Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Can I still take Humira/Entocort if I have a cold?

12-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
uab grad student

Can I still take Humira/Entocort if I have a cold?

Hi everyone,

I just started Humira on Monday with my loading dose (4 shots) and I'm also on 9 mg of entocort for another 3 weeks....

I woke up this morning with a sore throat and congested nose--think it is just a cold, but I was wondering if I should stop taking the Entocort and since I'm also on Humira do I need to call my doc to make sure I don't end up with a serious infection?

I don't want to be a hypochondriac but I know right now my immune system is suppressed and I don't want it to turn into something more serious.

Thanks for your answers!
12-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Peaches

My Support Groups:
Hmmm, I'd probably call since you just had a big loading dose on Monday of this week. I wouldn't be so worried about the entocort since it is more localized (which is nice!) - but I might be with the Humira. Yep - I'd call.
12-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
katiesue1506

It'll be okay, you can't really UN-do your Humira shots that you currently have. I would call and make sure they don't wanna push back your next loading dose, but I think you should be fine. I've had colds whilst taking Pred, Humira and Imuran... also currently have a sinus infection and I was taking Humira, Imuran and azithromycin.

I would call about your next loading dose though!
12-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
If you have a sore throat, always get it checked out. Even if it is just mild. The ant inflammatory meds can really mask the pain associated with a strep infection.
12-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
uab grad student

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I called the doc's office and they said to continue taking all my meds. Like Katie said, I can't undo the Humira and they said Entocort should be fine to keep taking.

They did insist that I pay attention to my symptoms, however, and go in to my regular doc if they get worse or I get a fever. So, I was being over cautious but I guess better safe than sorry...
12-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Peaches

My Support Groups:
If your throat gets red like the color of a stop sign (this is what my GP would tell me) - get your booty in there and get strep tested - that is the main worry at this point. And as Katie said, if it is time for your next Humira shot - and you are still feeling crappy - better call and make sure it is ok to do it. Hope you feel better!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Can I still take Humira/Entocort if I have a cold?