Share Facebook

12-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Trysha

My Support Groups:
skin problems

Hi Everyone
has anyone experienced bright red swollen areas under both eyes,some red blotches on face
some itching but mainly burning
witch hazel made it worse so did creams supposed to soothe= made the burning worse
who would give best diagnosis, GI,GP or eye doctor or is it best to tough it out?
I am so sick of doctors and hospitals and GP offices.
No sooner is one issue improved then another problem takes its place!!
Very depressing!!
annsplash
current meds-- metronidazole 1gram, amoxacillin 2grams, losec 4-mg daily.
these finish on next Tuesday
12-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
I'm battling a rash ATM....It is some sort of Atopic dermatitis(Pretty much an allergic reaction to something I came into contact with)...Try the GP, my GI said he's not good with rashes, but that it wasn't related to my meds.

Good news, is I got a great antihistamine that knocks me out cold. The bad news is I'm on a short course of Prednisone.
12-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Trysha

My Support Groups:
[QUOTE=imisspopcorn]I'm battling a rash ATM....It is some sort of Atopic dermatitis(Pretty much an allergic reaction to something I came into contact with)...Try the GP

Hello Imisspopcorn
Thank you for the support
I am glad your rash seems to be resolving
My rash is a bit better today so I think I will tough it out
Probably an allergy
The pharmacist offered benadryl, but I gratefully declined
I already rattle like a pillbox
annsplash
12-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
D Bergy

I do not know how long you have had this, but if it is recent, it is probably from the antibiotics, or possibly one of the other medications.

If it is something you have had a longer time, you can try Tea Tree Oil externally. Some skin conditions respond to Fish or Krill Oil taken as a supplement. Some others can heal up with vitamin D-3 supplements, if you are low on D. A blood test can measure this.

Psoriasis sometimes will slowly heal up when both D-3 and Krill or Fish oil supplements are used. My brother has been using this method, and I am now taking D-3 also, as it is Winter, and Sun exposure is limited.

Skin conditions are tough to figure out, but basically you are going to have to heal it from the inside out. Topical applications can help, but generally do not provide a permanent solution.

Sometimes you can also have a local allergic reaction to makeup or soap. I rarely use soap on my face, as I found out many years ago that my complexion was far better if I did not use it on my face.

City Water with excessive amounts of Chlorine can also cause skin reactions. I know someone that had this reaction while drinking, and washing her face in city water in Minneapolis which is heavily Chlorinated. Once she stopped using the water on her face, and quite drinking it, her skin problems cleared up.

I probably forgot something, but maybe something here will help.

Dan
12-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Trysha

My Support Groups:
Hello D
Thank you for the info---it is very helpful.
I already take salmon oil 1000iu, flax oil 1000iu, CoQ10 150mg, and a multivitamin daily without fail, as well as prescribed synthroid 88mcg, lipitor 10mg, and avalide 150/12.5.,and probiotic tablets.
I do not use soap on my face, just plain tapwater.,which is heavily chlorinated.
I drink only steam distilled water and use a water cooler, hot and cold.
You have prompted me to start bathing my face with the distilled water which I will use from now on.
The rash appeared suddenly about a week ago,but I had something similar after the upper endosopy and CAT scan both separated by about eleven days apart.
Dont know whether it is due to a cosmetic use, although the cosmetic I used was different on each occasion.All cosmetics now discontinued.
It is gradually subsiding but the skin is now peeling like after a bad sunburn.
I am using a small layer of extra virgin olive oil very sparingly and it has stopped some of the burning.Still a bit red, rather like red raccoon eyes instead of black!!
I have at last finished the triple therapy regimen for H.pylori and fervently hope it has eradicated the bug.Two weeks seemed interminable especially the nausea to say nothing of the increased bathroom visits,which now are slowing down a bit.
I don't know how I will get through such a course again., if it has to be repeated.
I am scheduled for a breath test Feb26th and GI follow up March 11th.
Just hoping for a happier new year.
Thanks so much for the support
annsplash

Last edited by Trysha; 12-26-2009 at 09:38 PM.
12-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
Peaches

My Support Groups:
Well let's hope that breath test comes out NEGATIVE - no more repeats of that yucky medicine! Hope the skin thing clears up quick - wouldn't it be weird if it was the tap water?
12-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
Trysha

My Support Groups:
Hi Peaches
nice to hear from you.
I do hope and pray for some success.
I never even thought of the tapwater, but it is not good to drink,very chemical and ruins a good cup of tea.It is from Lake Ontario.
The distilled makes perfect tea and other hot drinks.I am not a coffee drinker.,but quite a conoisseur of good teas.
In bygone days teas were blended according to the water in the various parts of England and what was good tea in the North varied greatly from the South,East and West of England. Lyons tea factory had a complete floor dedicated to blending the teas for different locations in England. Quite an art as well as a science.
Thought you might like this little piece of trivia to dilute our usual run of aches and pains!
Happy New Year
annsplash
12-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
D Bergy

I used an alternative method to get rid of H-Pylori, but it is not practical for most people, as it requires some equipment.

Manuka Honey is supposed to work for this infection, although I have never used it.

Mastic Gum is another remedy that I have not tried personally.

I would not trust the tests for h-pylori as far as determining if you do not have it. I had three of these tests, one was a biopsy, all were negative.

I did have it, as my specific treatment only works on that bacteria, and my symptoms were resolved immediately.

The tests only detect a certain level of infection.

Dan
12-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Trysha

My Support Groups:
Hello Dan
Manuka honey has been shown to have only a bacteriostatic effect so it would not eradicate H pylori.It has however been used successfully in wounds infected with MRSA.
I am not familiar with mastic gum at all and would have to look it up.
Medicine is not a 100% in any direction nor are lab tests there is always a standard error.
Medicine is an art as well as a science.
So it does not surprise me that some patients are failed by lab tests.
However, this is where the art of medicine should step in and with a good physician chances are that it will.Labs are supposed to back up a physician diagnosis but often do provide needed answers.
If we have a less than optimal MD then unfortunately we are out of luck.
Your conversations are very interesting, knowledgeable and stimulating.
Thank you for your information and taking time to pass it on to us.
annsplash
12-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Peaches

My Support Groups:
Hmmm, very interesting info re: tea making Ann. I have never heard of that but it makes sense - especially if you have really good taste buds. I suspect many of us ruin our taste buds with the unhealthy junk we eat.
12-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Trysha

My Support Groups:
Afternoon tea at 4pm is a revered English custom
Everything stops for tea.
It must be properly brewed with boiling water into a warmed teapot.
Allowed to "draw" (ie brew) for 5minutes and then poured into china teacups.
My favourite teas are orange pekoe, darjeeling and lapsang suchong teas.
annsplash