• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First Resection Appt. & Dr said Temp Ostomy if I cant get off meds. Need Advice.

I went for my first resection appointment with a surgeon after having CD for 25 years. I have severe narrowing in the ileum. I was told since i'm on 6mp and prednisone that I would have to have a temp ostomy for 4 months due to potential healing issues. Have you had a resection while on meds and avoided an ostomy bag or do all surgeons mandate that you be off meds or have the bag? Any help is appreciated. I'm devastated as I wasn't expecting this.

I went for my first resection appointment with a surgeon after having CD for 25 years. I have severe narrowing in the ileum. I was told since i'm on 6mp and prednisone that I would have to have a temp ostomy for 4 months due to potential healing issues. Have you had a resection while on meds and avoided an ostomy bag or do all surgeons mandate that you be off meds or have the bag? Any help is appreciated. I'm devastated as I wasn't expecting this.
I had a resection while on steroids and lialda. I would get a second opinion.

Scipio

I have not had bowel surgery, but I have had heart surgery while being treated for Crohn's, and they took me off prednisone prior to the surgery saying that corticosteroids interfere with proper wound healing. I don't know one way or the other about 6mp.

I have not had bowel surgery, but I have had heart surgery while being treated for Crohn's, and they took me off prednisone prior to the surgery saying that corticosteroids interfere with proper wound healing. I don't know one way or the other about 6mp.
I was put on Prednisone after my resection 17 years ago. They told me to remove the staples after a certain minimum number of days. I did not wait and removed them as soon as I could. Unfortunately, since I was on Prednisone, the wound didn't heal within the normal time and it opened up. I had to stuff a wick of gauze into the wound and take special care of it for an extra couple of weeks.