternative natural treatment that she can try, rather than rely on these destructive medications?
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

Natural treatments doesn't really work that well for crohns unfortunately. They can be a complement to standard medication though, but it's better you dont rely on natural treatments only.
Ginger supplements helped me a lot with nausea for example... they also say it's a natural anti inflammatory.
You should told your doctor about the vomiting with azathioprin he could maybe suggest something or change medication.

Bufford

I would call your doctor now, and ask for an alternative to the Aza. There are alternative natural ways to control things, but what you are describing needs treatment by a doctor first to knock down the flare and stabilize the body.

There are a lot of natural means that you can find on this site. I found turmeric and ginger to be helpful along with a diet that excludes most processed foods. Stress needs to be controlled, taking a leave of work at this time would help.

Natural remedies for Crohn's

There are absolutely natural ways to treat your Crohn's disease. The thing is, you have to do your research and go through some trial and error because everyone is different. I've been diagnosed since 2006 and used to take AZA and never experienced any relief from it. The most important thing to do right now is to eliminate all foods with any artificial ingredients. Always read ingredient labels! If you don't know what it is, don't eat it. During a flare up, try a low-residue diet (white rice, crackers, applesauce, bananas), it's easier on the digestive system. Ginger and turmeric are great natural remedies, a lot of the warm spices actually have anti-inflammatory effects (cinnamon, coriander, cardamom...). Fresh mint is great for the digestive system as well. During a flare up, it's a good idea to try some herbal tea remedies. Some of the teas I've made include: slippery elm, peppermint, marshmallow root, lemon balm, ginger. There are so many things you can try, so I'm so glad you asked the question and I think if you are persistent you'll start to find some natural remedies that make a good difference for your daughter. Good luck!