• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tia's story

T

Tia

Hi

I was diagnosed with cd about 15 years ago, but I know that I had it longer then that. I was mortified to go to my dr and tell him that I had the runs all the time! I ended up getting a major abscess which forced me to go and I had surgery two days later. I also had a fistula which I had no clue what it was. I was still undiagnosed at this point and you'd think that someone might have asked me some questions, but no.
I was eventually diagnosed about a year later.

I have had two resections with the last one in happening in April. I know what a bowel obstruction now feels like . . . not nice at all!!!! I feel for anyone who has to deal with that!

I have been on pentasa, pred, entocort, imuran, methotrexate with little success . . . I take colestid and b12. I haven't been on anything (except colestid)
since my surgery. I like being med free, but I have been experiencing more symptoms and obviously that concerns me.

I don't mind sharing any of my experiences if it will help someone else so please feel free to ask me questions.

It is good to have a place where other understand your situation.

Tia

Kev

Hey Tia.. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum. Embarrassment over this disease affects us all... Unfortunately, because it is something people feel that they can't discuss, it usually results in people going longer before being diagnosed. When you joined this forum, you've taken an important step, one that will help others to.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
:welcome: to the community Tia! I am glad that you have joined us.

I am glad that you are willing to share your experiences, as it seems like unfortunately you have some experience with this disease. Could you tell me what colestid is? I am not sure and would like to know why you take it.

Once again welcome!

T

Tia

Hi and thanks for the welcome. Due to the amount of bowel I have had resected I now have problems with short bowel and bile acid (which usually in re-absorbed in the iliem). When bile acid enters the colon it irritates it and causes major diarreha. Colsestid binds with the bile acid so it doesn't irritate the colon and passes right through. Colestid is pill form. . . other use Questran (Cholestyramine ) which is a powder that you mix with juice. I hate that stuff and was very happy to get it in pill form. The pills are large and i take 6 in the morning. I know right away if i miss them!

Tia

A

andilynn09

Welcome to the forum - it sounds like you could be very helpful with all your meds experience. Hopefully we can be of help to you too. :eek:

V

Valentina

Hi Tia! welcome to the site.. lots of us Canucks around to keep all these crazy's in line now! lol
hope you are feeling well, and enjoy the site. lots of really nice people around.