Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Ileostomy Reversal Surgery

02-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #1
Ileostomy Reversal Surgery

Crohns since I was 10 yrs old. Currently taking Remicade.

I recently had Ileostomy reversal surgery after three months. The surgery itself was not painful. The post surgery has been lets say unpleasant. My surgeon said I would be going to the bathroom a lot after the surgery, but 12-15 times a day is crazy. Everything I have read about reversal surgeries this is on par for most people. Everybody is different for when their bowels decided to wake up. If anyone has had the same surgery, I would like to know your experiences and how long it took for your bowels to wake up.
02-15-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hello asm191...
Sorry to hear of the problems you are enduring and hope you will soon feel better.
I have not had this type of surgery but with the bowel resections I have had it has always taken
a long time to get back to reasonable living...usually many months.
It can be a very gradual process.
Someone who has had the same surgery as you will be able to compare notes with you and
hopefully will be along to help you.
02-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
Thank you. I also have had 2 bowel resections. 5 years ago (8 inches) and one in November (5 inches). I was able to come back from them pretty quickly it was just the pain from surgery that go to me.
02-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
I've had three re connections in the last 10 years. Every single time I have to go to the bathroom 3x more than usual. I lost the ability to hold it in, so when I got reconnected I was camping in the bathroom.

We are all different but I would think that this is normal. After 1 month or so it will get back to normal.
I'm the Rat Man!!
DX - CD summer of 1987
Current Meds -
Getting Remicade every 8 weeks
Getting 5mg now. full dose. cost 5500$ )
Purinathol 75mg a day

3 resections
2 colostomy
One Ileostomy
Back to normal since May 2015
On Remicade Since April 2011 I am alive again!
02-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
Hi, I had my reversal done on the 14/06/17 after i lost about 4 feet of combined colon and small intestine, on good days I'm going 3 times, possibly 2, but i would say I'm averaging 4 at the moment, usually formed in the morning and softer in the day depending on what I eat. My issue is I love chocolate etc and fatty foods, so that doesn't help.

Take care
02-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
I had my reversal a couple of years ago. Today I go usually 3-5 times day and only very rarely formed. Things do get better with time.
02-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
I had a temporary for 12 years. It was ROUGH for the reversal. It took a long time for everything to start back up again. Eventually it did, but it took about 2 months for it to really get "normal"

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Ileostomy Reversal Surgery