• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fave. foods to eat when flaring?

i'm trying to find a variety of foods i can tolerate, and thought i'd see what works for you guys. I know that everyone is different, but i wouldn't mind some suggestions.

So far, i feel like NOTHING is safe! LOL. But my fave's,
Soup Broth with lots of saltines,
Lightly buttered white toast
jello
apple cider

I picked up some Applesauce, canned fruit, and ensure/boost today, we'll see how those go down. :)

Today i played with fire a bit and had McPukes....I figured if i was going to have the big D anyways, i might as well enjoy it going in!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
McDonalds CB without onions never bothers me??? Also I like applesauce and gingerale.....I can't do jello or plain broth (psychological) but Campbells Chicken Noodle always was good. Good luck and I hope you don't regret McPukes;)

Not to sound dumb but is McPukes McDonalds lol !! That would be the death of me!! I actually didnt eat that for years before I got sick. One day 7 years ago I saw a person at work with a McDonalds cup and the size of it looked bigger than his face. It looked crazy! Not that I am one for being good with perfect proportioned meals, but how they were selling something so ridiculously extremely supersized made me sick. Now I knew why people were becoming obese lol (not everyone of course!!) but people just think that they need bigger bigger and bigger! But they dont! Did he really need the supersized fries that had a container as long as his arm and a cup that was larger than his face! No! I kind of went anti McDonalds after I dont know why but I did. Now I cannot even imagine eating it if I wanted. I will do sometimes Wendys baked potato, or a subway oven roasted chicken if I am out and need it fast. I do eat at some restaurants though but always alter the meals.
But I went off subject lol sorry !!
As far as safe foods or fave foods when in a flare sometimes are good with me and the next day they might not be. I never know. Usually I will steam up some chicken cutlets. Cut them up and mix the pieces into rice. And add in a little little bit of duck sauce to add more flavor. That seems to be a favorite. Or turkey burgers. There are a few more but I cannot think of the favorites because even though things have been tough sometimes it doesnt matter if I eat the safest foods or good foods its like a coin toss and I get sick off of both a lot.

Last edited:
Yup, chicken and rice is good. Or fish and rice. Anything plain and simple like that.
Of course the real deal would be something that only gets absorbed in the first bit of the small intestine, like the Elemental drinks. Or maybe Ensure which you might be able to get easier.

My safe soul-food seems to be smoked salmon sandwich as I can tolerate wheat okay.

LOL, yup, i call McDonalds "McPukes" Don't know why, just always have. :)

Believe it or not, my chicken burger, no lettuce, with fries was the first thing i've eaten in days that hasn't had me running to the bathroom within minutes....I may have found something here! LOL.

But no, i seem to be similar to others in that no one thing is always good.....Jello used to work for me, but no longer does, which i'm alright with, was getting rather bored of it!

Oh god jello... I had to eat nothing but Jello and Broth and could only have white cranberry juice, water or 7-up to drink because they were trying to get the "paracite" out turns out they were wrong....it was Crohn's haha. I'll never look at jello the same way again. Shoulda seen the look on the cashier's face when I came through with a whole basket full of jello. And going to Tim Hortons and asking for broth, not soup just broth was a little embarassing too haha.

Anyways I love pasta even during a flare its never bothered me and its so filling its nice to feel full without the runs. Also white bread with butter is good (boring though), again chicken/rice is good, fish, SUN CHIPS!, and smoothies are great.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
My safe food believe it or not is sf pudding. Its going down easy and doesn't bother me. I also do cream of wheat. Pretty easy to digest and its good too. Cold Ice T makes me feel better when I hurt. I also like scrambled eggs.

Stirred (releases some of the carbonation) ginger ale makes me feel better when my stomach is really bothering me.

Broth, toast, applesauce, and make me feel sick. I'm sick all the time right now. I try not to eat that stuff anymore. Had a ton of it in the hospital before I could eat more normal.

T

Timmytoogood

I've had Crohns for almost two years and haven't really noticed specific food groups affecting the flair ups or gut aches one way or another.

If I stuff myself I will suffer. Candied ginger will calm mild gut aches. Otherwise, jalepenos, greasy sausages, beer, wine, (the usual suspects) - don't seem to make a difference in my nausea or the runs. A good stiff espresso will take away a gut ache while I'm buzzing from it. (I don't do a lot of caffeine so a double espresso gets me high for a couple hours.) I've always eaten a lot of rice and fish, grind my own grain, get lots of fiber - perhaps my symptoms would be worse if I didn't.

A neighbor gave me peppermint pills to try but they just gave me heartburn and did not effect the runs or gut aches at all.

bananas are great for me... I can't tolerate bread while flaring only cause I have so much nausea that I stuggle to get it down then if I do it sits heavy on my stomach making me want to puke even more.. lovely!
I also seem to be able to eat steamed veggies and also potatoes and of course my soy shake!

Bananas, mashed cheesey potatoes, naked roasted chicken, rice and also my favourite is Miso Soup with noodles I find very filing and can eat/slurp/drink as much as I like :)

Cabbage is the WORST... good grief, I can barely look at anything remotely cabbage-like these days (!!)

I'm doing a mini trial and error with coffee at the moment (in denial). I love espresso but I have a feeling it is causing some of the discomfort... :yfrown:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
iminflamed said:
Chicken and fish never give me problems, along with cooked veggies.

I am the same although I am not a fish fan. I steam everything that is a veggie.

BTW welcome to the forum, perhaps you could post YOUR story and let us get to know you so you can get to know us! :)

Cream of Wheat (lots of vitamins) with rice milk, bananas, veg stock & veg puree soups (potatoes, carrot), quinoa (grain high in protein), Good Bellies (probiotic drink) and aloe juice.
Just a side note; I have been doing some research and there seems to be a correlation between IBS and Candida (yeast overgrowth). This may indicate that simple carbohydrates and sugar are only making the problem worse. I know that safe foods are scarce when flaring, but just keep that in mind and try to stay away from sugar.

Jello, applesauce, apple cider, scrambled eggs with nothing added, baked fish, EMV supplement drink, mashed potatoes.

No breads, fresh veggies, coffee, pizza, pastas, roast beef, ham, etc.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ms Cordelia said:
Cream of Wheat (lots of vitamins) with rice milk, bananas, veg stock & veg puree soups (potatoes, carrot), quinoa (grain high in protein), Good Bellies (probiotic drink) and aloe juice.
Just a side note; I have been doing some research and there seems to be a correlation between IBS and Candida (yeast overgrowth). This may indicate that simple carbohydrates and sugar are only making the problem worse. I know that safe foods are scarce when flaring, but just keep that in mind and try to stay away from sugar.

Cream of wheat?? :eek2: You can eat that??? I love it but major no no for me, and I do use Rice milk, and love Quinoa flakes creamier for me.

Pirate said:
Jello, applesauce, apple cider, scrambled eggs with nothing added, baked fish, EMV supplement drink, mashed potatoes.

No breads, fresh veggies, coffee, pizza, pastas, roast beef, ham, etc.
Pretty much the same for me.

Jettalady said:
Cream of wheat?? :eek2: You can eat that??? I love it but major no no for me, and I do use Rice milk, and love Quinoa flakes creamier for me.
My husband is the crohnie, but he tolerates wheat pretty well. He can't handle anything with dairy, eggs or soy.

nogutsnoglory

Gingerale after letting the bubbles out.
Smoked salmon slices on white bread.
clear broth soup w/ crackers
cottage cheese
ensure
yogurt
jello
italian ice
potato dishes
rice dishes

rygon

I love KFC tower burger if feeling ill..well actually I like them when im not as well.
Other comfort foods are miso soup (with spring onions and rice noodles) and rice, cheese sauce, onion, boiled egg, peas and chicken mixed up nom.

JELLY :D (jello in america) its so good to eat when your having a flare up and so is lightly buttered toast :) thats pretty much what i live off when im sick :D

S

samusca

I'm going through a flare up right now and I can tell you what I can't eat. Haha. Sushi was a big mistake that I've been trying to pay off for a couple hours now. Sheesh.
I was doing alright with Campbell's chicken noodle soup, Boost, Ensure. I'm not sure of what else I can eat. I'm afraid to try because I don't want to pay for it later. I read some good suggestions that I may try. :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Samusca, welcome to the forum! Maybe you could tell us your story on a MY story post, so everyone can greet you. Eating is a hit and miss, we never know what is going to get us or makes us feel better. Really hard to avoid foods you really love but doesn't love your gut. Glad you found us.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
What I dont get is when you eat apples, no skin...ever, it is fiber city, and if you eat it as a sauce it binds you up.. Weird.