• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi

Hello, I am newly diagnosed with Crohns disease(May 2009). I also have Auto Immune Hepatitis( 1987). My Doctor has recently increased my Imuran(Hepatitis treatment) from 1-50mg pill a day to 3-50mg pills a day in an attempt to control the Crohns also. If this does not work he has mentioned Remicade or Humira treatment next. I have experienced severe joint pain( still on going), anal fissures(healed), leg ulcers(healed) and fistulas(draining) ,among other symptoms this past year! I will be turning 40 this spring, but feel 80! I am also taking Celebrex for the joint pain. Has any one else experienced the severe joint pain? When the Celebrex wears off, I can hardly move! I just want to feel better soon! I have 3 children ages 18,14 and 10 and work full time.
P.S. This forum is wonderful!

Welcome Can! Great to have you here. I can't help much with your questions, but there's a ton of information here and great people who are very supportive :) Make yourself at home!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Can....Sorry you are having so much joint pain. I have had joint pain, but nothing near what you are going through. Did you a Rheumatologist? I wonder if the Remicade/ Humira would help with your joint pain as well as the Crohn's....Good luck. And I'm glad you found this forum.

Welcome Can!! The only time I had super bad joint pain was right before I was diagnosed and my disease was at its most active state (because I wasn't on medication). I am sorry you are struggling with that - doesn't sound like you need one more thing! I'd do what IMP suggests and see a Rheumy if you already haven't as they may be more adept at tackling that type of issue. Good luck!

Hi Can I am so sorry to hear about your problem. I was supposed to have auto immune hepatitis about 20 years ago but my symptoms disappeared and my Dr now thinks that was the start of my crohns. I do have joint pain but it doesn't seem to be as bad as yours good luck hope you find a good rheumatologist. I have and it really helps.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome Can! I know the feeling of being 40ish and feeling 8ish. My arthritis comes and goes, but have been for the most part pretty good. Remicade could be the answer for you for treatment, helps the arthritis too.

Just to let you know Nsaids, are very hard on the gut, but I understand your need to be out of pain. I can't imagine what you are going thru, but we are all here to help you get through it. Take care, keep us posted!

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
welcome to our liltle family. i cant help you with your joint pain,sorry,but there are people on here that can.

Welcome Can! I haven't had the joint pain, but my father has had awful rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and bowel problems. He found a lot of relief from Enbrel (another TNF inhibitor, however, it isn't usually given for Crohn's) so I would say if you do start Remicade or Humira for your Crohn's it will also probably help you with the joint pain.

Sorry I can't help more, but you will find others on this forum very helpful and their support is second-to-none. :)

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi Can!
I was just going to say that the Humira or Remi might help with your joints, but everyone already said it. I have had a great experience with Remicade so far.
Welcome to the forum!
MBH

Welcome Can! :)
i don't have much to offer, i haven't been around here much, but i have found plenty of support. Hopefully things improve shortly for you!

Thanks !

Thanks everyone for the great Welcome! I am seeing a Rheumatologist. He prescribed the Celebex. But in Dec. recommended to my Gastroentologist(sp?) that I go on something stronger for the crohns, ie Remicade. But when I saw Gastro dr.(mid Dec.) he wanted to not go BIG GUNS yet. He wants to not rule out Imuran yet(3-50mg/day-was 1/day). I go back to Gastr. in Feb. If I am not improving then, he will consider the Remicade or Humira. Our whole family likes to ski doo, so I am hoping to feel better so I can join them on some outings! We are getting lots of snow here in Canada !

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Can, what part of Canada are you from? We used to love skidooing but since we are in an area where it is too cold to snow, we sold our machines... I really miss it. Last night it got down to -41c and even plugged in my car, called the towing guy to come .... he couldnt get his going either lol... Only in Canada!

I am in New Brunswick. We have a camp we ski doo to almost every weekend. There is always lots of food, company, fun, and skidooing! We play cards, board games, go on cookouts,etc.... My husband wants us to go on a weekend ski doo trip around the province with 2 other couples. I got a new jacket and gloves for Christmas. Hoping I am able to go , my season got cut short last year, had a major flare up March. Keeping my fingers crossed.

That sounds like LOTS of fun Can! Hope you feel well enough to do it. Well.....I just wonder if the Remi would help those creaky joints!! Best to give the Imuran a go first I guess. Hopefully things will settle down for you.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Hey Can, I just thought of something, but since your pain is severe, it may be a really dumb suggestion.

Have you tried MoveFree? I have chondromalacia patella and sacroiliac joint disorder and MoveFree helped me for a long time.

If you're not familiar with it, it's a supplement that contains glucosamine (builds and strengthens joint cartilage) and chondroitin (attracts water, contributing to resiliency and cushioning effects of cartilage).

Anyways, may not work, but just a thought......