• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Comparison - Boost/Ensure/Glucerna/SlimFast/Carnation Instant Breakfast

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
IMP's supplemental drink poll made me create this thread to compare these drinks.
If you have any others to add information on, feel free.
(I only checked stats for the pre-mixed regular varieties. They also have high protien, low sugar, 'plus" varieties, low carb, easy to digest, and other varieties.)

Boost
Per 8-fl oz
Calories 240
Calories from Fat 35
Protein 10 g
Total Fat 4 g
Sugars 25 g (in vanilla. More in choc, less in straw)

Ingredients in BOOST Vanilla-
Water, sugar, corn syrup solids, milk protein concentrate, vegetable oil, (canola, high oleic sunflower, corn oils) and less than 0.5% of soy lecithin, carrageenan, salt, natural and artificial flavor, vitamin A palmitate, beta-carotene, ascorbic acid, sodium ascorbate, vitamin D3, vitamin E acetate, thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin, niacinamide, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, folic acid, choline bitartrate, vitamin B12, biotin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin K1, calcium carbonate, ferrous sulfate, potassium iodide, magnesium phosphate, zinc sulfate, cupric sulfate, potassium citrate, potassium chloride, sodium selenite, chromic chloride, sodium molybdate, manganese sulfate. Contains milk protein and soy.

http://www.boost.com/

Ensure
Per 8-fl oz
Calories 250
Calories from Fat 50
Protein 9 g
Total Fat 6 g
Sugars 18 g

Ingredients in vanilla Ensure-
WATER, SUGAR (SUCROSE), CORN MALTODEXTRIN, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY OIL, SHORT-CHAIN FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, CANOLA OIL, LESS THAN 0.5% OF: SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, POTASSIUM CITRATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM CITRATE, SOY LECITHIN, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, SALT (SODIUM CHLORIDE), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, ASCORBIC ACID, CARRAGEENAN, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, FERROUS SULFATE, DL-ALPHA-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ZINC SULFATE, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, CUPRIC SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, THIAMINE CHLORIDE HYDROCHLORIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, SODIUM SELENATE, PHYLLOQUINONE, VITAMIN D3 AND CYANOCOBALAMIN. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY INGREDIENTS.
CONTAINS MILK AND SOY INGREDIENTS; LACTOSE- AND GLUTEN-FREE.

http://ensure.com/

Glucerna
Per 8-fl oz
Calories 200
Calories from Fat 60
Protein 10 g
Total Fat 10 g
Sugars 6 g

Ingredients in Glucerna chocolate-
Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sodium & Calcium Caseinates, Sucromalt, Glycerine, Soy Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Fructose, High Oleic Safflower Oil. Less than 1% of the Following: Canola Oil, Soy Oil, Plant Sterol Esters, Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Soy Lecithin, Magnesium Phosphate, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Carrageenan, Potassium Phosphate, Acesulfame Potassium, Ferrous Sulfate, Sucralose, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Chromium Picolinate, Manganese Sulfate, Cupric Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenate, Phylloquinone, Cyanocobalamin, and Vitamin D3.
Contains milk and soy ingredients. Lactose-free. Gluten-free.

http://glucerna.com/

Slim-Fast
(Most people see Slim-Fast as a diet drink. This is only true if you use it as a replacement. If you use it as a supplement, it is similar to the other supplemental drinks.)
Per 325 ml
Calories 220
Calories from Fat 25
Protein 10 g
Total Fat 3 g
Sugars 34 g

Ingredients in dark chocolate fudge original -
Fat Free Milk, Water, Sugar, Fructose, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Gum Arabic, Cellulose Gel, Calcium Caseinate, Canola Oil, Potassium Phosphate, Soybean Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Mono & Diglycerides (Emulsifier), Artificial Flavor, Carrageenan, Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Vitamins & Minerals: Magnesium Phosphate, Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin E Acetate, Zinc Gluconate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone (vitamin K1), Sodium Selenite, Cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).

http://www.slim-fast.com/homepage.aspx

Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink
(This is what helped me gain back my much needed 40 pounds after my flare. Also pred and Humira of course. I used the powdered mix with soy milk and added flavored coffee creamer for deeeeeelicious flavor!)

Per 325 ml
Calories 250
Calories from Fat 50
Protein 14 g
Total Fat 5 g
Sugars 31 g
(Also a no-sugar added variety that has 12 g)

Ingredients in vanilla-
Nonfat milk, water, sugar, complete milk protein, and less than 2% of: corn oil, maltodextrin, natural and artificial flavors (contains barley), magnesium phosphate, tricalcium phosphate, DATEM, disodium phosphate, sodium ascorbate (vitamin C), carrageenan, salt, potassium iodide, ferric orthophosphate (iron), vitamin E acetate, niacinamide, sucralose, copper gluconate, zinc oxide, calcium pantothenate (pantothenic acid), manganese sulfate, vitamin A palmitate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin, thiamin hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, phylloquinone (vitamin K), vitamin D3, vitamin B12.

http://www.carnationbreakfastessentials.com/Products/Default.aspx

Good one Jill. I guess I'll have to check each one and see which if any besides the Ensure is lactose free as I can't do lactose right now. That Ensure website was pretty funny....never been there before.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
That's good info.....I can't do the Ensure/Boost because, too many bad hospital memories. The vitamin smell gags me. In a pinch the others seem to make a decent substitute.

My Grandma has been getting really alzheimer-y lately and she forgets to feed herself. I suggested Ensure and since being on them she's gained three pounds! (she has always been a larger woman- about 170 at 5'9" but is down to 105)

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Peaches said:
Good one Jill. I guess I'll have to check each one and see which if any besides the Ensure is lactose free as I can't do lactose right now. That Ensure website was pretty funny....never been there before.
FYI--> Glucerna is Gluten and Lactose free. The homeade vanilla tastes pretty good. Chocolate isn't bad (I'm not a huge chocolate fan as it is). Butter Pecan is my absolute favorite though.

Thanks for the comparison. Can we also see a taste comparison? I can't seem to get Boost down and although I can get Ensure down a few times it doesn't last. I haven't had any lately but if I really needed to get some extra nutrition I want to know what is good and what isn't.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Jeff D. said:
Can we also see a taste comparison?
I think that taste differs from person to person.
I think the Boost is thick and slimy, but others on here seem to like it.
I like the taste of the capuccino slim-fast. The carnation (powder) is much thinner, like chocolate milk not a shake. It just tastes like chocolate milk when made with regular milk or with soy. All the flavors are fine, but even better with flavored creamer. I drink it almost every day for breakfast, so the flavor can't be too bad. But without the creamer now... I'm about to get chubby =(

I agree, taste is deffinately a person to person thing....I'm struggling with Ensure because of memories of working in the hospital, but boost seems to be ok. I'll have to try the carnation, i used to drink that for breakfast in high school and enjoyed it. It can't be any worse than boost/ensure!

Yes, taste is definitely person to person but my thought was that people could post their ideas on the different kinds that way others could see who has similar tastes to them so they can figure out what may taste best. I find people with similar tastes usually will be able to tolerate the same things. I know I'm very picky. Like you Boost tasted a little slimy but it was mostly the smell that got to me there. I cannot stand the vitamin smell if you know what I mean. Ensure has a better consistency but still had that smell.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Jeff, just wait to you work in the hospital and poor that stuff down G-tubes etc...That's why I can't drink it..Smelly tin can-O-vitamins...Blah.

The stuff we have here is kinda yummy in my opinion. It's called Fortisip and is like a milkshake. I assume it is similar to Boost and Ensure? Doesn't have a vitamin smell/taste.

My only problem with it is that it is 'medicine'. On my walk a few days ago I went past an old people's home and saw an ancient woman in a wheelchair sitting by the window drinking Fortisip and it made me feel a bit wierd.

I could never understand how such nutrition drinks loaded with sugar can be good for us? Isn't sugar supposed to make Crohn's worse?

http://www.wikihealth.com/Crohn's_and_colitis:_foods_to_eliminate#Sugar

"Sugar is one of the most toxic foods on the digestive lining and pretty much intolerable by all those with IBD. The most deceiving part of sugar, is that when eaten it does not cause pain or bowel obstruction as nuts or a high fiber food might when eaten during a flare up. So, some think it is not a problem.

However, sugar totally strips the intestines of its healthy bacteria and replaces it with an overgrowth of the bad bacteria, leading to a condition known as candida. Sugar leads to a serious PH imbalance in the body and thus, makes it harder for the body to heal from a flare up.

Sugar causes gas, bloating, diahrrea, mouth ulcers (even in those without digestive problems). Sugar can be addictive and hard habit to break. And it can be especially difficult to wean children and teens with IBD off of sugar as they see all their peers eating it.

The worst kind of sugar to eat is corn syrup. If one must eat sugar, stick to small amounts of honey. Imitation sugars, such as nutrasweet and sorbital are also should be avoided as they are proven to upset the digestion of almost everyone, even those without IBD.

Note that alcohol behaves like a sugar in the body as well. Some find they can tolerate small amounts of white or red wine as well as small amounts of high quality vodka. But these should be consumed in moderation and avoided during a flare up. "

Last edited:
Very interesting, as Slim-fast is the easiest for me to get hold of, to see how it compares. Might be going back on it for a few days as solid food doesn't seem to be going down too well post-Christmas.

That is a good point Mazen! The drinks I was given definately have sugar in them (probably why they taste so good). Are there nutritional drinks without sugar??

Oh Im using a body building one (still has all the vit and nutritins) at the moment but have nearly finished and have brought the Ensure in Chocolate... has anyone tried this?? Im now really scared to see what its like after everyone said you can smell the vit. Also it says to mix it with water does anyone else mix it with soy milk as thats what I drink at present and would prefer to continue with. The one I have now is really nice and easy to drink! I had never thought bout the slim-fast shakes as I just assumed they were for weight lose... I have heard there not bad so maybe if the Ensure doesn't work out I can more on to them, probably more options in flavours too.

I had to do a liquid diet for a week and found the Safeway version of chocolate Ensure was actually quite tasty and something I might consider as a breakfast drink in the future for nutrition and to break my soda addiction if I can.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
saidinstouch said:
I had to do a liquid diet for a week and found the Safeway version of chocolate Ensure was actually quite tasty and something I might consider as a breakfast drink in the future for nutrition and to break my soda addiction if I can.
Heh... speak of the devil, just got some myself.

GoJohnnyGo said:
Heh... speak of the devil, just got some myself.
My fiance loves the puppy for your sig. I think I'm going to get more ensure tomorrow at the market for breakfasts. They actually filled me up pretty well and get me some nutrients when I forget my multivitamin.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
saidinstouch said:
My fiance loves the puppy for your sig.
That's my puppy! Only she's two now! She's a Labrador Retriever/Standard Poodle cross (Labradoodle).

Last edited:
Although I don't need these any more, I keep the powdered varieties in my cupboard just in case! In the UK, the easiest to get hold of are Nestle Nutren Build-up, Complan, Slimfast and own brand slimming drinks. If I remember right, own brand slimming drinks tend to be the lowest in sugar, but also taste a bit like cardboard. Complan are yummy and creamy, but expensive and the powder contains lactose. I haven't tried Build Up. Generally I used Slimfast, but I only had one shake a day to keep my weight and vitamin intake up while I was on a restricted diet (not as a main source of food). If you are needing something as a sole intake, best to speak to your doctor about fortisip or fortijuice, or other prescription drinks.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
I vote Ensure. The Boost ones are pretty good, too, but thinner which takes away from the "I'm drinking a chocolate milkshake" effect. The Safeway ones taste good but I can't seem to get them shaken well enough to prevent icky blobs gathering at the bottom (and it's the blobs that probably have all the nutrition in them, sigh!).

Cackman - you can get Ensure on prescription :)

I use the Ensure Juce plus, 1 a day, they are 330 cals per 220ml

Might help someone, fab thread, thank you

I definitely depends for each person. I also have gallbladder disease so all the fat in most drinks really bothers me. Chocolate slim-fast made with lactose free milk is my drink of choice. I drink it at least 3 times a day so I get all my vitamins.