• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is it Crohn's Disease?

Hi all! I am new here and was hoping to get some help from everyone suffering from Crohn's. I have been suffering from chronic diarrhea (that are sometimes black and tarry) everyday 3-6 times a day for over 5 years now. Rarely, do I get solid stool (maybe once or twice a month). In addition to my chronic diarrhea, I also suffer from constant bloating, abdominal cramps that can be severe, rashes on legs and thighs, eye sensitivity/pain (especially towards light), night sweats, and recently I have been having joint pain in my fingers, wrist, and shoulders.

I recently had a colonoscopy done a week and half ago and mild inflammation/erosion was found in the small intestine, some inflammation found in the colon, and diverculosis in my colon. My GI accused me of taking too much NSAIDS which I NEVER DO EVER!! They took two biopsies and said the biopsies came back showing no inflammation. Is it possible that I have Crohn's disease even though the biopsy doesn't show any inflammation?

Thank you to all who read this and are taking the time to respond. I am eager to feel better and just want some answers.

Cheers!

Christine

Hi all! I am new here and was hoping to get some help from everyone suffering from Crohn's. I have been suffering from chronic diarrhea (that are sometimes black and tarry) everyday 3-6 times a day for over 5 years now. Rarely, do I get solid stool (maybe once or twice a month). In addition to my chronic diarrhea, I also suffer from constant bloating, abdominal cramps that can be severe, rashes on legs and thighs, eye sensitivity/pain (especially towards light), night sweats, and recently I have been having joint pain in my fingers, wrist, and shoulders.

I recently had a colonoscopy done a week and half ago and mild inflammation/erosion was found in the small intestine, some inflammation found in the colon, and diverculosis in my colon. My GI accused me of taking too much NSAIDS which I NEVER DO EVER!! They took two biopsies and said the biopsies came back showing no inflammation. Is it possible that I have Crohn's disease even though the biopsy doesn't show any inflammation?

Thank you to all who read this and are taking the time to respond. I am eager to feel better and just want some answers.

Cheers!

Christine
It may or may not be Crohn's disease . I would ask the doctor about doing a MRI.

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Christine...Welcome to the forum..
There are other a number of other tests available for a diagnosis of Crohns and I would think it’s a bit soon to conclude that it is not Crohns.
It’s a bit surprising that only two biopsies were made.
You could ask for further tests to be done or
You might want to get a second opinion if you are continuing to get the symptoms you describe.
Please keep in touch with us and let us know how things go for you.
Hugs
Trysha

Scipio

Your symptoms certainly could be Crohn's, but IMO it has not yet been ruled in or out.

It is certainly possible to have two biopsies and still miss the Crohn's, because Crohn's lesions are patchy in nature. Also, the bulk of the inflammation could be farther "upstream" in the small bowel where the colonoscopy probe and biopsies can't reach.

I suggest you ask for a more thorough examination of the bowel, especially the small bowel, either by capsule camera endoscopy or MRE.

Also, if you are going to a GP instead of a gastroenterologist, I suggest you find a good GI. UC Davis has several GIs with special interest in IBD:
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/publish/ourteam/internalmedicine

Lady Organic

Staff member
I would suggest you forget this GI who didnt listen to you and accused you of something you didnt do. The trust relationship is broken and such a relationship will risk being highly unpleasant if you return. Drs are not all equal and its important to find one who is caring, listening and respectful. I'd go see a second GI to repeat the colonoscopy.

Thank you all for the reply. I'm not happy with my GI. He had made it very obvious that he doesn't listen nor does he care. After reiterating that I don't take NSAIDS he is now offering me treatment to treat the inflammation in my colon. Still no diagnosis, but maybe we'll get somewhere when I see him on the 22nd. I will keep you all posted.

I would suggest you forget this GI who didnt listen to you and accused you of something you didnt do. The trust relationship is broken and such a relationship will risk being highly unpleasant if you return. Drs are not all equal and its important to find one who is caring, listening and respectful. I'd go see a second GI to repeat the colonoscopy.
I agree