Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Help for people who canít do dairyÖ

12-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Jer's Girl

Help for people who canít do dairyÖ

So, I have been off of dairy for at least 8 or 9 years now. If I had any dairy at all I was very sick, so I just gave it up all together. Then I started researching why some people with Crohnís canít tolerate dairy. As it turns out, we are no different from any one else who is lactose intolerant. Basically (to my understanding) when a person who is lactose intolerant eats dairy, it curdles in their stomach, which is what caused the gas and diarrhea. So, I thought, if I am really just lactose intolerant, then I should be able to take something for that right? I tested a few things out, and I figured out what works, and now I can have dairy whenever I want. So, now you all have your own personal guinea pig so that you donít have to do the trial and error that I went through. These things arenít cheap, but if you want to try dairy again it might be worth it to you.

Here is what works for me. First, I take Digestive Advantage lactose intolerance pills once a day (they also make a probiotic specifically for Crohnís patience if you want to try it out. They are pretty expensive, so Iím just going to stick with the lactose ones). To start, you have to take two pills a day for the first few days, then on the third day, you go down to one pill and you can start trying dairy. From then on, you just take one of those a day whenever you like (it doesnít have to be with a meal).

Secondly, I take a Lactaid Fast Acting pill each time I eat dairy for an extra bit of dairy confidence. I have tried each on their own, and I have found that I really need both if I want to avoid dairy side effects. This combo works amazingly well for me. Like I said, it can get kind of expensive, but it is worth it to me to be able to eat dairy again without any pain or sickness. It is good for us Crohnies to get calcium and vitamin D too, so it is healthier is some ways if you can find a way to work dairy back into your life. Both of these are over the counter and can be found everywhere.

As a disclaimer, I am also doing pretty well right now and probably wouldnít be messing with dairy at all if I was in any kind of flair just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps. Good health and happy eating to you all!!!
12-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Peaches

My Support Groups:
Thanks for that JG! I have done the Lactaid fast acting pills for years and have just started feeling like they don't work so well for me anymore. I gave up dairy a few months ago - but I miss it. I'll have to look for that other pill.
12-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Jer's Girl

Try the Digestive Advantage lactose intolerance pills. I think they are great. Sorry you have to live without dairy for a while. I could do it again pretty easily, but I would be sad. It seems that now that I can have dairy, it is all that I want! Good thing I am in the proccess of trying to put some weight on LOL!
12-31-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
teeny5

My Support Groups:
Great tips! I have trouble with dairy. One question...can you become lactose intolerant all of a sudden? I remember drinking tons of whole milk then figuring out in high-school that milk was no longer my friend. What's up with that?

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
12-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Jer's Girl

Sadly yes. You can develop allergies at any time. I was fine with dairy too until my Crohns got bad. This has really worked for me though, but I have to use both for it to work.
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
pb4

I find that taking a good probiotic daily cleared up my severe lactose intolerance issues.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Help for people who canít do dairyÖ