• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN - SED rate and C reactive Protein

Hey, I've been taking LDN for Crohn's for ~2 months now and my SED rate went down from 19 to 8 so far and my CRP was 3.5 and went down to .5 They both have been gradually going down. My diarrhea still isn't better, could it be that I need to wait till they get lower, and then it will get better? For example: when I was on pred my SED rate was 0. Does they need to be lower so my body can focus on healing my small intestine, instead of lowering inflammation, and then I would get better? Btw opinions are fine for responses. ^^ Thank You. :)

Hi and welcome joey.
I am not exactly sure as your figures seem to be different to the ones I get here.
Eg. When I was really ill and went into hospital my CRP went up to 168, apparantly it is supposed to be < 5. So you'rs looks normal by my numbers! Though here we don't do decimal places so the measurement must be different? Same with SED (I think that's ESR here). Mine was 100 in hospital and went down t0 44 while I was in there and it's sposed to be less than 26.
Hopefully someone else can help you out but it must be good if your markers are going down!

Kev

This is the hard part of going LDN... the nail biting time when you aren't certain it is going to work or not. The only thing I can offer is to wait till its been 12 -14 weeks... and if it hasn't demonstrated that it is going to work (sadly, nothing is 100%) then you've got some decisions to make.. whether to switch to something else... OR.. consult the lowdosenaltrexone forum for ideas on how to make LDN work for you.

It has worked wonders for me... but that is in conjunction with 5ASA and a fairly rigid diet. And every case of this disease is just a little bit different, OK?

Here is my explanation as to what often happens when you start taking LDN and the strange responses you get in the way of symptom swings. It is probably not exactly right, but I think it is close enough.

You start LDN and all of a sudden your immune system is working close to normal. For the first time in years, it has to address all of the pathogens and other infections that have been doing nicely, living in your body.

This sudden turn of events is going to cause all kinds of strange and unexplained reactions. While Crohn's causes the big D because of the bodies weak attempts at sloughing pathogens, a normal immune response does exactly the same thing.

The difference is now, with the more normal immune response, there will be an end to it. Because your immune system is now working, the pathogens will be largely eliminated.

Until that happens, you will have D, but it should end in a reasonable amount of time. I do not know how long that is, but for a lifetime of accumulation it may take a few months.

Your testing indicates it is working as it should, so give your body some time to re-regulate itself. It has a big job to do, but it knows how to go about it, now that it has an immune system that is working.

Dan

Joey:
Did you get more D after starting LDN? How are you doing now? My husband started 3 weeks ago and has been so sick with bloody D that he had to stop the LDN to give his body a rest. He plans on starting again in a week or so to see what happens.