• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Butt pain and a new bump?

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
I have had pretty bad butt pain recently. It sometimes feels like its being grabbed from the inside. It grabs for a min then lets go. It really sucks when it happens because I end up squeezing my eyes shut to try and stop the pain. Then my eyes start to hurt. My BMs are sometimes pretty painful too.

I discovered a new bump thats pretty sore to touch but its kinda like an on /off switch. Sometimes it hurts really bad, sometimes not so much. I've hemaroids before, but I'm not sure. Its not like any roids I've had before. Any ideas on what it could be. I have had some blood on the tissue, but I have an ulcer at the end of my colon. I've had that for a while. Doctor said that will be normal for a while until it gets better. Just fo back in if there's a lot of blood.

Does anyone else have those types of butt pain?

I'm curious though about the on/ off thing. Its weird.

It really sucks today because its kinda holding me down. I'm about to take my oxycodone, so I can try and eat dinner with my family.

Merry Christmas!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hey Mike...It sounds like an abscess....Can you feel a bump/knot like area? I have not had one, but that is the first thing that came to my mind. Maybe Googgle rectal abscess signs and symptoms and see if it sounds similar. I'm just guessing so take what I have written for what it's worth.....I hope you feel better.

Last edited:
I'm with Pop sweety - sounds like you may need to wish your GI Happy New Year in person and have that checked as it sounds like an abscess. Sorry :O(

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I've had neither....Sorry man. Did the Google description make you think that it could possibly be an abscess???

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
It sounds though if I have one the pain would remain a pretty constant. That's the weird thing, it doesn't hurt all the time?

I dunno, when I had mine (it was internal though) I had a constant dull kind of pain but also got the odd sharp stabbing pain. However i had narrowing as well so it could have been that. Do you have a fever at all? That can be a sign of infection. Definately get it checked Mike - we don;t want you getting any sicker!
Oooh, have you had a look? I know it's gross but get a mirror and see if you can see anything, that may give you a better idea?

Sounds very much like a perianal abscess. A dose of augmentin/metronidazol/ciprofloxacin may well make it go away for now, but it'll be back. Can you still sit down...
Getting it checked out is a Good Plan.

U

uab grad student

Sounds like an abscess to me--don't fool around with those, my Dad had to have emergency surgery a few years ago to remove one so the infection didn't spread. I have never had one myself, but have had perianal fistulas which required surgery. Post surgery actually wasn't so bad--healed quickly and pain went away almost instantly.

I asked my Dad and he said the reason he didn't go to the doc quicker is that the pain was NOT constant--would come and go and was worse with bowel movements. He said a warm hot bath helped with the pain but eventually he couldn't handle it and went to the ER where they removed it. He has healed from the surgery with no complications and now watches out for symptoms like he had more intently.

Not to scare you, but I think you should take your symptoms seriously just in case it is an infection. Do you have swollen or sore lymph nodes in the groin area? He didn't have a fever (remarkably) but complained of tender lymph nodes and an overall ill feeling.

Take care of yourself and hopefully this will get better soon! :)

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
beth said:
Sounds very much like a perianal abscess. A dose of augmentin/metronidazol/ciprofloxacin may well make it go away for now, but it'll be back. Can you still sit down...
Getting it checked out is a Good Plan.
I'm not sure what those drugs do? I've heard of cipro. I can still sit, after awhile though its gets pretty uncomfortable. Sometimes its better when I lay on my side. It really is a hard thing to describe.

They are all antibiotics used to treat abscesses and fistulas (for us Crohnies - other stuff for the "normal" people). I bet you'd feel much better with some of that on board right now!! Hope you call Monday and let the doctor do a booty check on you buddy!

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
uab grad student said:
Sounds like an abscess to me--don't fool around with those, my Dad had to have emergency surgery a few years ago to remove one so the infection didn't spread. I have never had one myself, but have had perianal fistulas which required surgery. Post surgery actually wasn't so bad--healed quickly and pain went away almost instantly.

I asked my Dad and he said the reason he didn't go to the doc quicker is that the pain was NOT constant--would come and go and was worse with bowel movements. He said a warm hot bath helped with the pain but eventually he couldn't handle it and went to the ER where they removed it. He has healed from the surgery with no complications and now watches out for symptoms like he had more intently.

Not to scare you, but I think you should take your symptoms seriously just in case it is an infection. Do you have swollen or sore lymph nodes in the groin area? He didn't have a fever (remarkably) but complained of tender lymph nodes and an overall ill feeling.

Take care of yourself and hopefully this will get better soon! :)
What type of infection? I'll have to check out where the lymph nodes are in that area. Yes to an overall ill feeling. But I've had that for months, since dx. Could those kind of things get into my throat. I've had a sore throat for a couple weeks. Dr gave me anti-biotics. It doesn't hurt nearly like it did before going to the dr. Now it just feels like its got a bunch of stuff in there.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Peaches said:
They are all antibiotics used to treat abscesses and fistulas (for us Crohnies - other stuff for the "normal" people). I bet you'd feel much better with some of that on board right now!! Hope you call Monday and let the doctor do a booty check on you buddy!
Any idea on the cost of them? I don't have insurance anymore. I only have a little state assistance for general dr visits and prescriptions.

They are all antibiotics. They'll make the bacterial infection in the abscess go away, but the tract will probably not heal from the inside to the source, so it leaves a pocket of infection to fester.

The bit about sitting down is because when I've had an abscess it was pretty hard to sit down for long. Sitting to one side would ease the pain for a bit.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
beth said:
They are all antibiotics. They'll make the bacterial infection in the abscess go away, but the tract will probably not heal from the inside to the source, so it leaves a pocket of infection to fester.

The bit about sitting down is because when I've had an abscess it was pretty hard to sit down for long. Sitting to one side would ease the pain for a bit.
Pills or IV?

No, I haven't had to be on any of them in quite some time - although I always look to see how much things are when I pay my copay. Seems like the Cipro was quite a bit, that was the one I used to take chronically. You could probably get generic of the Aug. and the Metro. Do you have a local public clinic anywhere near you? Sometimes they can fill your scripts for very cheaply if they are generics.

I hope you get it sorted Mike. I understand there is a money concern there because of the insurance issue. Don't want a nasty abscess getting worse though?
Maybe it's just a boil or something? An ingrown hair? I get those occasionally. That would be easily fixed?!

Mike- I have been having the same kind of pain. Comes and goes, throbbing, pulling the towel rack off the wall kind of pain. Clentch my teeth and tears streaming down my face. It was only a little better after leaning or laying on my side for a couple of hours. I thought for sure I had an abcess. But when I saw the docs physician assistant, she said it was a nasty hemrroid and lots of irritation and give me a prescription for suppositories and samples of calmoseptine. Its a little better. At least it hasn't woken me up for two nights in a row. Yea !

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
That's good news Smurphy! I hope that's the same thing I get when I go to the dr. Did the calmoseptine help? I was looking into getting some. I wonder.....?

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Anything I need to know about that stuff? Any tips or anything?

Next scheduled appt is in Feb. I am going to try and get another one earlier after the holidays.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Apply it with a baby wipe or wet TP because it sticks.... You'll end with TP bits stuck to your bum...I used it on a bug bite on my son, and it is hard to get off your fingers...That's why it is so great. It makes a barrier, better than any Star Wars defense sheild...(cue Star Wars theme music now)