• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Aphthous ulcer on the ileocecal valve

Hi all,

Just joined, been lurking for awhile. I need some help. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with a small aphthous ulcer on my ileocecal valve. This was discovered during a colonoscopy I had because of a mild burning pain. It didn’t really bother me much for two and half years and then all of the sudden, it hurts like crazy most of the time and the whole right side of my abdomen has a pulling sensation. I have another colonoscopy scheduled for next week but was just wondering if anyone else had/has this experience. Thank you.

Scipio

I had aphthous ulcers in the ileal region. That along with a case of severe anemia was enough for my GI to diagnose Crohn's, albeit a mild case at first. My only symptom all this time was mild right side pain.

About 5 years later the pain started to get worse and I developed a moderate stricture of the ileum and extra-intestinal manifestations and thus had to go on stronger medicine, namely Stelara.

So my case is somewhat similar to yours. I think your upcoming colonoscopy will be very telling as to how things are going.

Thanks so much for responding. I’m a super anxious patient and have convinced myself something is seriously wrong. Were you on mediciation when you were first diagnosed? The GI doctor said I only needed medication if it really bothered me, but now I’m wondering if I should have been on it all this time since it’s now much worse.

Could a stricture cause an abdominal pulling sensation? How long are you on the medication?

Thanks again. I know I’ll find out more next week but it feels good to talk with someone who knows how I feel. My husband thinks I’m overreacting.

cmack

Staff member
Welcome Kimbo2612,

I hope things go well next week. Try not to worry, stress is hard on you. I'm not sure of the answers to your questions, but you have found a good place for support.

Regards,

cmack

Scipio

Thanks so much for responding. I’m a super anxious patient and have convinced myself something is seriously wrong. Were you on mediciation when you were first diagnosed? The GI doctor said I only needed medication if it really bothered me, but now I’m wondering if I should have been on it all this time since it’s now much worse.

Could a stricture cause an abdominal pulling sensation? How long are you on the medication?
I was not on medication when I was diagnosed. Prior to diagnosis the doctor didn't know which medication if any to give. After diagnosis I was put on occasional short courses of budesonide, and that worked well for about 5 years. Now with the Stelara, I'm probably on it or something like it for the rest of my life - or until they come up with a permanent cure for Crohn's. But that's not likely in the offing any time soon.

As for the pulling sensation, that sounds more like post-surgical adhesions rather than a Crohn's stricture. Have you had any abdominal surgery in the past?

Thanks, cmak. I’m glad I finally joined.

Scipio, I had a c-section 12 years ago, but that’s it as far as surgeries go. I also had internal hemorrhoid banding last year. Ouch.

My GI, who did the colonoscopy three years ago, said I didn’t have Crohn's. But at that time, the mild occasional burning on the valve was my only symptom, no inflammation. Now I have abdominal period-type cramps (had tons of female tests and nothing major going on there), the burning on the valve is much more frequent and severe, that weird right side pulling sensation, and I feel like I have to pee constantly (no UTI). I also now have super soft stools that either disintegrate in the water or come out like cow patty’s. I’m a vegetarian and only eat fiber, which I increased after the banding, so I thought that was the reason for the stool change. I don’t have diarrhea, or bleeding since the banding, but I can feel the food going through, if that makes sense. My colon grumbles a lot. I also have wet gas most mornings. (Sorry, if that’s TMI.)

I’m super hungry, but don’t know what to eat, as the food I typically eat seems to irritate everything. I’d prefer the loose stools over constipation, but everything I’ve read says not to eat much fiber. Ugh.

What’s your diet like?

Scipio

My diet is not very restrictive. I don't have any "trigger foods" that I've been able to identify. So other than trying harder to eat a generally healthier diet (more fruits and vegetables and less junk), my diet is much the same as before I was diagnosed.

Also, the stuff you read about Crohn's patients should limit or avoid fiber normally applies only to those with moderate to severe strictures who are at risk of a bowel blockage. Dietary fiber can increase the risk of a blockage. But if you have no or only mild narrowing of the bowel then it's usually okay to each normal amounts of fiber. But as in all things Crohn's, your mileage may vary.

Thanks. I guess I’ll find out more on Wednesday. I’m super nervous to get my results, but also looking forward to knowing what the next steps are. And I’m hoping the area that’s really sore doesn’t hurt more from the prep.